Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to Oz

Electrician wanting to move to Oz

Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

markf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician wanting to move to Oz

My husband has been an electrician for 14 yrs, He has worked on domestic, Commercial and industrial. he is fully qualified and has his inspection & Testing and has his City & Guilds. We are married with a 13 year old daughter and have been looking at moving to Oz for a long time. We are unsure where in Australia to move to, Does anyone have a good idea of what areas we can look at where his trade would be in high demand and is an affordable place to live and good to bring kids up. I have looked into doing the application myself and getting an agent, Has anyone any advice on the best way to go. I have bought many books and magazines and trawled the internet for hours but every time I consider a place to live I see another one and as I have never been there I dont know where would be best . Many thanks.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:34 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to Oz

wish i could help. we are in the same boat as you and have decided on brisbane for no particular reason. if we dont like it there we will try another place. (finances allowing)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:57 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my OH is a sparky and we are heading to Brisbaine to start with, we have used an agent for the whole process and are now just awaiting the finally big YES you can go.
It also would appear that no matter how many qualifications and other relevant certificates your OH has, he'l still have to do some more relevant training once he reaches OZ as they have different regulations, especially if he wants to be S-Employed. I can tell you its all been a mindfield but im sure it will be worth it, and there are is a lot of people on this forum that will help you along.

Hope this helps,,, Sam
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
Hi, my OH is a sparky and we are heading to Brisbaine to start with, we have used an agent for the whole process and are now just awaiting the finally big YES you can go.
It also would appear that no matter how many qualifications and other relevant certificates your OH has, he'l still have to do some more relevant training once he reaches OZ as they have different regulations, especially if he wants to be S-Employed. I can tell you its all been a mindfield but im sure it will be worth it, and there are is a lot of people on this forum that will help you along.

Hope this helps,,, Sam
Just a not to those sparkies with experience in the UK, I know sparkies from NZ who have worked in the UK and say its quite a bit different especially domestic anyway, industrial would be more close to UK I would think, but there a a lot of different regulations and I'm pretty sure the electrical system here being mainly MEN is a bit different too, also don't you guys in the UK chase the wires in the concrete walls etc?? In Aus and NZ its all timber or metal framing, which is not hard to work with at all but just a note to all the sparkies that it may take a few months to get your head round it, work as a TA for a period whist gaining a queensland license.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:22 pm
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theshinenz
Just a not to those sparkies with experience in the UK, I know sparkies from NZ who have worked in the UK and say its quite a bit different especially domestic anyway, industrial would be more close to UK I would think, but there a a lot of different regulations and I'm pretty sure the electrical system here being mainly MEN is a bit different too, also don't you guys in the UK chase the wires in the concrete walls etc?? In Aus and NZ its all timber or metal framing, which is not hard to work with at all but just a note to all the sparkies that it may take a few months to get your head round it, work as a TA for a period whist gaining a queensland license.

Thats why us British Sparks are the best in the world

Look on seek.com

Then click on the areas the area with the most jobs would be a good start.

Then check the cost of living in each area.

Me Adelaide is the one.

Also there are licencing issues Also different in each state.

For that use the search at the top put in electricians loads of help on there.

Mart
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by martin4414

Look on seek.com

Me Adelaide is the one.

Mart
Hahaha, I've worked with dozens of British sparks, most of them were pretty good actually, there were a couple though that let the side down, wingy bloody buggers, you'd think they were carrying a 10 ton weight around on their shoulders, they could make any job difficult. I work with a few pommie tradies now though in NZ and they are great to work with, good sense of humour ;-)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markf
I see another one and as I have never been there I dont know where would be best . Many thanks.
I have just came back form Oz after spending only 4 weeks there just to validate my visa. Now that im back in the U.K I cannot wait to move to Oz.

Like you, Im a spark self employed. If you can afford it go over for a few weeks to see to see what its like. I travelled to Adeliade, Brisbane and Cairns. I hired a car and travelled around different suberbs to see what the areas are like and to see the cost of house prices.

I like the Gold coast, Brisbane was nice but I don't want to live in a town. Cairns is a loverly place as well. At the moment I am in the process of getting my 2 dogs there passports so I can bring them with me. ( No i dont mean my wife.)

I have been told the quickest way for you to gain your full licence is to do a wiring corse at Tafe down Aderlade, once you pass your test you can transfer your licence to a Queensland one. Thats if you want to live in Queensland.

This is what I would be doing after crimbo when I put my house up for sale and i know the new regs should be out.

Last edited by Graff; Nov 6th 2007 at 6:20 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has been an electrician for 14 yrs, He has worked on domestic, Commercial and industrial. he is fully qualified and has his inspection & Testing and has his City & Guilds. We are married with a 13 year old daughter and have been looking at moving to Oz for a long time. We are unsure where in Australia to move to, Does anyone have a good idea of what areas we can look at where his trade would be in high demand and is an affordable place to live and good to bring kids up. I have looked into doing the application myself and getting an agent, Has anyone any advice on the best way to go. I have bought many books and magazines and trawled the internet for hours but every time I consider a place to live I see another one and as I have never been there I dont know where would be best . Many thanks.
come into the electricians bit guys
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

more info an help tha you can shake a bloody big stick at

regards steve
qld licensed electrician
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:56 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graff
I have just came back form Oz after spending only 4 weeks there just to validate my visa. .

thanks for the cold ones graff

regards steve
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steve`o

regards steve
No probs, thanks for the info you gave me and your help. When I finally arive in 2008 after my house sells are you still up for a drink? sorry I am not trying to take over this thread.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:28 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Graff
No probs, thanks for the info you gave me and your help. When I finally arive in 2008 after my house sells are you still up for a drink? sorry I am not trying to take over this thread.
definatley
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:56 pm
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o

regards steve
Howdy steve

you been busy or just avoiding me
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually decided on Australia or are you still trying to decide on your country? I see you have posted the same thing in several forums
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by theshinenz
Hi thanks for the reply, What is a TA, Is it a trade assistant?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by martin4414

Look on seek.com

Me Adelaide is the one.

Mart
Thanks, I will have a look on there, Is there any particular reason why you suggest Adelaide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.