Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical licence - story so far.

Electrical licence - story so far.

Old Aug 27th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Electrical licence - story so far.

Just thought this may be of interest to Electricians coming to Australia soon.
I've been here (Queensland) since mid April and am in the process of getting my electrical licence.
Soon after arriving here I started applying for work and had a couple of interviews with different firms. Both stated that they would require me to have both an Electrical Fitters licence and an Electrical Mechanics licence before they could employ me fully as an Electrician. TRA classified me as an Electrician Special Class (which is basically an industrial electrician) for the purpose of migration. ie to get my visa. When I arrived in Australia I had to go in person to the TRA office in Brisbane to show my apprenticeship papers which I did within about 3 weeks of arriving here. I should have tried to get there earlier but it didn't seem the main priority at the time. About two weeks later they sent me an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate classifying me as an Electrical Fitter. Somehow I think Electrician Special Class isn't actually a trade! Then I printed off the licence application filled it in and ticked the two boxes indicating that I was applying for both an Electrical Fitter licence and an Electrical Mechanics licence. About 2 or 3 weeks later I was sent a training permit allowing me to work as an Electrical Fitter only if I am supervised by a licenced electrical worker. I wrote and told them that they had made a mistake and that I was also applying for an Electrical Mechanics licence a couple of days later someone from the licencing authority phoned me up to tell me as I had been classified as an Electrical Fitter that was the only licence I could get. GREAT!

Now that I had my training permit I was told to contact the local TAFE (TAFE is a college) which I did and I was told I would have to pay $790 dollars and then they would meet me to tell me what I had to do to get my licence. After querying the extortionate amount they said, "oh yeah, sorry its only $499. After paying I attended the local TAFE to talk to the electrical trainer. He said that they can get me an Electrical Mechanics licence once I have obtained my Electrical Fitters licence but I will have to work with a fully licenced Electrical Mechanic for some time first. Confused? I was and still am a bit as they are only a TAFE and not the Licencing authority.
Anyway, The electrical trainer gave me a work book full of questions and answers and said to take it home and work through it and then contact them when I am ready to take the test. He said that the test consists of a 3 hour practical exam and a 3 hour written exam.
Well the work book I was given is really poorly put together. Its been hashed up from an Electrical Mechanics training book with some text crossed out, pages back to front, missing answers to questions, same questions appearing twice on the same page. Really amateurish effort really. This is costing me $499 and when I pass I will have to fork out over $800 to start my Electrical Mechanics course.
Fortunately one of the firms that interviewed me are employing me as a Trade assistant so at least I can get to work with the Electrical Mechanic required by the TAFE.

At present I am about 3 quarters of the way through the Electrical Fitters workbook. so expect to contact the TAFE about going in to take my tests soon, probably before the end of next month. I've had my workbook about 5 or 6 weeks and probably could have got through it in about 2 or 3 weeks if I had spent about an hour every night but I'm finding it hard to find the enthusiasm after a hard days work to sit down of an evening to do it.

Any question I can answer I will.

I have heard that the TRA office in Brisbane has close down since I went there in early May. Apparently they have moved to Melbourne which must be equivalent to moving from Birmingham to Berlin.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical licence - story so far.

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I've been here (Queensland) since mid April and am in the process of getting my electrical licence.
Soon after arriving here I started applying for work and had a couple of interviews with different firms. Both stated that they would require me to have both an Electrical Fitters licence and an Electrical Mechanics licence before they could employ me fully as an Electrician. TRA classified me as an Electrician Special Class (which is basically an industrial electrician) for the purpose of migration. ie to get my visa. When I arrived in Australia I had to go in person to the TRA office in Brisbane to show my apprenticeship papers which I did within about 3 weeks of arriving here. I should have tried to get there earlier but it didn't seem the main priority at the time. About two weeks later they sent me an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate classifying me as an Electrical Fitter. Somehow I think Electrician Special Class isn't actually a trade! Then I printed off the licence application filled it in and ticked the two boxes indicating that I was applying for both an Electrical Fitter licence and an Electrical Mechanics licence. About 2 or 3 weeks later I was sent a training permit allowing me to work as an Electrical Fitter only if I am supervised by a licenced electrical worker. I wrote and told them that they had made a mistake and that I was also applying for an Electrical Mechanics licence a couple of days later someone from the licencing authority phoned me up to tell me as I had been classified as an Electrical Fitter that was the only licence I could get. GREAT!

Now that I had my training permit I was told to contact the local TAFE (TAFE is a college) which I did and I was told I would have to pay $790 dollars and then they would meet me to tell me what I had to do to get my licence. After querying the extortionate amount they said, "oh yeah, sorry its only $499. After paying I attended the local TAFE to talk to the electrical trainer. He said that they can get me an Electrical Mechanics licence once I have obtained my Electrical Fitters licence but I will have to work with a fully licenced Electrical Mechanic for some time first. Confused? I was and still am a bit as they are only a TAFE and not the Licencing authority.
Anyway, The electrical trainer gave me a work book full of questions and answers and said to take it home and work through it and then contact them when I am ready to take the test. He said that the test consists of a 3 hour practical exam and a 3 hour written exam.
Well the work book I was given is really poorly put together. Its been hashed up from an Electrical Mechanics training book with some text crossed out, pages back to front, missing answers to questions, same questions appearing twice on the same page. Really amateurish effort really. This is costing me $499 and when I pass I will have to fork out over $800 to start my Electrical Mechanics course.
Fortunately one of the firms that interviewed me are employing me as a Trade assistant so at least I can get to work with the Electrical Mechanic required by the TAFE.

At present I am about 3 quarters of the way through the Electrical Fitters workbook. so expect to contact the TAFE about going in to take my tests soon, probably before the end of next month. I've had my workbook about 5 or 6 weeks and probably could have got through it in about 2 or 3 weeks if I had spent about an hour every night but I'm finding it hard to find the enthusiasm after a hard days work to sit down of an evening to do it.

I have heard that the TRA office in Brisbane has close down since I wentthere in early May. Apparently they have moved to Melbourne which must be equivalent to moving from Birmingham to Berlin.

sounds like a right mare!!
we are arriving in 4 weeks and hubby will have to go through similar (plumber) but if thats what it takes?? then we have to bite the bullet and do it...
good luck with everything..
Old Aug 28th 2005, 1:53 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

bloody hell i am a factory spark at the mo but manage to get out as a general elec so i can hopefully do domestic when i get out there.
had heard that getting ur j.i.b card can help in some way so getting that at the moment.
just hoping that wa or victoria aren't as bad to get the licence.

hope all goes well for u and lets us know what the tests are like, i am dreading them when i get out there.

ATB

andy
Old Aug 28th 2005, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by migrantoz

I have heard that the TRA office in Brisbane has close down since I went there in early May. Apparently they have moved to Melbourne which must be equivalent to moving from Birmingham to Berlin.
Interesting read as I too am trying to get my electrical licence but I live in Perth. I was given a class of General Electrician for the purpose of immigration which is just a class to get you here. Once here I started the journey of trying to get my licence. I had to photocopy all my certificates and send them to the Trades Recognition Authority who had my file with all the certificates already. The board sat and said there was insignificant evidence to grant me a licence so I had to pay $280 to sit a 3 hour theory and 3 hour practical exam, but I didnt get any poorly put together book just a date for the exam. I took the exam and the lecturer marked it there and then and said there was no reason for them not to recommend me for being granted a licence. The TAFE had to write to the TRA and then the TRA board would sit again and look if I could now be granted a licence. When they asked me for the additional $280 I emailed the TRA and asked how much would it cost to get my licence as it seemed as if it was fee after fee, I got a swift reply from them saying if i passed the test that would be it I'd be granted the certificate to take to the licencing board. The bloke from the TRA office apologised and said its the way it works out here. So electricians who are on there way out here be warned it will take time and patience to get your licence and a little bit of money too, but I have found there is work out there to get you threw the time it takes to get your licence. I spent some time working with an A grade electrician repairing industrial cleaning machines the pay was poor but least it was a job and it only took 7 days from landing to get!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by woody1974
bloody hell i am a factory spark at the mo but manage to get out as a general elec so i can hopefully do domestic when i get out there.
had heard that getting ur j.i.b card can help in some way so getting that at the moment.

hope all goes well for u and lets us know what the tests are like, i am dreading them when i get out there.

ATB

andy
I'm not so sure that getting a jib card will help at all, but it can't hurt. I came out armed with all kinds of proof of experience, certificates and employers statements but all that TRA wanted to see were my apprenticeship certificates, passport and visa.

I managed to get my job as a Trade Assistant by trawling through the Yellow pages and emailing all the local electrical firms that had an email address listed. I just wrote attaching my CV/Resume, explaining that I was in the process of applying for a licence and would be prepared to work as a Trade Assistant until I got my licence.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

ATB

andy
We were told by the Licensing authority in WA that if we had our J.I.B card they would grant us an A Grade license immediately! It will definately help if you manage to get it before you leave, we ran out of time!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:10 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
We were told by the Licensing authority in WA that if we had our J.I.B card they would grant us an A Grade license immediately! It will definately help if you manage to get it before you leave, we ran out of time!
thanks for that wasn't sure if it was true or not but at least you've heard it from the horses mouth. anyway will get it soon now as i passed the health and safety course which you have to do to get it.
i take it you are already there or just about to leave then, will have to keep each other posted as to how we get on

cheers

andy
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that wasn't sure if it was true or not but at least you've heard it from the horses mouth. anyway will get it soon now as i passed the health and safety course which you have to do to get it.
i take it you are already there or just about to leave then, will have to keep each other posted as to how we get on

cheers

andy
Yes we are already here. Been here 6 months now and lovin it. We are doing really well as I (Sindy) have a government job in the libraries so we have some job security between us. Craig has a job working for BP Marine as that is the area he used to provide electrical maitenance for in the uk, although out here is only providing barrel filing support but he hopes his skills will be recognised and when he gets some sort of lecky license he can find a slot there. If he doesn't get his license we can have a good lifestyle on the money he earns there, the only disadvantage is that his job , although full-time, is only casual and so does not pay holiday or sick pay. There are a lot of jobs here that work like that, unfortunately!

We did try to get the J.I.B license in the uk, but we di not have time to get the H&S test sat so we could not get the license. It is a bit fiddley out here to get things sorted but I'm sure it will happen in time and in the meantime we are managing quite well. We have a 5 bd house, a pool, a small sail boat, a 4x4 and a motorbike! There is not a lot more we want from this move so we are very happy with the way things have worked out for us. The lecky license will mean we will both have job security again, which would be nice.

We would love to keep in touch and maybe we can see you when you get out here. I run coffee mornings on Thursdays for newbies just arriving to offer advice and support, which you are more than welcome to attend (or your partner maybe!).

Best of luck with the J.I.B card and we will see you Xmas time (dont forget to pack the suncream!)
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

patmoss is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Electrical licence - story so far.

Guys,
this is great info for us sparkies, wears you down though having to go through all this bumff just to do a job that you've been doing for years!!!

Patmoss
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by patmoss
Guys,
this is great info for us sparkies, wears you down though having to go through all this bumff just to do a job that you've been doing for years!!!

Patmoss
Too right!!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

patmoss is on a distinguished road

bump
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Our mate passed his test last week he's now officially a qualified sparkie yet he's got to wait a year and go back to TAFE before he can gain a contractors licence to set up on his own . Mad place this QLD
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Too right!!
You really need to update your signature now
Old Aug 31st 2005, 3:41 pm
still searching

[QUOTE=JIVEBABE]Yes we are already here. Been here 6 months now and lovin it. We are doing really well as I (Sindy) have a government job in the libraries so we have some job security between us. Craig has a job working for BP Marine as that is the area he used to provide electrical maitenance for in the uk, although out here is only providing barrel filing support but he hopes his skills will be recognised and when he gets some sort of lecky license he can find a slot there.

cheers sindy will keep all informed on how we do, which part of wa are you ?
and does sound like the dream move with the boat and house lol.
at least you know your hubbie will never be short of work in the oil industry,
thanks again about letting me know about the j.i.b and may see you soon lol

cheers

Andy
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

An Excellent thread, We are hoping to go to Perth, is it really true that if you get your JIB card here that is all you will need to get a grade A license. As I am going through the process now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.