Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrician help would be appreciated

Electrician help would be appreciated

Old May 1st 2013, 4:01 am
Just Joined

sheffieldbradley is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Electrician help would be appreciated

Hello, I am looking to move to australia to hopefully get an electrician apprenticeship. It's something i would like to do and with things in the UK showing no signs of allowing me to do anything i have got my citizenship(through parents) for australia and have started trying to plan this.I am 21 and going by myself so i want to make sure i have got everything planned before i jump on a plane. I have done some research and know i will need a new h+s card, but other than that i know little, so i am hoping for a bit of advise from people. Suppose my first question is would it be realistic for me to be able to find an apprenticeship in a short space of time? or would i probably have to find another job whilst applying? Is there any locations particularly better than others for this kind of work? Any tips on how i could get started in this field easier? help would be much apprectiated any answers,help or advise would be great.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician help would be appreciated

Originally Posted by sheffieldbradley
Hello, I am looking to move to australia to hopefully get an electrician apprenticeship. It's something i would like to do and with things in the UK showing no signs of allowing me to do anything i have got my citizenship(through parents) for australia and have started trying to plan this.I am 21 and going by myself so i want to make sure i have got everything planned before i jump on a plane. I have done some research and know i will need a new h+s card, but other than that i know little, so i am hoping for a bit of advise from people. Suppose my first question is would it be realistic for me to be able to find an apprenticeship in a short space of time? or would i probably have to find another job whilst applying? Is there any locations particularly better than others for this kind of work? Any tips on how i could get started in this field easier? help would be much apprectiated any answers,help or advise would be great.

My son 19 is a electrical apprentice.

Some kids do the pre-vocational course at TAFE first to help increase their chances of getting a job.

To be quite honest my son got one because we employ the electrician who took him on, and he was doing work experience on site as finding one is quite competitive.

Tafe QLD have just raised the passmark to 70% and you have to pass all units before moving on, a LOT of study even though you only do the college part in blocks of 4/6 weeks.

Some of the big companies ( energex/mining) have apprentice intakes once a year, it is hugely competive and they get thousands and thousands of applicants.

I would be prepared to do some other job while trying to pick up an apprenticeship as it may take a while.

Good luck with it, its a good trade if you can get in.