Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical items and plugs!

Electrical items and plugs!

Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electrical items and plugs!

I plan to take some electrical items to sydney when I go in Jan; laptop, washing machine, dishwasher etc and i need to change plugs o Australian ones. Is it better just to buy adapters or can things be changed here before I go?
Thanks, Helen
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical items and plugs!

Hi Helen,

We plan to buy loads from wilkos, seem the cheapest. Some plugs are now sealed so is it worth changing them ?

Buy some 4 or 6 gang ones too with surge protector for your TV and laptop.

Paul
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:45 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
I plan to take some electrical items to sydney when I go in Jan; laptop, washing machine, dishwasher etc and i need to change plugs o Australian ones. Is it better just to buy adapters or can things be changed here before I go?
Thanks, Helen
for those that cannot be changed ie when the transformer forms part of the plug ( mobiles etc ) get some 4 way extensions ( from the uk ) and on arrival put an aussie plug top on it ( bunnings approx 2.50 each )

definitely dont try running anything that takes over say a couple of amps via an adaptor so for the dishwasher washing machine toasters kettles htrs etc
swap to an aussie one

the vast majority of adaptors ( but not all ) dont have an earth pin
why is that a problem ???
no earth pin and your not earthed should there be a problem you run the risk of getting an electrical shock via the metallic outer case / body of the appliance
secondly the phase and neutral pins are usually movable as these are made to fit a variety of outlets this means that the connection isnt always that good and anything with a decent load will cause the pins to heat up and could cause fire or burning of the adaptor

so my advice on arrival go to bunnings / mitre / local hardware/diy shop buy a pile of plug tops and get them fitted

regards steve
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
Thanks, Helen
If you are stopping off in Singapore on your way out, pick up some multi-plug extensions that can take UK/Aus/anywhere else plugs. I was there recently and bought some 3, 4 and 6 plug versions. Thet are surge protected too. So now I can have UK and Aus equipment plugged into the same extension, which is great for computer equipment and stuff with moulded transformers.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

If you plan on staying in Australia, get the whole lot changed to Australian Standard Plugs. Extension leads are alright in the short term but you should really have AU/NZ standard plugs. There might just be an insurance issue if there is a fire and your plugs are to blame.

Barney.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
for those that cannot be changed ie when the transformer forms part of the plug ( mobiles etc ) get some 4 way extensions ( from the uk ) and on arrival put an aussie plug top on it ( bunnings approx 2.50 each )

definitely dont try running anything that takes over say a couple of amps via an adaptor so for the dishwasher washing machine toasters kettles htrs etc
swap to an aussie one

the vast majority of adaptors ( but not all ) dont have an earth pin
why is that a problem ???
no earth pin and your not earthed should there be a problem you run the risk of getting an electrical shock via the metallic outer case / body of the appliance
secondly the phase and neutral pins are usually movable as these are made to fit a variety of outlets this means that the connection isnt always that good and anything with a decent load will cause the pins to heat up and could cause fire or burning of the adaptor

so my advice on arrival go to bunnings / mitre / local hardware/diy shop buy a pile of plug tops and get them fitted

regards steve
Cheers Steve, good advice....we have put aussie adaptors on a lot of our stuff e.g. TV, Kettle, Toaster ect and will not look at changing the plugs to Aussie based on your advice.