Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Jul 20th 2002, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

a1macc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Question

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an extension socket in this country which has UK sockets on one end and an Australian plug on the other?

I realise this is probably something I could make myself when I get there but am not confident with electrics and wanted to sort it all before I go.

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2002, 12:38 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical Question

you could buy an Ozzie travel adaptor & plug in your British multi point lead.But hey DON'T OVERLOAD IT!
Old Jul 20th 2002, 11:20 pm
Ian Guy

Buy an Ozzie plug and but it on your 4 way adapters. They are NOT fused, and their
cables are only rated to 10 amps, so don't put too much load on it, or else you'll
fuse it at the box. BTW, they are a pig to wire compared to UK plugs! And make sure
you take tons of adaptors.

Ian (sitting at a PC running off said setup!)

"baldbutts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > you could buy an Ozzie travel adaptor & plug in your British multi point lead.But
    > hey DON'T OVERLOAD IT!
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 21st 2002, 12:20 am
Graham Wood

Glad some one else finds the covers a pig to get on the plugs. Though it was just me.
There must be a technique to it, but so far i have not found it...

Ian Guy wrote:

> Buy an Ozzie plug and but it on your 4 way adapters. They are NOT fused, and their
    > cables are only rated to 10 amps, so don't put too much load on it, or else you'll
    > fuse it at the box. BTW, they are a pig to wire compared to UK plugs! And make sure
    > you take tons of adaptors.
    >
    > Ian (sitting at a PC running off said setup!)
    >
    > "baldbutts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > you could buy an Ozzie travel adaptor & plug in your British multi point lead.But
    > > hey DON'T OVERLOAD IT!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --

Old Jul 21st 2002, 9:20 am
lee

What does an Australian plug look like? If I wanted to buy one what would I be
looking for? Here in South Africa we use a thing similar to the UK plug without a
fuse 15A but the pins are round. We also use adapters with two pin 5 A (round
connections) for imported stuff. I think yours are rectangular are they not, fused at
13A, actually safer and they get less hot than our round things rated at 15A

"a1macc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an extension socket in this country which
    > has UK sockets on one end and an Australian plug on the other?
    >
    > I realise this is probably something I could make myself when I get there but am
    > not confident with electrics and wanted to sort it all before I go.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link:
http://www.teleadaptusa.com/nme/powerplugs.htm

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Old Dec 7th 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Guy
Buy an Ozzie plug and but it on your 4 way adapters. They are NOT fused, and their
cables are only rated to 10 amps, so don't put too much load on it, or else ...<snip>

So they are 230/240 V then?

:lecture: If you don't have a plug, DON'T use matchsticks to hold the bare ends of the wires into the socket -- an old trick (but a flamable one, I man MATCHES(:scared, not approved by the Institute of Electrical Engineers).

So they are 230/240 V then? but only 10A?
Old Dec 7th 2003, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And a little hint given to me by someone on the forum - if you are using UK plugs, running through an adaptor into an Aussie plug - you cannot buy fuses for UK plugs in Australia!
So stock up and bring some with you! Breaks in the power supply and power surges are far more common here, so fuses could blow. I now have a friend sending me a pile of fuses from the UK, just in case!!!
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
And a little hint given to me by someone on the forum - if you are using UK plugs, running through an adaptor into an Aussie plug - you cannot buy fuses for UK plugs in Australia!
So stock up and bring some with you! Breaks in the power supply and power surges are far more common here, so fuses could blow. I now have a friend sending me a pile of fuses from the UK, just in case!!!
Ooh! Good idea!

Now does anyone know of any specific UK appliances that are designed to draw between 10A and 13A and would run for more than a few minutes at a time?

I'm immediately thinking of things with powerful heaters in them like paint stripper guns.

The link from Alan Collett's site is dead I'm afraid.

Last edited by CHnJ; Dec 7th 2003 at 9:06 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Caroline G
Originally posted by Ian Guy
cables are only rated to 10 amps, so don't put too much load on it, or else ...<snip>

So they are 230/240 V then?

:lecture: If you don't have a plug, DON'T use matchsticks to hold the bare ends of the wires into the socket -- an old trick (but a flamable one, I man MATCHES(:scared, not approved by the Institute of Electrical Engineers).

So they are 230/240 V then? but only 10A?
Yeah ... 240V, 50Hz which means all your stuff will work, but the house wiring at the plug is only able to handle a maximum current of 10A without heating up. Presumably your fuse box / consumer unit should protect you from this.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:07 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by CHnJ
The link from Alan Collett's site is dead I'm afraid.
it worked for me.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything slightly sensitive should be surge proected otherwise one of the numerous electrical storms could zap your PC, TV, video etc etc.

Even in the UK it is a good idea. A house down the road from where I was living in Surrey was hit. Casualties included the VCR and the telephone. The house that was hit lost the roof and the top floor was gutted by fire.

For the PC there are surge boards with a telephone socket to protect the modem.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by scutterUK
it worked for me.

Odd. I get Error!
That page does not exist.
Please click here to return to the TeleAdapt website,
or here to go directly to the TeleAdapt web site map.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Anything slightly sensitive should be surge proected otherwise one of the numerous electrical storms could zap your PC, TV, video etc etc.

Even in the UK it is a good idea. A house down the road from where I was living in Surrey was hit. Casualties included the VCR and the telephone. The house that was hit lost the roof and the top floor was gutted by fire.

For the PC there are surge boards with a telephone socket to protect the modem.
I've heard that there are various levels of protection with surge/spike protectors .... apparently you can go to your local electrical store and buy a protective trailing board but still get zorched (I like that word : ) by a nearby lightning strike or electrical fault. Any thoughts on what is appropriate for your average urban dwelling?
Old Dec 7th 2003, 9:30 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya bondipom,

for all those people in the Uk, Argos do a range of surge protectors witha & without Phone connections. One even has satalite surge protection.

I'm off there tomorrow to get a couple of the cheep ones for the PC & TV/VCR

Bye
Markeh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.