Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical trade assessment

Electrical trade assessment

Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Welshsparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical trade assessment

Hey guys well I wanted to pass on this info about getting your trade recognised. After hearing terrible things about vetasses my hr manager managed to find another recognised body called future skills. I am booked in for my assessment on the 31st and bricking it about the technical interview as not only is it off the cuff questions but also video taped to be assessed later on......brilliant!!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical trade assessment

Hi Welsh sparky, my husband is also spark and from Wales lol i thought you had to go through TRA? That's what we seen on skilllist.
We are going to start the process soon once we have figured out where to start lol
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Welshsparky is an unknown quantity at this point

I got sponsored on a 457 and when putting my application for the visa it asked if I had a tra number and I clicked no but it was still processed. It's a huge ordeal getting ur the electrical trade recognised but worth it in the end for the money you will end up earning. They all go thought to the tra in the end but the assessing bodies send it to them so vetasses or in my case future skills. My exam date has been put back a month due to the floods and storms in Brisbane
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Welshsparky
Hey guys well I wanted to pass on this info about getting your trade recognised. After hearing terrible things about vetasses my hr manager managed to find another recognised body called future skills. I am booked in for my assessment on the 31st and bricking it about the technical interview as not only is it off the cuff questions but also video taped to be assessed later on......brilliant!!
Is this just for visa purposes or can you use it to apply for your licence to the licencing board in Queensland?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

So is that who we would go through over here, before we put in an EOI for subclass 190. Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
So is that who we would go through over here, before we put in an EOI for subclass 190. Thanks
Hi GunnersCandy,

Have you found the Electricians forum yet? Not sure if I've seen youu there. Lots of useful info here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Anyway, for skilled migration on 190 you will need skills assessment through TRA, but it will be Vetassess who do it in the UK as the RTO.

Have a look here http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_..._australia.cfm

and check that you have everything you need to make an application. In the electrciains forum, you should find all the information needed about what the assessment will involve, but I don't know how many dates will be available. Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

Yes I have been on that site and to be honest it blew my head with the whole Vestasse v ARTC debate that was going on to get Electrical Licence in Perth.

From what I could make out it appears that VESTASSE have to be used for your visa but then if you get to Perth then go down the ARTC route?!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Yes I have been on that site and to be honest it blew my head with the whole Vestasse v ARTC debate that was going on to get Electrical Licence in Perth.

From what I could make out it appears that VESTASSE have to be used for your visa but then if you get to Perth then go down the ARTC route?!
With Vetassess you can get a restricted license which means that you have to work under supervision and carry out gap training which means reduced wages for upto 12 months if you can find someone to hire you. With an ARTC you can get an unresticted license - an A license - and work unsupervised which makes you a better applicant for employers. But you cannot apply for an ARTC until you are in Australia, and it takes 2-3 months during which you wouldn't be able to work as a spark
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

That would be ok for us as my sister has kindly offered to put us up for a few months as she lives on her own and has a 4 bed house. Plus with the equity we have from the sale of our house over here we would be ok for him not to work for a few months if it's better in the long run.

Thanks for your advice much appreciated
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:30 am

That would be ok for us as my sister has kindly offered to put us up for a few months as she lives on her own and has a 4 bed house. Plus with the equity we have from the sale of our house over here we would be ok for him not to work for a few months if it's better in the long run.

Thanks for your advice much appreciated
You will still need to do Vetassess for the visa though, even if you then choose to reapply for ARTC when you get there. Sorry not sure if I made that clear
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Yes understand, will worry about that bridge if/when we get to it lol
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

People that are already in Perth are saying that it;s hard because the Vestassess route they are saying that no one will take them on because they have to be supervised, so they are finding it impossible to get 12 months experience.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:57 am

People that are already in Perth are saying that it;s hard because the Vestassess route they are saying that no one will take them on because they have to be supervised, so they are finding it impossible to get 12 months experience.
I understand that but there is no alternative as the Vetassess assessment is a must for the visa application. Once you have your skills assessment, and have the visa, you can reapply for ARTC in Australia. I have heard that if you mention you already have Vetassess they wont grant ARTC but I'm not certain, so you might need to check that further. But first worry about getting the visa
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes exactly old.sparkles

Why have you gone through future skills and not vestasses? Was that in uk or when you got to OZ Welsh Sparky?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:38 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

that's partially because the employers aren't aware or can`t be bothered to find out what
"working under supervision" entails

i had a similar issue when i first arrived so i took along a section of the electricity at work act which stated that people under training should be supervised according to their ability

ie

(3) The level of supervision required under subsection (2) must be
appropriate, having regard to –
(a) the type of electrical work performed; and
(b) the adequacy of the training person’s training; and
(c) the competency of the training person.

(4) In this section –
“training person” means a person who is undertaking, but has not
finished –
(a) an apprenticeship under the Training and Employment Act
2000, in a calling that requires the person to perform electrical
work; or
(b) a training program approved by the chief executive that
requires the person to perform electrical work.

Supervision means the overseeing of workers, including trainees and
apprentices, to ensure risks to people and property are eliminated or at
least minimised. While a supervisor may perform audits, auditing should
not be seen as interchangeable with supervision.
Supervision of electrical work includes:
✱ Health and safety matters;
✱ Statutory compliance e.g. what work an apprentice or restricted
electrical worker is permitted to perform;
✱ Technical aspects e.g. compliance with AS/NZS 3000; and
✱ Implementation of a safe system of work.
✱ Generally, the two distinct styles of supervision are described as:
✱ Direct supervision means supervision occurs at all times on a direct
and constant basis; and
✱ General supervision means supervision where the worker does not
require the constant attendance of the supervisor.

i explained this to a prospective employer ( who then phoned the electrical safety office to check it out ) the end result was that they took me on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.