Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricians in Oz?

Electricians in Oz?

Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:39 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians in Oz?

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi, my OH is a fully qualified electrician with all the UK relevant qualifications, ie: City & Guilds etc, hes always been a Sparky since the age of 16, now from reading the forum and feedback it apprears he will have to complete some form of re-training for him to be able to get his Class A licence to be self employed, Can anyone tell me or help me to find out whether he can just do a crash course, let say 6 months college course to qualify to Oz standard here in the UK or in Oz, As i really cant see him doing a 4 year apprentiship for $13 per hour.

Sorry for rambling, any help would be much appreciated.
where abouts do you intend emergrating too ???
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:36 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve, we are heading Brisbaine. (forgot to say OH is now 33, so has a lot of years experience)
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:30 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve, we are heading Brisbaine. (forgot to say OH is now 33, so has a lot of years experience)
check out http://www.qet.edu.au/
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:38 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for that.
Also does anyone know of and Electrical Regs book for Oz, i have already got the electrical safety book. Thank you
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi, my OH is a fully qualified electrician with all the UK relevant qualifications, ie: City & Guilds etc, hes always been a Sparky since the age of 16, now from reading the forum and feedback it apprears he will have to complete some form of re-training for him to be able to get his Class A licence to be self employed, Can anyone tell me or help me to find out whether he can just do a crash course, let say 6 months college course to qualify to Oz standard here in the UK or in Oz, As i really cant see him doing a 4 year apprentiship for $13 per hour.

Sorry for rambling, any help would be much appreciated.
Hi, You need to contact a private Tafe college called Peer Tec, 1042 port rd , Albert Park, Adelaide SA. Tel 08 8348 1200 ,
They will asses your hubby,s qualifications and experience, and he can then sign up for the course , It will take him about 2 week,s to do,then with the certificate they give him he can send if off to get his electrical license,
He can take it in South Australia and uses it all over OZ,
It,s quicker and cheeper to do it this way, Even if your hubby has to fly down and stay over for two weeks while he does the course.

To become self-employed, he then needs further cert,s from peer,s tec, which we call test & inspection etc this again can be done in a matter of day's, but you also need a short course in book keeping with the cert, before they give the license out.
Or quick way is if you have been self employed in the u.k and you have the books to prove it you can pay a justice of the peace to sign them off, and give you the cert.
My hubby was self employed within 2mths of being in the country, and on average invoices $65 per hour, He has also landed a 2yr contract. to a large firm. good luck
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:36 pm

hi there could you ask your hubby if its worth while me bringing my 16 in 1 tester please not quite sure if it complies over there thanks bill
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

hi there could you ask your hubby if its worth while me bringing my 16 in 1 tester please not quite sure if it complies over there thanks bill

My OH brought his and uses it all the time (and he's not even working as a 'proper' sparkie)
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi , Hubby says's yes still bring them for his own personal use, in the future etc. But they mainly use mega tester's not really earth loop. If your hubby has CK tools bring them as you can not get them here, he wished he had.
Also dont worry to much about tester's etc as they are supplied by the company you work for.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:14 pm

ok thank you