Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electricians going to QLD

electricians going to QLD

Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default electricians going to QLD

Hi there

this link is to hopefully to help any sparks going out to QLD

I assume that we all know that both an electrician’s licence and a current CPR certificate are required to work in Queensland.

What I was concerned about was that the licence application process according to QLDs own electrical safety web page took 6 to 8 weeks and that it would be illegal for me to work without one,
I read all the bumf on the web page and associated PDF file, what it didn’t make clear was, do you have to be in oz to apply?, so I asked, and the answer is no you don’t
( please see attached email from QLD electrical safety officer)

DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
ABN 52 293 849 579
Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline
Freecall: 1800 177717 Phone: 07-32474711

Our Reference: 3236
Date: 15/09/2005
To: Steve Woodfine
Dear Mr Woodfine,

Thank you for your email regarding an application for a Queensland Electrical Licence. You may
apply for this licence at any time and do not need to be present in Australia to do so. The
application form you need to complete and the guidelines that you need to comply with are
available at the following link:

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/ot...005_form11.pdf

If you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our department again.

Yours faithfully

Vanessa
Information Services Officer
Information and Registration Services
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

So I for one will be doing a short CPR course ( found a firm local that will do it for £20 )
http://www.a1firstaid.com/index.htm completing the application form, copying my TRA and C&G certs again and hopefully I’ll have my licence sorted before we go and I’ll be able to start work more or less immediately.

Hope this is of use to fellow sparks

Regards Steve
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:29 am
The Pork Pie man!

Wenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant future
Default Re: electricians going to QLD

Originally Posted by steve`o
Hi there

this link is to hopefully to help any sparks going out to QLD

I assume that we all know that both an electrician’s licence and a current CPR certificate are required to work in Queensland.

What I was concerned about was that the licence application process according to QLDs own electrical safety web page took 6 to 8 weeks and that it would be illegal for me to work without one,
I read all the bumf on the web page and associated PDF file, what it didn’t make clear was, do you have to be in oz to apply?, so I asked, and the answer is no you don’t
( please see attached email from QLD electrical safety officer)

ABN 52 293 849 579

Our Reference: 3236
Date: 15/09/2005
Dear Mr Woodfine,

Thank you for your email regarding an application for a Queensland Electrical Licence. You may
apply for this licence at any time and do not need to be present in Australia to do so. The
application form you need to complete and the guidelines that you need to comply with are
available at the following link:

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/ot...005_form11.pdf

If you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our department again.

Yours faithfully

Vanessa

So I for one will be doing a short CPR course ( found a firm local that will do it for £20 )
http://www.a1firstaid.com/index.htm completing the application form, copying my TRA and C&G certs again and hopefully I’ll have my licence sorted before we go and I’ll be able to start work more or less immediately.

Hope this is of use to fellow sparks

Regards Steve
Nice to see people helping each other out. ...You didn't have to help but you did & good on ya for it.
I know of someone who may find this very helpful and will pass it on.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

update -- Hi just received another email from QLD safety dept
re clarification of requirements for electrical licence

ABN 52 293 849 579

Our Reference: ****

Date: 26/09/2005

Dear Mr Woodfine,

Thank you for your email regarding the process of obtaining a Queensland Electrical Licence.

Once you have been issued an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate from Trades Recognition Australia, you apply for an electrical licence. If your application is successful, you will be issued and Electrical Permit to attend a Registered Training Organisation to be assessed on the Australian Electrical requirements. You are able to work under the supervision of a fully qualified electrician while you have this permit.

Once you have completed this training you will be issued with a Completion Statement. You will then need to re-apply for a QLD Electrical licence. If this application is successful you will be issued with a Queensland Electrical Workers Licence. If you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our department again.

The contact details for Trades Recognition Australia are available at the following link:http://www.workplace.gov.au/tra

Yours faithfully

hope this helps any fellow sparks going to QLD

( i also belive the same licence is required in other states so its probably
applicable to all sparks )
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:55 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha ha! After my little rant

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327965

Originally Posted by steve`o
update -- Hi just received another email from QLD safety dept
re clarification of requirements for electrical licence

ABN 52 293 849 579

Our Reference: ****

Date: 26/09/2005

Dear Mr Woodfine,

Thank you for your email regarding the process of obtaining a Queensland Electrical Licence.

Once you have been issued an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate from Trades Recognition Australia, you apply for an electrical licence. If your application is successful, you will be issued and Electrical Permit to attend a Registered Training Organisation to be assessed on the Australian Electrical requirements. You are able to work under the supervision of a fully qualified electrician while you have this permit.

Once you have completed this training you will be issued with a Completion Statement. You will then need to re-apply for a QLD Electrical licence. If this application is successful you will be issued with a Queensland Electrical Workers Licence. If you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our department again.

The contact details for Trades Recognition Australia are available at the following link:http://www.workplace.gov.au/tra

Yours faithfully

hope this helps any fellow sparks going to QLD

( i also belive the same licence is required in other states so its probably
applicable to all sparks )
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:00 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by A dogs life

just read your post mate what a carry on!