British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   electrical goods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/electrical-goods-559214/)

mickpower75 Sep 3rd 2008 2:12 pm

electrical goods

Dear all another question which will no doubt have been asked before many times.

i will be shipping all contents of my house from Scotland to Tapping area in Perth.

The thing is will the plugs be ok to work in Oz or will i need a convertor as i will be shipping all white goods playstations Nintendo Wii cd players dvd players please advise

cheers

Mick:):):):):):thumbsup::thumbsup:

EvannTel Sep 3rd 2008 2:20 pm

Re: electrical goods

Originally Posted by mickpower75 (Post 6744310)
Dear all another question which will no doubt have been asked before many times.

i will be shipping all contents of my house from Scotland to Tapping area in Perth.

The thing is will the plugs be ok to work in Oz or will i need a convertor as i will be shipping all white goods playstations Nintendo Wii cd players dvd players please advise

cheers

Best bet is to get yourself a good strong metal file. That way you can shape the chunky UK plug pins into the thin Australian style ones. Takes a bit of practice but once you've got it your away and saves $$$$.

Seriously converters aren't required as such. Electric is the same as UK (unlike US for example). The plugs/sockets are different though.
You can either change the plugs to Aus ones on arrival and/or use UK power boards (4/6/8 plus adapters) and chnage one plug. I use power boards in office and for TV/DVD etc. That way I only have to change one plug.

Pollyana Sep 3rd 2008 3:04 pm

cheers

You don't need a "converter" just plug adapters. Bring lots of powerboards and extension leads with you :)

DVDs player will work. Aus is Region 4 so your DVD player need to be multi-region to play UK (2) and Aus (4).

Nintendo wii - has been discussed many times, do a search and you'll find it, (I don't have one so don't know!)

CD players and playstations, all work OK :)

steve`o Sep 3rd 2008 8:07 pm

cheers

on arrival go to your local bunnings ( think big B&Q ) or hardware store and buy yourself a pile of aussie plug tops ( look for 10amp plug tops ) and change them all over ( about 2-3 bucks each ), for the ones you cannot change ie mobile chargers etc where the transformers built into the plug buy a multisocet board in the uk and fit an aussie plug on it,

my advice is dont use any adaptor at all if you can help it,
why ??
the vast majority dont have earth pins so straight away your equipment isnt earthed, and secondly the vast majority have movable live and neutral pins as they are made to fit several types of sockets, this means you dont get a very good connection between the pin and the socket and with something that pulls alot of power say a kettle, toaster etc you run the risk of the pins arcing which causes heat and a potential for fire,

and thirdly you`ll probably find that the aussie plus are cheaper than buying the adaptors in the first place so its more economical and surely thats got to appeal to a scotsman :rofl:

hope this helps guys

regards steve

ps aus voltage 230v 50hz
uk voltage 230v 50hz so everything should work exactly the same