Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical license

Electrical license

Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

darren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant future
Default Electrical license

Hi all

I am new on here but wanted advice. We have just been granted our visa's skilled 136 after a year so that was a nice xmas present and we are looking at coming out at the end of Jan as all things here are tied up now and we are ready to move. The thing is that all jobs that I apply for tell me I need a Queensland electrical license and for this will have to be skills assessed by the TRA but this was already done during my visa application so how does one go about getting this license so that i can work? I have been working for National Grid for 16 years as an electrical/mechanical fitter so this Is all I know, also is it essential to have a job before i come out as that is a worry at the mo.
Just really need advice to set my mind at ease as coming out having never been there b4 with wife and 2 young sons and going to Brisbane, looking at Helensvale or Robina so need to know about rented houses whilst looking to buy. Do they do a short term rent system?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Darren
Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jox_co is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Electrical license

Originally Posted by darren k View Post
Hi all

I am new on here but wanted advice. We have just been granted our visa's skilled 136 after a year so that was a nice xmas present and we are looking at coming out at the end of Jan as all things here are tied up now and we are ready to move. The thing is that all jobs that I apply for tell me I need a Queensland electrical license and for this will have to be skills assessed by the TRA but this was already done during my visa application so how does one go about getting this license so that i can work? I have been working for National Grid for 16 years as an electrical/mechanical fitter so this Is all I know, also is it essential to have a job before i come out as that is a worry at the mo.
Just really need advice to set my mind at ease as coming out having never been there b4 with wife and 2 young sons and going to Brisbane, looking at Helensvale or Robina so need to know about rented houses whilst looking to buy. Do they do a short term rent system?
Darren
Hi there,

My hubby also needs license being an electrician. Need to go through ARTC for trade certificate first, then you can apply for license. Check out online for ARTC, application can be downloaded, same details needed as for TRA at beginning of visa process (it costs too!) so need certified copies of certificates etc again.

Hope that helps

Jayne
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Electrical license

Hi all

Darren
Hi Darren,

This is a link to a thread I started asking the same question as you..........There is some good info and links

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489073
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:30 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Darren
go into the electrical forum.all will be answered there. it will be very unlikely that you will be able to get a job before you come here although not impossible.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:35 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Darren
Be prepared to start at the bottom and do TAFE courses as part of the licensing procedure.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandgill View Post
Hi Darren,

This is a link to a thread I started asking the same question as you..........There is some good info and links

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489073
i see i`m been quoted

doe this make me famous or infamous i carn`t decide

welcome to british expats guys the link posted will point you in the right direction if you need any more info just ask
we dont bite ( well bix might but we dont )

best regards for the holiday season

steve

Last edited by steve`o; Dec 24th 2007 at 9:41 pm. Reason: bloody spellin again
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

darren k;

when you get here you can do a 5 day course as a linesman then you get the full license how ever its not cheap also the course may have to be booked well in advance, you wont be able to just migrate to australia and expect to carry on from where you left of in the UK that wont happen, all the best mate
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

darren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant futuredarren k has a brilliant future

Thanks to all replies and a happy new year to you all, We have now booked our flights for the 27th Jan staying in Kuala Lumpa for 2 nights then landing in Brisbane on the 31st I understand that I need to apply for a electrical license but still need to have some income coming in so that we dont eat into our savings too much. How easy is it to find work out there whilst my application for the license goes on so it allows me to get a job that I am skilled for and how long does it take to get this license.

Darren
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

darren, there shall be plenty of work towards the end of january, however what type of work is another matter you may end up not doing electrical work for a few months while waiting to book into Tafe (Tech) to do the A class course to bring you up to Australian standards, then after that you shall have to sit the A class exams. there are company's that will take you on as a Restricted spark.

But the pay is much reduced & your NOT allowed to make any electrical connections at all without being supervised its as simple as that.
regards
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:24 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all replies and a happy new year to you all, We have now booked our flights for the 27th Jan staying in Kuala Lumpa for 2 nights then landing in Brisbane on the 31st I understand that I need to apply for a electrical license but still need to have some income coming in so that we dont eat into our savings too much. How easy is it to find work out there whilst my application for the license goes on so it allows me to get a job that I am skilled for and how long does it take to get this license.

Darren
have you got your artc from the tra ???

also as your qld bound have a read here mate
http://www.qet.edu.au/
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for answering my questions again chaps and as far as work goes i will do anything at first before getting back into the fitting side as i am from the substation background doing repairs/maintenance and faults on all equip up to 400kv and not domestic wiring/electrical work so what type of license do i need as i have been on that link Steve o and there are loads.......help!!!!!!!!! getting really nervous now about licenses and tests and exams ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i am losing the plot, not as easy as i thought or was it not being told this info from the emigration agent

Darren