Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrician Moving to Oz

Electrician Moving to Oz

Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

lisaroguex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician Moving to Oz

Hi my hubby is an electrician and we are thinking of moving to Oz. If we come over on a skilled independant visa does anyone know know what the process is for getting a licence and what are the jobs like over in the Perth area. Also what the rules are for licensing.

Also does anyone know what the complications of getting the sponsorships are.

Thanks
Lisa
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician Moving to Oz

Originally Posted by lisaroguex
Hi my hubby is an electrician and we are thinking of moving to Oz. If we come over on a skilled independant visa does anyone know know what the process is for getting a licence and what are the jobs like over in the Perth area. Also what the rules are for licensing.

Thanks
Lisa
If he's industrial HV he'll be laughing. Commercial and domestic, well, not the same demand I hear.

Hmm...trying to recall what hubby did two years ago. He worked "supervised" (but doing HV, he found on many occasions he was more familiar with what was required than his "supervisor" LOL) until he could take the course and sit the exam for his license (about five months after we'd arrived). I vaguely remember the course being about three weeks long and not paid by his employer, so the double hit of paying tuition and lost wages seemed steep to us at the time. Then after that he had his WA qualifications and that was it.

If you're going the skilled independent (175) route, there are of course, a bunch of hoops he'll have to jump through first...we're on the same visa and it was about a year from the time he sent off his skill assessment to when the visa was granted.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-applicant.htm

For jobs, check http://www.seek.com.au/ for an idea of wages, what's available etc.

Can't speak to sponsorship, sorry.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 5th 2011 at 4:32 am.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to BE.

Might be worthwhile checking out the Electricians Part of the forum. Lots of help and advice in there for him http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisaroguex

Thanks
Lisa
I don't know the process for electricians but I believe it does involve jumping through hoops, I see someone has referred you to the electrician's forum.

The biggest "complication" with sponsorship is that it is not very easy to find a sponsor. Once a sponsor is found it can be a fairly smooth process. Findin a sponsor can be particularly hard for tradies as many are self employed and because your OH would not be able to work before he gets the licence sorted out, it could put off any employer that would consider it.

I think the skilled migrant route that you mentioend could be the easier option.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't know the process for electricians but I believe it does involve jumping through hoops, I see someone has referred you to the electrician's forum.

The biggest "complication" with sponsorship is that it is not very easy to find a sponsor. Once a sponsor is found it can be a fairly smooth process. Findin a sponsor can be particularly hard for tradies as many are self employed and because your OH would not be able to work before he gets the licence sorted out, it could put off any employer that would consider it.

I think the skilled migrant route that you mentioend could be the easier option.
There are hoops to jump through definitely, but so long as people are aware of the process and what they have to do it's not all bad. Although South Australia is by far the easiest state to get licensed in.

Sponsorship for a sparky is pretty hard, the licence thing gets in the way. Can only work under supervision without a licence, and if they need someone it's usually a licensed someone!

Lisa, I really do suggest a very god read of the electricians forum, forewarned and all that.