Electricians

Old Oct 2nd 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

crazy dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians

I've been searching through the forum and found alot of posts by electricians who after getting their visa granted have found that they can't work in Aus until they get a liscence. Just wanted to know if this is the same for automotive electricians? Very worrying if it is :scared:
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 10:38 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians

Cars are different here, we are still on The Flintstones method.
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 1:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by crazy dee
I've been searching through the forum and found alot of posts by electricians who after getting their visa granted have found that they can't work in Aus until they get a liscence. Just wanted to know if this is the same for automotive electricians? Very worrying if it is :scared:
You need one in NSW http://www.mvria.nsw.gov.au/industry/ind_lic.htm
I would assume the same for the rest of the country, but you never know for sure without checking.

However, reading that page carefully, it does say:

To be granted a licence you must:
* Employ tradespeople who hold tradesperson certificates and or be certificated yourself.
*A Tradesperson's application fee is $51.00

So it seems you only need a tradesperson certificate, rather than a licence, to be employed in that capacity. A reply from an employed automotive electrician would be very useful.

Old Oct 3rd 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

crazy dee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You need one in NSW http://www.mvria.nsw.gov.au/industry/ind_lic.htm
I would assume the same for the rest of the country, but you never know for sure without checking.

However, reading that page carefully, it does say:

To be granted a licence you must:
* Employ tradespeople who hold tradesperson certificates and or be certificated yourself.
*A Tradesperson's application fee is $51.00

So it seems you only need a tradesperson certificate, rather than a licence, to be employed in that capacity. A reply from an employed automotive electrician would be very useful.
Thanks for the reply. It is Sydney that i'll be moving to so looks like i'll need to find out some more about this.
Don't suppose there's any auto sparks out there can give me some advice?