Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical question

Electrical question

Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical question

Just wandering, is it worth bringing a UK extension cable (3,4 or 5 plug)
over to Aus.
Will they work with an Aussie adaptor and more importantly, would it be safe?

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical question

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Just wandering, is it worth bringing a UK extension cable (3,4 or 5 plug)
over to Aus.
Will they work with an Aussie adaptor and more importantly, would it be safe?

Cheers

Steve
Bring them over, as many as you've got. Change the UK plug for the oz equivalent when you get here. Saves having to change all your plugs at once. Particularly useful for computer speakers and the like, those with transformer type plugs.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

Hi mate
yeah bring them we brought loads with us and fitted an oz plug to them it means you dont have to swap all the plugs at once...
where in the toon you from and where u heading..

chris
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

we alson brought loads save you the hassle of changing the plugs straight away, been here 9 months now and still havnt changed them all yet!!! and hubbie is a spark!!!

sam
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my office equipment is running off one as they are all great big adaptors!!!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that guys , wasn't sure of the safety aspect, but we'll
make sure we stuff our cases/crates with as many as possible now

Steve
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris34uk
Hi mate
yeah bring them we brought loads with us and fitted an oz plug to them it means you dont have to swap all the plugs at once...
where in the toon you from and where u heading..

chris
Hello Chris

I'm originally from Blakelaw/Kenton, but we've been living in Stakeford (near Bedlington) for years.
Will be arriving in Pearsall mid August, might eventually look at Joondalup or
over to where you are, funds permitting.
Steve
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

yeah,if yr originally from blakelaw...u will fit in perfectly in little britain..i mean Joondalup!!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

sent you a pm steve
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noggin
yeah,if yr originally from blakelaw...u will fit in perfectly in little britain..i mean Joondalup!!
Well, I was just a bairn and it was the posh part
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Right, I've just bought a load of aussie plugs from Bunnings and they don't
have anywhere to put a fuse into them

Can I just chop the moulded plug from my UK tv, laptop etc etc and
replace them with an aussie plug???

Why don't they have fuses in them??

Please forgive my ignorance, stupid geordie seeking more guidance
Old Dec 26th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Right, I've just bought a load of aussie plugs from Bunnings and they don't
have anywhere to put a fuse into them

Can I just chop the moulded plug from my UK tv, laptop etc etc and
replace them with an aussie plug???

Why don't they have fuses in them??

Please forgive my ignorance, stupid geordie seeking more guidance
Australia doesn't have plug fuses like the uk does, they rely on the RCD at the distribution board, you will also notice that there are power points in the bathroom, yes just cut all your plugs off and put the aussie ones on, if you have two wires you can use a two pin plug if there are 3 wires use a 3 pin plug
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Australia doesn't have plug fuses like the uk does, they rely on the RCD at the distribution board, you will also notice that there are power points in the bathroom, yes just cut all your plugs off and put the aussie ones on, if you have two wires you can use a two pin plug if there are 3 wires use a 3 pin plug
cheers bud
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Steve

Not sure about the legal aspect of fitting your own plugs over here (you know "have to be a time served sparkie to turn the thermostat down etc). But I don't think the UK plugs would be legal here in case of inurance claims etc.

I've got no RCD's in my fuse box and the wireing here is SHOCKING

I'd feel much safer with a fuse near the appliance I'm using.

Keel
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

ah bring loads over... i have about 6 and dont have enough - slowly changing all the plugs myself and what a pain it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.