Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrician moving to OZ

Electrician moving to OZ

Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

jestere8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician moving to OZ

Please help me, i have a City and Guilds 2365 level 2 and 3 in electrical installation, im moving to QLD brisbane, what can i do in the UK to make sure my qualifications re recognised in OZ
Old Aug 20th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician moving to OZ

Find lots of money and time to bring with you.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jestere8
Please help me, i have a City and Guilds 2365 level 2 and 3 in electrical installation, im moving to QLD brisbane, what can i do in the UK to make sure my qualifications re recognised in OZ
Whst visa are moving on?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Search the electrician threads on here. Its all there. Trades recognition needs doing prior to move. And Queensland is about the worst place to get your licence. I came through the back door getting my South Australian licence first. Heard this has been stopped now, but a colleague did it only last year I think. As said its all on here and I got help from a guy on here who lived a short distance from me. For a country you tend to think is quite laid back they are so far up themselves with licencing,safety and training you will miss old Blighty very quickly.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Skills assessments for UK sparks are conducted by Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University. If successful, they will issue you an Overseas Technical Skills Record (OTSR). The assessment requires you to do a self assessment with Tradeset, and submit this with copies of your qualifications, references, CV, etc for initial assessment. If this is successful, you then need to sit a practical assessment with theory test.

Total cost of the assessment is around $2500 and takes a few months as you need to wait on a practical date if the first part is successful.

Once you have done all that, you need to sign up for gap training, and find an employer willing to supervise you to complete the Australian experience part. With the OTSR you can get a license allowing you to work under this supervision but to get an unrestricted license, you need to complete the gap training. You probably want to allow at least a year to get the full license once you have arrived with an OTSR.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Gogs1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there I've just joined the forum as I am in the process of doing my permanent visa to Australia as an electrician with the stage I am at is the skills test down in London through future skills next Thursday and I'm looking for any helpful advice as I am quite nervous.
I have worked in heavy industrial faced paced environments all my days(only 35) so the parts of the practical to do with DOL starters and motors etc will be a piece of cake as I must've checked/stripped down/repaired etc hundreds of motors/starters/drives over the years but for the life of me I haven't done any installation work as per the first part of the practical as over the years if I have done installation work it has been predominantly SWA and SY cables, cable tray, trunking and all the assorted glanding and each time the materials have been basically laid out either by managers or planners etc so I've never had to select cabling never mind bend plastic conduit.
I phoned the down under centre at the start of my process to ask these sort of questions as over the last few years its's been mostly PLC programming and fault finding via a laptop and anything to do with installation work has been done by contractors which is happening more and more but the guy said that I should breeze it then.
It's not that I can't do it it's just that I haven't for many years.
Plus I would be looking for jobs in Australia in heavy industry and not commercial or domestic industry but it seems to get my visa I have to do it this way.
So basically if someone can reassure me about all this it'll be greatly appreciated as there is a lot riding on my shoulders mostly my wife and 3 kids yearning for the sun and not the good old scottish rain
Any info on the type of jobs out there preferably near Perth and it's surrounding areas.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gogs1980
So basically if someone can reassure me about all this it'll be greatly appreciated as there is a lot riding on my shoulders mostly my wife and 3 kids yearning for the sun and not the good old scottish rain
Any info on the type of jobs out there preferably near Perth and it's surrounding areas.
If your wife and children are yearning for the sun then you might want to consider somewhere other than Perth. It has rained and been cold for months. Today the temperature was 3° when I left home. Yes it's sunny right now, but it's bloody cold and it will be dark by the time I get home at 5:30.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If your wife and children are yearning for the sun then you might want to consider somewhere other than Perth. It has rained and been cold for months. Today the temperature was 3° when I left home. Yes it's sunny right now, but it's bloody cold and it will be dark by the time I get home at 5:30.
Brrrr Dorothy, 3 is freezing! The lowest minimum temp during the last winter here was only a couple of degrees lower than that. It was 26 here today, nearly had to break out the sun block
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:02 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Brrrr Dorothy, 3 is freezing! The lowest minimum temp during the last winter here was only a couple of degrees lower than that. It was 26 here today, nearly had to break out the sun block
My partner got all romantic a couple of months ago and bought me an electric blanket. Trust me when I say it's better than any diamonds or other useless stuff the ex bought over the years.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My partner got all romantic a couple of months ago and bought me an electric blanket. Trust me when I say it's better than any diamonds or other useless stuff the ex bought over the years.
Melbourne is the only place I have ever had an electric blanket, it cost about 20 bucks, OMG, it was pure heaven, the unit can be as low as 4C inside in winter and I couldnt live there without it.

Just wondering now with summer approaching if they make an ice blanket for summer, 44C inside top of unit is something I will never get used to .

Best $20 I have ever spent, without a doubt. Can only imagine how good the expensive ones must be, 9 settings, would you ever leave the bed
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:09 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Melbourne is the only place I have ever had an electric blanket, it cost about 20 bucks, OMG, it was pure heaven, the unit can be as low as 4C inside in winter and I couldnt live there without it.

Just wondering now with summer approaching if they make an ice blanket for summer, 44C inside top of unit is something I will never get used to .

Best $20 I have ever spent, without a doubt. Can only imagine how good the expensive ones must be, 9 settings, would you ever leave the bed
I want one of those fans like at the beer garden where there's a fine mist spray to keep you cool. But I want it over the bed.

Our electric bill for December/January was over $600 because of the air con and spa running. Spa got emptied, but the boyfriend works shifts and needs aircon on when he's trying to sleep in the day.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gogs1980
Hi there I've just joined the forum as I am in the process of doing my permanent visa to Australia as an electrician with the stage I am at is the skills test down in London through future skills next Thursday and I'm looking for any helpful advice as I am quite nervous.
I have worked in heavy industrial faced paced environments all my days(only 35) so the parts of the practical to do with DOL starters and motors etc will be a piece of cake as I must've checked/stripped down/repaired etc hundreds of motors/starters/drives over the years but for the life of me I haven't done any installation work as per the first part of the practical as over the years if I have done installation work it has been predominantly SWA and SY cables, cable tray, trunking and all the assorted glanding and each time the materials have been basically laid out either by managers or planners etc so I've never had to select cabling never mind bend plastic conduit.
I phoned the down under centre at the start of my process to ask these sort of questions as over the last few years its's been mostly PLC programming and fault finding via a laptop and anything to do with installation work has been done by contractors which is happening more and more but the guy said that I should breeze it then.
It's not that I can't do it it's just that I haven't for many years.
Plus I would be looking for jobs in Australia in heavy industry and not commercial or domestic industry but it seems to get my visa I have to do it this way.
The installation side is easy enough - that was what I worried about too as I do industrial maintenance but it was straight forward. Only bit I had an issue with was getting an offset bend flat (plastic conduit run and only about 500mm long lol). There's plenty of time for that too so try not to worry. There's more info here - Electricians - British Expats

As for jobs - not sure what the Perth market is like but be prepared to struggle to start with until you can get sorted with gap training. If you have a good background though it should hopefully work out. Advice I was given by a recruiter was to apply to companies hiring direct, as recruiters screen you out when they see you don't have a full license yet.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Suzanne87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi gogs1980
My husband is on the same as u next Thursday as we are going to Perth aswell I'v just shown him ur post and he said the practical will be a breeze but Tell him it sounds like he will breeze the practical part and to get Nikki from down under centre to send him some practice technical papers as that seems like it's more difficult than the practical. 👍🏻 hopeful this will help u
Old Aug 25th 2016, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Suzanne87 and cheers to your husband as I've been looking over my old college stuff which helps to a certain degree but I didn't know we could get practice tests from Nikki at downundercentre so I've just fired off an email to her the now so hopefully I'll get some homework for this weekend � ����
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Still not heard from Nikki so would you mind if I private messaged you to give you my email and you would be kind enough to send me a copy of those tests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.