Electrician licence info please

Electrician licence info please

Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:12 pm
GCH
Forum Regular

GCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician licence info please

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to get an electricians licence once i arrive in oz, i know it is different for every state but i don't know where to go or what it consists of.

Thanks

Greg
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:40 pm
Paul&Ann-Marie

Default Re: Electrician licence info please

Hi greg,

i can tell you what is required for a data comms installer
such as myself.

An ACA ( australian cabling association ) license.

This is to register you as a competent installer, it consists of 10
modules that range from health & safety, power tools, containment etc.

A couple of the modules can be applied for before you arrive in aus
due to experience etc. but the others can be obtained by sitting a 5 day
course ( cost is about $540.00 ) then a yearly charge ( forget how much
but pretty sure it's less than $50.00 per annum) for the license
renewal.

Most companies insist you have this license.

I'm sure your
license would come under the same body ( ACA ) so i would try finding
them.

I would tell you more but unfortunately all the information is on
my hard drive which is sat in a bag at the mother-in-laws ( mental note
to myself ).

I will try and get it into my nephews pc or hooked up to
the laptop and let you know more after the weekend.

Hope this helps in
some way.

Paul

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 6th 2004, 10:11 am
Just Joined

benna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electricains licence

Hello, we arrived in oz at the beginning of feb and my husband set about trying to get his licence!!! Be prepared for a long wait ..... We live in QLD and here you have to go back to trades Recagnition and apply for a certificate that shows, they put all your paperwork in front of a panel and then deciede what to class you as... electrical mechanic or electrical fitter. this took about 8 weeks, then when he had that younthen go to licensing who told him that he could work as a trades assisitant whilst he did a course.... this course was done through Qld electrical training and is a correspondence course( quicker than doing it through Taffe) and then you sit an exam at the end of it, a 3 hour theory exam and a 2 hr practical then and only then they will issue a licence, whole process took about 5 months !!!! Be prepared to earn very crappy money whilst you are doing it and not alot better money once you have your licence !!!

Dont like to sound like the voice of doom but we would have be glas to have knowb this before we arrived !!!!! Just form the pouint of view that you have enough money to cover you whilst you apply for the licence. I think that the cost of the application and the course was about $800.00

Hope that it helps, I dont know what other states do ?
Old Aug 6th 2004, 11:22 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electricains licence

Can you apply to the TRA BEFORE you leave the UK?

My reason for asking is that we are applying to them for skills assesment in hubby's current job (engineering) but by the time we are ready to go he will have finished his electrician's course.

Just wondering if this might save us some time...
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:11 pm
GCH
Forum Regular

I am applying through the TRA at the moment, how did migrate to OZ without getting the trade recognition done first ??

Can you tell me where i can find out about that correspondence coures, a website or something !!

Interesting info

Thanks

Greg
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by GCH
I am applying through the TRA at the moment, how did migrate to OZ without getting the trade recognition done first ??

Can you tell me where i can find out about that correspondence coures, a website or something !!

Interesting info

Thanks

Greg
If u were to move to Perth ,then pls if u want pm my husband as he has just got his license through today.....its not been too bad,weve been here 9 weeks,so we have been lucky...
natasha and mick
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GCH

Interesting info

Thanks

Greg
That's just to qualify you fit for the purpose of emmigrating.
Once your here you have to repeat the whole thing again before you can work in your trade. You pay the Det/Tra you pay for the course you pay for the exam and you pay for the business course you have to do before you can become a contractor.

Basicly you keep a whole load of government pen pushers in a job.
You also need to have public liability insurance and income protection insurance and renew your licence every year. And do your workplace h&s course before your allowed onto a site.
Once you've paid all that out the rest of what you earn you can maybe buy an ice cream while you lay on the beach cos you've no cash left to do anything else.

Sean

Me pissed off? Damn right I am sorry bad day
Good job the sun shines everyday
Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:40 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
That's just to qualify you fit for the purpose of emmigrating.
Once your here you have to repeat the whole thing again before you can work in your trade. You pay the Det/Tra you pay for the course you pay for the exam and you pay for the business course you have to do before you can become a contractor.

Basicly you keep a whole load of government pen pushers in a job.
You also need to have public liability insurance and income protection insurance and renew your licence every year. And do your workplace h&s course before your allowed onto a site.
Once you've paid all that out the rest of what you earn you can maybe buy an ice cream while you lay on the beach cos you've no cash left to do anything else.

Sean

Me pissed off? Damn right I am sorry bad day
Good job the sun shines everyday
Oh - sounds like a LOT of form filling, waiting around and cash spending!

Old Aug 6th 2004, 5:42 pm
GCH
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bridiej
Oh - sounds like a LOT of form filling, waiting around and cash spending!

Wow, lots more stress i see !!

I was planning on going travelling for about 3 months and then settling down and going for the licence, but that looks like a bad idea !!!

Does anyone know how I can get the ball rolling beforew I go ??

Thanks

Greg
Old Aug 6th 2004, 5:49 pm
GCH
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bonza69
If u were to move to Perth ,then pls if u want pm my husband as he has just got his license through today.....its not been too bad,weve been here 9 weeks,so we have been lucky...
natasha and mick

Natasha,

I have pm'ed you.

Greg
Old Aug 6th 2004, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

benna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electricians licence

all the TRA stuff that you do for your visa application means nothing when you get here and start applying for your licence .. when we asked them why that was they said that the TRa stuff that was done for the visa is just to satisfy immigration, they want to know that you have been doing the job and that you are skilled !!!!! Doesnt make any sense, any excuse to get more money out of you !!!!

The guy who my husband did his training wiht was called Chris Williamson and his company is called Qld Electrical training, he is kind of on a mission to help uk electricians get through the system as quickly as possible and was really helpful, you can contact him on 07 3344 1274 or [email protected]

he used to work at the licensing office in brisbane so knows his way around the system !!!! You also have to do a CPR course at the St johns ambulance.

hope that helps !!!!