British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Electrical items (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/electrical-items-583602/)

Maggiemoo Jan 12th 2009 11:06 am

Electrical items

This is probably a silly question but will we be able to bring our TV/DVD/Xbox players to Australia and use an adaptor to plug them in? We bought a Wii in Aus last year and have been using it in the UK. Many thanks, Mags

ABCDiamond Jan 12th 2009 11:39 am

Re: Electrical items

Most TV's will work, using the setting for France or Germany

Some of the older TV's will get a picture but no sound, but this can be got round by either having the TV converted when you arrive, or you can buy an Australian VCR or Set Top Box, when you get here and use that to receive the channels.

Your DVD's may be specific to certain areas. The UK is DVD Region 2, and Australia is DVD region 4. Many DVD players have a region free option, which means they will play any DVD.

Television Technical specs

Demented Ferret Jan 12th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 7155928)
This is probably a silly question but will we be able to bring our TV/DVD/Xbox players to Australia and use an adaptor to plug them in? We bought a Wii in Aus last year and have been using it in the UK. Many thanks, Mags

Just remember to bring about 6 x 4 way strip adapters, change 6 plugs instead of 24. Belive me changing plugs is tiresome, but after 24 you become god dam quick.

Maggiemoo Jan 12th 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. The TV is only 2 years old (LCD) so that should be fine. The Xbox is an original one (not 360) but my son has so many games it would be a shame to have to start again. Will probably just give all our dvd's away rather than bring them with the possibility that they won't play on a DVD player in Australia.

Many thanks,
Mags:)

Maggiemoo Jan 12th 2009 12:03 pm

Demented Ferrett - what is a 4 way strip adaptor?:confused:

Burbage Jan 12th 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 7156179)
Demented Ferrett - what is a 4 way strip adaptor?:confused:

Multi socket adapters. Bring plenty, you'll be able to sell the ones you don't need to the people who didn't bring any.

Keep your DVDs. You can easily get multi-region players.

Maggiemoo Jan 12th 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks a lot for that. Do you mean UK 4 way adaptor strips? Why would peo0ple want to buy them? Am I being thick here?!?!?

ABCDiamond Jan 12th 2009 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7156367)
Keep your DVDs. You can easily get multi-region players.

I agree, most definately.

I saw a multi region DVD player for $29 at Harvey Norman the other day.

divaboy Jan 12th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 7156425)
Thanks a lot for that. Do you mean UK 4 way adaptor strips? Why would peo0ple want to buy them? Am I being thick here?!?!?

Surely change the mutligang to Australia plug and then plug 4/8 UK plugs into the 4/8 way adopter there fore only changing one socket :p

Burbage Jan 12th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by divaboy (Post 7158760)
Surely change the mutligang to Australia plug and then plug 4/8 UK plugs into the 4/8 way adopter there fore only changing one socket :p

Indeed, and bring a few spare UK plugs. You may find it more useful to convert your newly bought Australian electrical devices to UK plugs if you are using UK multi gang power boards. I know I wish I had a few.

comet555 Jan 12th 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 7156175)
Thanks for the advice. The TV is only 2 years old (LCD) so that should be fine. The Xbox is an original one (not 360) but my son has so many games it would be a shame to have to start again. Will probably just give all our dvd's away rather than bring them with the possibility that they won't play on a DVD player in Australia.

Many thanks,
Mags:)

Definitely keep the dvd's. We brought hundreds from Canada and just bought a cheap multi region player here. They all work just fine.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 12th 2009 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7158581)
I agree, most definately.

I saw a multi region DVD player for $29 at Harvey Norman the other day.

Surely you didn't buy it there and then?? Without checking 42 other possible shops via the web first?? Without plugging the potential ongoing costs into your spreadsheets?? I'm shocked !! :eek::);)

Maggiemoo Jan 13th 2009 8:57 am

Thanks all, I get it now. Will definitely bring the DVD's. My son will be very pleased as he is a huge Dr Who fan and has all the new series and was disappointed not to be able to bring them with him.

I also have a 2 year old laptop, will I be able to bring that with me as well?

Mags

vickiejaynem Jan 13th 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 7156425)

clever idea:)

medwaymark Jan 13th 2009 9:51 am

Even if you get a DVD player that isn't multi-region, you can normally find instructions on the internet on how to convert to multiregion. I have done this with all the DVD players I have ever bought, including a DVD recorder bought here.

How ever many travel adaptors you think you might need....double it and add a couple of more. We had loads when we got her....you try finding one now though....god knows where they vanish too :rofl: