Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical goods

Electrical goods

Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice
Default Electrical goods

we have a list of things that we are not sure whether to leave, sell with the house or take with us. Can anyone help us out? Would it be sensible to take the lot or buy over there to save on shipping costs? Also, probably most importantly, will they work ok over in Australia?

LCD tv (approx 27", 3 years old)
DVD/Surround sound (in great condition, 3 years old)
LCD tv (approx 17", 3 years old)
Microwave
American style fridge/freezer (1 year old)

Smaller things include: - hairstraighteners & hairdryer, juicer, blender, electric whisk, mens razor, iPod speakers, bedside lamps.

Are these daft things to ask about?? Sorry!

Hope someone can help out though!

Yx
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:30 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical goods

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul
we have a list of things that we are not sure whether to leave, sell with the house or take with us. Can anyone help us out? Would it be sensible to take the lot or buy over there to save on shipping costs? Also, probably most importantly, will they work ok over in Australia?

Microwave

Smaller things include: - hairstraighteners & hairdryer, juicer, blender, electric whisk, mens razor, iPod speakers, bedside lamps.

Yx
We've shipped both of our TVs as apparently they work thru' Foxtel. As yours aren't very old it's probably worth it. Same with fridge-if you love it then take it. We shipped our 18 month old Smeg as they cost twice as much in Aus.

I think if you are shipping all your furniture and other belongings you might as well fill the container and take the electricals as well. Sounds like the majority smaller items are fine on the other side-just need a change of plug. You may have a problem with the DVD being wrong region (unless multi-region)-but I think you can decode them..
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

One problem with shipping stuff, you have to wait imagine how would you cope for 8 weeks (how long I've been waiting) without a fridge Tv's you can do without, so can wait for, but sell the fridge and buy new when you arrive, we got a lovely LG stainless with plumbed in water and ice maker for $1250
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
One problem with shipping stuff, you have to wait imagine how would you cope for 8 weeks (how long I've been waiting) without a fridge Tv's you can do without, so can wait for, but sell the fridge and buy new when you arrive, we got a lovely LG stainless with plumbed in water and ice maker for $1250
Thats true-waiting would be a pain. Depends on your movements. Our stuff arrives this week 3 months before we do which is a bonus as have shipped all and wont be without after arrival
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Microwave

Yx
we have a tv which was 8mths old and worked fine, we also have a tv which is 3yrs old and does not work.
the dvd, we have a sony dvd system 18mths old does not play rental dvd's.
but we also have a cheep dvd from tesco 8mths old and that plays all dvd,s
Luck of the draw, but i think all tv's will work through foxtell (sky).
Everything else, electrical should be fine. but bring uk multi plug adaptors, if you need to plug in anything with a transformer.

Last edited by milly123; Oct 16th 2007 at 2:38 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Microwave

Yx
Hi,

your tv's should be fine and all the smaller appliances - just need to change plugs over or get adapters.

The Dvd player, unless multi region, will not play Aussie dvds. Australia is region 4 and the uk is region 2. If you have a good dvd collection take it with you and either buy another dvd player in oz for new dvds or check the internet for a region free code for your system....Almost every dvd player can be unlocked

Mark and Gill
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Sorry can I ask I have a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma will that work over there I really dont want to leave it behin its only 2 year old also!!!!!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brockies
Sorry can I ask I have a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma will that work over there I really dont want to leave it behin its only 2 year old also!!!!!
Hi Brockies,

I am taking my Panasonic 42inch plasma also.........it will work fine......For a panasonic plasma in oz you are looking at around aud $4k

It is definately worth your while taking your tv if it is reasonably new.

mark & Gill
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

the murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the rough

you can buy adaptors in walmark there for uk electricals.
siobhan
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the murrays
you can buy adaptors in walmark there for uk electricals.
siobhan
Hi Siobhan,

Have you got any more news on the visa.......were still waiting

Mark & Gill
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi Brockies,

I am taking my Panasonic 42inch plasma also.........it will work fine......For a panasonic plasma in oz you are looking at around aud $4k

mark & Gill
Cheers Mark and Gill I love my telly..........
Old Oct 16th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

theshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant futuretheshinenz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi Brockies,

mark & Gill
No they aren't, I've been checking and you can get the latest panasonic plasma (the black one) on ebay australia brand new with warranty for $1900AUD, thats the model we have here in new zealand and its great, but we are selling it here and buying new when we get over as it would be a pain with warranties etc if anything went wrong with it in a different country. In my opinion I would tend to leave most appliances and furniture behind as I've heard about the warranty situation and that the furniture is not treated to the conditions and termites in OZ.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:29 am
Just Joined

jimbo2055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My wife and i are undecied as to whether to yake our 32" LG LCD does anybody know if it will work in queensland?

The cromptons
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:35 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo2055
Hi

My wife and i are undecied as to whether to yake our 32" LG LCD does anybody know if it will work in queensland?

The cromptons
yes it will work.. worse case scenario, use a STB or fire it thru your foxtel...

All our tv's work fine
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:38 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo2055
Hi

The cromptons
My OH has told me that our 42" plasma won't beable to pick up telly programmes etc when we get over there... We are taking it as he says that we can use it for the Xbox360 and the Wii..... hmmmmm? I think he might be "spinning me a line" here !

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.