Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Trading Licence

Electrical Trading Licence

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Trading Licence

I am an electrician hoping to move to Perth later this year and have read a few posts saying that it has taken 3 to 4 months to obtain and electrical licence.

My question is can I apply to do the exam and time it right so I do it pretty much as soon as I get there, or do you have to be living in Oz before hand. I was trying to save time so I am not out of work for too long.

Thanks Russell
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Electrical Trading Licence

Originally posted by russell deane
I am an electrician hoping to move to Perth later this year and have read a few posts saying that it has taken 3 to 4 months to obtain and electrical licence.

My question is can I apply to do the exam and time it right so I do it pretty much as soon as I get there, or do you have to be living in Oz before hand. I was trying to save time so I am not out of work for too long.

Thanks Russell
Hi there Russell,
my husband is an electricain and we go to perth in june,as far as we know its not the exam u wait for ,just the licencse after.How ever you can prepare for this before hand by getting the wire regulations book for w/a.my hubby has this (he ordered it online)and this way when we get there he will be ready to go straight in for the exam,the whole process is sopposed to take 6 weeks!!!!The book costs about 54 quid,however if your not planning on going till later in the year we will send u ours once hes sat the exam,just let us know!!!!!!!Also as long as you have your tra you can sit the exam without your visa you just cant work till u get your visa !!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.

Let me know how you get on with the exam.

Russell & Sarah
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:03 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Is,nt there a rule where you can work for the time while your waiting for the exam?
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:19 pm
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bonza69
Hi there Russell,
my husband is an electricain and we go to perth in june,as far as we know its not the exam u wait for ,just the licencse after.How ever you can prepare for this before hand by getting the wire regulations book for w/a.my hubby has this (he ordered it online)and this way when we get there he will be ready to go straight in for the exam,the whole process is sopposed to take 6 weeks!!!!The book costs about 54 quid,however if your not planning on going till later in the year we will send u ours once hes sat the exam,just let us know!!!!!!!Also as long as you have your tra you can sit the exam without your visa you just cant work till u get your visa !!

Where did he order it from, as my hubby is an electrician too, but we are heading for Adelaide. So he would like regs for SA.

Theresa
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by kittenlips
Where did he order it from, as my hubby is an electrician too, but we are heading for Adelaide. So he would like regs for SA.

Theresa
Hes at work at mo and he has book wi im,however i will email the adress this eveing,i do know he went on a search engine and just put in au wiring regulations/standards .As far as i know each terrotory (ie perth /adelaide do differ I THINK)Hope this helps and if u do need the adress just let me know.the book took 2 days to arrive.and its bloody exspensive and its so small
tasha
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.

Let me know how you get on with the exam.

Russell & Sarah
Will do russell,
we saw it on tv a while ago,ill get mick to email you with all the info and what they ask!!!!!(it will be mid June)
tasha
(ps when you heading out ,and have you decied where you going.)
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully heading out to Perth later this year.

Having some problems with ex partners but will get over that.

If you could e-mail me the address for the books would be great thank you.

Take care Russell
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully heading out to Perth later this year.

Having some problems with ex partners but will get over that.

If you could e-mail me the address for the books would be great thank you.

Take care Russell
Cant find the email adress but i do have telephone number on invoice.(02)820660000.The book costs $74.00 and the gits charged us $35.00 courier.The company is called SAI GLOBAL,i soppose if you go on a search engine it may come up,also if you look at a thread that was posted on the 6th jan electricians or go to the bottom where it says search type in electricaians there is alot of useful info that people have put !Good luck and let us know when ure going!Have u lodged ure visa yet?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:59 am
G&J
Forum Regular

G&J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Licence

Hi Russel,
Got to Perth last saturday, out here to start our visa, have a 3 week holiday & look at the work front (I,m a Tiffy @ Bacton gas plant Norfolk) Hope to speak to as many local companys as possible, will give you some feedback. Hey & what a fantastic place this is, you,ll love it!!!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=172161

this is usefull information

ive been here since 3rd nov and have my practical exam on the 8th march

has any one else done the long electrical practical exam in perth and can give us all some info on what is in it or the theroy exam ????

ive been waiting so long just hope i pass there is loads of work for sparkies at the moment and doing a casual crap job is doing my head in
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:24 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default electricians

my chap wa over in ozzy last october and managed to order a book from a book shop in sydney which was later sent over to us they had it at a special price of £15.00 it would be benifical to look on the web as £54.00 is very expensive and then courier on top..........................we are off to brisbane...
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: electricians

Originally posted by leannefr
my chap wa over in ozzy last october and managed to order a book from a book shop in sydney which was later sent over to us they had it at a special price of £15.00 it would be benifical to look on the web as £54.00 is very expensive and then courier on top..........................we are off to brisbane...
We did look on the web,and we could not find it no cheaper,maybe there different books?????Are,s is for W/A only!
The book worked out at about £40 quid ,yes a little exspensive but if it does the job then it will of been worth every penny, i soppose it depens were u shop,and if your lucky enough to get to au to get the book!

Last edited by bonza69; Feb 5th 2004 at 6:52 pm.