Reload this Page >

Electricians in Oz?

Electricians in Oz?

Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians in Oz?

Any reading this?

Can you tell me, do you have 'Trade Assistants' in this field over here?

I'm looking to get into the field and am trying to find out if my ONLY route is to do an Apprenticeship ...

Appreciate any advice ...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:39 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians in Oz?

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Any reading this?

Can you tell me, do you have 'Trade Assistants' in this field over here?

I'm looking to get into the field and am trying to find out if my ONLY route is to do an Apprenticeship ...

Appreciate any advice ...
can you let me know what training you have had
certificates passed etc

to give me a clue in regards to answering
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve`o
can you let me know what training you have had
certificates passed etc

to give me a clue in regards to answering
Ok, NO training or qualifications, but I DO have some experience working with my dad (6 months odd) in UK who is an Electrician.

I've Trade Assisted quite a few trades and am currently working with glass and window fitting. Ok, don't help with Electricians but I can turn my hand to anything really.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:52 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, NO training or qualifications, but I DO have some experience working with my dad (6 months odd) in UK who is an Electrician.

I've Trade Assisted quite a few trades and am currently working with glass and window fitting. Ok, don't help with Electricians but I can turn my hand to anything really.
yes you can get a job an electricina mate or trade assistant if you prefer
but i cannot see how this would help in regards to becoming a qualified spark??
youd be bettter of canvassing electrical contractors with the aim of becoming a mature apprentice

also have a word with the guys at ashmore ( goldcoast ) or yorongary ( brisbane ) tafe with regards to doing the theory elements

regards steve
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:59 am
Account Closed

yes you can get a job an electricina mate or trade assistant if you prefer
but i cannot see how this would help in regards to becoming a qualified spark??
youd be bettter of canvassing electrical contractors with the aim of becoming a mature apprentice

also have a word with the guys at ashmore ( goldcoast ) or yorongary ( brisbane ) tafe with regards to doing the theory elements

regards steve
Yeah I hear you.

I've been in touch with a few education providers and it's looking like the 'Pre Apprenticeship' course is looking fav as this makes you more appealing I'm told.

I've been trying to find out if the 4 years can be reduced as most Apprenticeships state that they are 'competence based' but that answer I cannot find.

I'll try those TAFE's you mention now, cheers ...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:06 am
Worongary

Yeah I hear you.

I've been in touch with a few education providers and it's looking like the 'Pre Apprenticeship' course is looking fav as this makes you more appealing I'm told.

I've been trying to find out if the 4 years can be reduced as most Apprenticeships state that they are 'competence based' but that answer I cannot find.

I'll try those TAFE's you mention now, cheers ...
also try chris at qet
he`s a really well informed and should be able to point you in the right direction

qet link
http://www.qet.edu.au/

hope this helps regards steve

ps where about in the GC are you guys ???
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:23 am
Account Closed

also try chris at qet
he`s a really well informed and should be able to point you in the right direction

qet link
http://www.qet.edu.au/

hope this helps regards steve

ps where about in the GC are you guys ???
I've just been trying to contact him. Thanks for the link as altho I've spoke to and visited quite a few sites and organisations I haven't come across this one ...

We've been bouncing about the Northern end of the Goldie but are back in Upper Coomera. We started here, went to Coomera Waters, then up to Ormeau, but are back in Upper Coomera as I say.

Just trying to plan for a better future! ...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through the long drawn out saga of trying to sort this out for my OH (you can do a search of my previous threads for all the info if you have time on your hands)... the ONLY way you will become qualified is by signing up for the apprenticeship for four years.

You may be lucky and be able to reduce this term (Bunbury TAFE refused to be flexible on training even though they agreed he had probably covered most of it - but he still had to go in every week!) but my OH has the City & Guilds qualiication and he basically got nowhere on this....... since we can't live off $15 an hour for four years with a baby to care for he has had to turn his back on the idea and go back to his original trade (engineering).

You will probably be able to work as a TA but it won't ever lead to getting a licence I'm afraid.

Madness, esp when our paper is full of vacances for sparks.... but there you go!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bridie
Having been through the long drawn out saga of trying to sort this out for my OH (you can do a search of my previous threads for all the info if you have time on your hands)... the ONLY way you will become qualified is by signing up for the apprenticeship for four years.

You may be lucky and be able to reduce this term (Bunbury TAFE refused to be flexible on training even though they agreed he had probably covered most of it - but he still had to go in every week!) but my OH has the City & Guilds qualiication and he basically got nowhere on this....... since we can't live off $15 an hour for four years with a baby to care for he has had to turn his back on the idea and go back to his original trade (engineering).

You will probably be able to work as a TA but it won't ever lead to getting a licence I'm afraid.

Madness, esp when our paper is full of vacances for sparks.... but there you go!
I think I've read some of what your on about, but ta for the input.

One thing, and only something I was told the other day.

In Queensland if you work as a TA for 5 years you can apply for a licence on these grounds.

Now this is ONLY what I was told, but WAS told this.

Hmmm
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:39 am
Worongary

In Queensland if you work as a TA for 5 years you can apply for a licence on these grounds.

Hmmm
carnt see this being true mate
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:57 am
Account Closed

carnt see this being true mate
Yeah the more I think about it, the more I agree it's prob wrong.

ALTHO! ... the bloke in question is a Chippy and this might be relevant to his trade, I dunno.

Ok, ALL trades can be dangerous and stuff, but a Sparks has to be up there, and prob why you HAVE to go through all the right channels.

The Government are quite big at the mo with getting old codgers like me back on Apprenticeships and are offering all kinds of deals inc one off payments, tool allowance, and even upto $150 pw on top of your Apprenticeship wage to 'dangle the carrot' so to speak.

Never been a better time by the looks of it!

Bring on PR in Jan / Feb hopefully as I can't start one till a PR!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:07 am
Worongary

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I agree it's prob wrong.

ALTHO! ... the bloke in question is a Chippy and this might be relevant to his trade, I dunno.

Ok, ALL trades can be dangerous and stuff, but a Sparks has to be up there, and prob why you HAVE to go through all the right channels.

The Government are quite big at the mo with getting old codgers like me back on Apprenticeships and are offering all kinds of deals inc one off payments, tool allowance, and even upto $150 pw on top of your Apprenticeship wage to 'dangle the carrot' so to speak.

Never been a better time by the looks of it!

Bring on PR in Jan / Feb hopefully as I can't start one till a PR!

good luck which ever way you go

regards steve
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:09 am
Account Closed

good luck which ever way you go

regards steve
Thanks, and for the PM advice ...
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm

Confirm it with the contact Steve gave you before. I can't see it myself though
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:38 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my OH is a fully qualified electrician with all the UK relevant qualifications, ie: City & Guilds etc, hes always been a Sparky since the age of 16, now from reading the forum and feedback it apprears he will have to complete some form of re-training for him to be able to get his Class A licence to be self employed, Can anyone tell me or help me to find out whether he can just do a crash course, let say 6 months college course to qualify to Oz standard here in the UK or in Oz, As i really cant see him doing a 4 year apprentiship for $13 per hour.

Sorry for rambling, any help would be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.