Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electrical stuff

electrical stuff

Old May 19th 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

janweb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical stuff

Are you able to take any electrical items at all or is every thing incompatible?

Jan
Old May 19th 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Yes you can,

depending on your type of tv that will not be unless it states in the set up manual.

DVD player needs to be multi region
Old May 19th 2003, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electrical stuff

Originally posted by janweb
Are you able to take any electrical items at all or is every thing incompatible?

Jan
Hi Jan

In a nutshell, most household goods are compatible, but TV's and non multi play videos are not worth bringing, [check out previous posts on this subject to find out why!]

Its not advisable to bring Fridges/freezers, as they are affected by the transporting and need a long time for the gases to settle, [again, explained in techie detail on past posts!] but washing machines, and microwaves and all small electrical goods are fine, its just a pain changing over all the plugs!!

I think ive seen a post saying there are probs with certain power tools if you in the building industry and want to bring out professional tools.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Old May 19th 2003, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janweb

Jan
Yes, you can bring most of your electical stuff. Sorry to contradict you Poggle, but we brought our freezer and fridge and they work perfectly despite the 3 month shipping. Only expensive tv's will work although any tv would work if you connect it to an ozzie VCR.

Computers etc are also fine.
Old May 19th 2003, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben_38
Yes, you can bring most of your electical stuff. Sorry to contradict you Poggle, but we brought our freezer and fridge and they work perfectly despite the 3 month shipping. Only expensive tv's will work although any tv would work if you connect it to an ozzie VCR.

Computers etc are also fine.

Hi Ben!

Glad your fridge and freezer were ok! wishes id brought mine now! we were told not to bring them by a 'so called expert' something about the gases going up into the pipes at the back and needing a long time to settle??? and read something similar here on a past post! Anyway, they are Quite cheap here so it wasnt a problem!

Cheers!
Old May 19th 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally posted by poggle
Hi Ben!

Glad your fridge and freezer were ok! wishes id brought mine now! we were told not to bring them by a 'so called expert' something about the gases going up into the pipes at the back and needing a long time to settle??? and read something similar here on a past post! Anyway, they are Quite cheap here so it wasnt a problem!

Cheers!

it's not the gasses but the oil in the compressor..however as regards 'shipping' how do they think they got to the shop in the first place??

I must admit I've only ever seen one new fridge which oil logged due to it being placed on the 'wrong' side.. we just layed it back down left it 10 mins and stood it up and started it...no problem

just leave it in place for around 24 yrs then switch it on..chances are it will be okay...but do get a thermometer to ensure correct temperature!!! -I like to see my fridge around 1-2 degs c

cheers

richard
Old May 19th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

In a nutshell, most household goods are compatible, but TV's and non multi play videos are not worth bringing, [check out previous posts on this subject to find out why!]
Info on TVs can be found at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php. (Thats television not the other type of TVs)
Old May 19th 2003, 4:14 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by r.bartlett
just leave it in place for around 24 yrs then switch it on..chances are it will be okay...but do get a thermometer to ensure correct temperature!!! -I like to see my fridge around 1-2 degs c
Sorry, I'd never normally point out a typo (people who live in glass houses etc...) But I've got to thank you for that one - I'm still chuckling.

Perry
Old May 19th 2003, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

So, can you take UK electrical items and then change the plugs without too much hassle, even though you have to change them to two-point? Or are they three-point anyway? Oh, I don't know what I'm going on about. Sorry!
Old May 19th 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

opppss!!!

sorry did i say yrs..!!

shurely shome mishtake

cheers

richard
Old May 19th 2003, 11:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gavin B
So, can you take UK electrical items and then change the plugs without too much hassle, even though you have to change them to two-point? Or are they three-point anyway? Oh, I don't know what I'm going on about. Sorry!

Very easy to change over. They are three pin plugs too but look quite different and don't have a fuse. The best tip is to buy a few multi point socket things in the UK and bring those with you. On arrival just change the plug on the multi socket and you can then plug say four UK plugs in. i would advise this anyway for computer stuff to ensure that you have fused plugs.
Old May 20th 2003, 12:03 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Very easy to change over. They are three pin plugs too but look quite different and don't have a fuse. The best tip is to buy a few multi point socket things in the UK and bring those with you. On arrival just change the plug on the multi socket and you can then plug say four UK plugs in. i would advise this anyway for computer stuff to ensure that you have fused plugs.
This is one of the best tips - not only for computers but all the HI FI stuff, we bought over five or six gangs and then I bought more when I was back on a trip. It also works out very well when you are renting and cannot sort out plugs and wires properly to start.

I hope there are electricians out there who will inform me better but I was very unhappy at first with no fuses in the plugs.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2003, 12:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra

I hope there are electricians out there who will inform me better but I was very unhappy at first with no fuses in the plugs.

Cheers

So were we when there were some power surges/outages which blew the computer. Fortunately got repaired and did not lose 5 years of photos and other stuff. Wish we'd stuck with UK plugs!
Old May 20th 2003, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Sandra
This is one of the best tips - not only for computers but all the HI FI stuff, we bought over five or six gangs and then I bought more when I was back on a trip. It also works out very well when you are renting and cannot sort out plugs and wires properly to start.

Cheers
All new houses out here for the last 10 years have to be built with a RCD in the main fuse box, and all the fuses are the pop out type, rather than the rewireable fuse type.

I suppose this should eliminate the need for fuses in the plug, as the theory is they trip faster than a fuse can blow.

They are talking about bringing in a law, such that you cannot sell a house that dosn't have a RCD device. A boon to electricians, but not so good for owners of old houses.

BUT I prefer the belt and braces method of fuses in the plugs.

I also belive it's against the law to change plugs unless you are a registered electrician (ignorance is bliss sometimes).