Reload this Page >

Electrician work at the mines W.A

Electrician work at the mines W.A

Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:16 pm
Perth calling...

Andy the spark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician work at the mines W.A

Hi,

I am a 35 year old Electrician living in North Wales, U.K. I have dual Australian & U.K passports as I was born in Australia. I am interested in working in the mining industry on the West coast.

I have full U.K qualifications, and have done allsorts of Electrical work over the last 16 years.

However, I have never worked on any BIG heavy industrial sites like these mines, so I am unsure what the employers are expecting you to know, or expecting you to able to do. Does anyone know what kind of Electrical work goes on in the mines?

Is it mainly maintenence on heavy duty machinary, conveyor belts and motors? That sort of thing?
Or is it more common areas like temp supplies, SWA feeds, 3 phase boards for power and lighting etc...

Sorry for all the shop talk, if anyone could shed some light on the subject that would be great!

Thanks, Andrew.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician work at the mines W.A

The majority of the work does require heavy / industrial electrical. I am not a sparky, but been in the industry a long time. Be aware that without industrial experience, not only would jobs be limited, but salary would be as well
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician work at the mines W.A

Hi there,

I'm just answering for my hubby who has worked in Port Hedland, as well as Collie, Worsley, Boddington.

He says it's everything that you said, conveyors, SWA cable, motors, lighting, switchgear. Mines have a big safety culture (nobody moves, nobody gets hurt).

He added that most of the mines are looking for mine experience, but it's not a definite. HV industrial experience would be essential though. He worked in pulp mills, refineries, upgraders, throughout Alberta for 20+ years before moving to WA.

You might find some more answers on the electrical forum...oh, I see the cross-post there already.

Good luck.

Last edited by Japonica; Jun 9th 2012 at 1:46 am.