Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricians now allowed to work interstate

Electricians now allowed to work interstate

Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electricians now allowed to work interstate

Just spotted this today in local paper on line:

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/stories/233801.php

Especially good for GC sparks who also work a lot over the border in NSW.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:45 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians now allowed to work interstate

that is good news - MrW is doing his course in SA so it will save hime converting it to work in QLD - we will actually save money
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Well, it's about bloomin' time. I've just done my electrical licence course and am halfway thru the contractors course. In a class of 40 I am the only Pom. All the others are Aussies who've moved interstate and are upgrading their licences so that they can work in QLD.

So, Mr Howard thinks "that was an absurd 19th century system that had no place in 21st century Australia". Only took him 7 years to realise then.

Politicians!!!!

It IS good news though.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:17 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andicee
Well, it's about bloomin' time. I've just done my electrical licence course and am halfway thru the contractors course. In a class of 40 I am the only Pom. All the others are Aussies who've moved interstate and are upgrading their licences so that they can work in QLD.

So, Mr Howard thinks "that was an absurd 19th century system that had no place in 21st century Australia". Only took him 7 years to realise then.

Politicians!!!!

It IS good news though.
if you are doing the contractors course in qld why did you choose not to do it via correspondance. its only $340 and 4 assignments and you dont have to attend the tafe.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by youngy73
if you are doing the contractors course in qld why did you choose not to do it via correspondance. its only $340 and 4 assignments and you dont have to attend the tafe.
Bit late now, but wish I had. This one's costing me $700 and I only have to do two assignments, as I did the others on the electrical licensing course. Really boring too. Bloody legislation. Oh well, not long now.

It's all changing (again) next year. Apparently it's going to be a LOT more dosh and last a year!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:30 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late now, but wish I had. This one's costing me $700 and I only have to do two assignments, as I did the others on the electrical licensing course. Really boring too. Bloody legislation. Oh well, not long now.

It's all changing (again) next year. Apparently it's going to be a LOT more dosh and last a year!!!!!
i`m still studying
an introduction to law for electrical contracting business
wtf do i need this for
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i`m still studying
wtf do i need this for
to keep your mind off your pipes
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

Hey - while you are all here :-)

My otherhalf wants to retrain as an electrician when we get over there - he already has some electrical servcies qualifications that he gained in the uk, albeit about 6 years ago.

Can anyone recommend good courses or do they do apprentice courses or equilivant over there? We are headed for Melbourne and hopfully be there for Jan 08.

TIA

LH
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleHobo
Hey - while you are all here :-)

My otherhalf wants to retrain as an electrician when we get over there - he already has some electrical servcies qualifications that he gained in the uk, albeit about 6 years ago.

Can anyone recommend good courses or do they do apprentice courses or equilivant over there? We are headed for Melbourne and hopfully be there for Jan 08.

TIA

LH
Dunno about Melbourne but in QLD, IF you can get an apprenticeship, it's 4 years, starting at about $13/hour, which goes up 50c a year (woohoo), doing all the shite qualified guys don't want to do, filling in log books and attending tafe, all day, once a week.

Good luck.

Andy
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

i`m still studying
wtf do i need this for
So you know how to defend yourself when it all goes tits up chap!!

To be honest, how much of anything you've learnt/studied do you actually use on a daily basis? Ohms law is about all you need!

Andy
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

So you know how to defend yourself when it all goes tits up chap!!

To be honest, how much of anything you've learnt/studied do you actually use on a daily basis? Ohms law is about all you need!

Andy
whos the ohm guy
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;
i did the contractors license in melbourne you would have laughed its a load of s**te to be honest, a 12 week course x 1 night per week with a cabbage of a teacher who knows sod all about any electrical legislation, the exam was pathetic, the exam consisted on questions from the book supplied. some questions where not in the book so when challenged he said Oh its OK dont bother so me & the bloke i sat with did the exam together on the night and surprise we both got the same score a very high score at that.
Some of the blokes where unable to read the questions of the exam we was P*****G our self silly the contractors license is just a way to make lots of money for the electrical inspectors office
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

whos the ohm guy
Dunno, I think he hangs around with some guy called Voltaire

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
steve`o;
i did the contractors license in melbourne you would have laughed its a load of s**te to be honest, a 12 week course x 1 night per week with a cabbage of a teacher who knows sod all about any electrical legislation, the exam was pathetic, the exam consisted on questions from the book supplied. some questions where not in the book so when challenged he said Oh its OK dont bother so me & the bloke i sat with did the exam together on the night and surprise we both got the same score a very high score at that.
Some of the blokes where unable to read the questions of the exam we was P*****G our self silly the contractors license is just a way to make lots of money for the electrical inspectors office
Yep, one great big money making exercise!!