Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If the storm is near I unplug the system. If I go on holiday I unplug the system. I am thinking of getting a UPS (a battery bewteen the mains and the PC check out www.apcc.com). Last year when it hit 45 in the West and 40 in Bondi Sydney power went crazy with brown outs. A brown out is when the grid is overloaded due to all the air conditioners.

The PC restarted on me 10 times in an hour.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:09 pm

Level of Surge Protection
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:16 pm
ABCDiamond

For a picture of an Australian plug see this link:

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/powerplug.htm

I learnt something new aswell
The Australian 3-flat-pin plug configuration is similar to mains plugs used in mainland China
Some products have a plug with only two pins, they leave out the centre earth pin.

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
Level of Surge Protection
Good posts Bondi ... they've brought back hazy memories of stuff I should have known.

While you're looking for an UPS by the way, check if it's an online or offline UPS. They'll behave differently for different situations.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Bondipom

Which UPS are you looking at, i am getting interested in these myself.
I think i've been lucky so far, ony had one power outage that cut off my system in 12 months, in QLD. I was told QLD is much worse for power than NSW.

thanks

Originally posted by bondipom
If the storm is near I unplug the system. If I go on holiday I unplug the system. I am thinking of getting a UPS (a battery bewteen the mains and the PC check out www.apcc.com). Last year when it hit 45 in the West and 40 in Bondi Sydney power went crazy with brown outs. A brown out is when the grid is overloaded due to all the air conditioners.

The PC restarted on me 10 times in an hour.

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:37 pm

Originally posted by CHnJ
Good posts Bondi ... they've brought back hazy memories of stuff I should have known.

While you're looking for an UPS by the way, check if it's an online or offline UPS. They'll behave differently for different situations.
Are you on about smart or dumb UPS or something else?

For the others a smart UPS talks to the PC, can be talked to from the PC to get diagnostics such as battery status and a smart UPS shuts down in power loss. A PC attached to a dumb UPS will recognise a power loss and do a controlled shutdown but the UPS does not shut down. This means in a prolonged blackout the UPS also runs out of power because it usually is powering a monitor.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I'm thinking more of your problems with brown-outs rather than simple power cuts. I (dimly) recall someone got the wrong type about 10 years ago and it badly affected a client. I don't remember the details as it wasn't my department, but http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/I...ArticleID=5780 gives the low-down.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful using a travel adaptor - they should only be used with items that don't require an earth.

If you are going to be using the item a lot change the plug - they only cost $3-$4 each.

Another option is to change the uk plug on an extension lead for an aussie one, a good solution for tv's video stereo components etc.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

On the plugs issue,you are making the biggest move you are likely to make,with finance,property,family etc to worry about,do yourselves a favour and just change the plugs when you get here.In the grand scheme of things it matters not.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jockney
On the plugs issue,you are making the biggest move you are likely to make,with finance,property,family etc to worry about,do yourselves a favour and just change the plugs when you get here.In the grand scheme of things it matters not.

Have you ever counted how many plugs you have?
Have you any idea how finickey an Aussie plug is!??
I don't want to spend a full day gouging lumps out of my hand with a screwdriver instead of going to the beach with my missus and boy! Trying to get a medicare card is small in comparison!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I need to remember to add smileys!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 1:59 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

I need to remember to add smileys!
Old Dec 8th 2003, 2:00 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Have you ever counted how many plugs you have?
Have you any idea how finickey an Aussie plug is!??
I don't want to spend a full day gouging lumps out of my hand with a screwdriver instead of going to the beach with my missus and boy! Trying to get a medicare card is small in comparison!

...and not to mention all those chargers and transformers that you can't change the plug on...