Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical equipment in oz

Electrical equipment in oz

Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:23 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Electrical equipment in oz

Hi I am new to all this site so i may be in the completely wrong place.
We have just started our application to migrate to oz and wondered if it is worth selling all our tvs dvd players etc as we are not sure if they will be compatible or not
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:27 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical equipment in oz

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton

yep. try the lifestyle oz form.

We have just started our application to migrate to oz and wondered if it is worth selling all our tvs dvd players etc as we are not sure if they will be compatible or not

no idea
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Take your TV with you. You'll be able to pick up BBC1.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:37 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Take your TV with you. You'll be able to pick up BBC1.

lol

If they take the sat dish and decoder will they get sky??
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:46 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Tv will work if you buy a cheap aus video and get your signal through that .It must be attached via scart lead and you will turn the chanel over on the video not tv . Other wise you will get no sound. If its and old or cheap tv i would treat your self to a new one in oz.
Dvd will work but get it deregioned or you will only be able to watch your uk dvds the plugs will need changing for oz wall sockets ok.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum. Its a roller coaster ride.

TV's in Aus use a different frequency for TV sound broadcast - so UK TVs will not necessarily be able to pick up the sound from terrestrial TV broadcasts. You will need to check your manual . Majority of TV's that expat take with them, require the use of a Australian Set top Box or Aus Video player, which when run through, will give you sound. If you have a good TV bring it with you. Portable TV's are not worth bringing, as you will have to purchase a Video to hear it, and you can buy a Aus Portable TV for the same money.

Region 2 (UK Purchased) DVD players, will work in Aus as Voltage is the same. You will not be able to watch Aus DVD movies you may rent. If you have a Multi Regional DVD player then you have no problems at all. If you dont know what you have got, then do some searches on the web, as many websites will help you identify your machine, and may be able to show you how to make it region free.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

We're gonna take our tv,dvd and video. Got loads of discs, videos, playstation games etc. Don't want to get there and find everything we have can't be viewed properly. My son won't be best pleased if all his playstation/gamecube games won't work, life would be made hell for the rest of us. We will still have to buy an Aus tv but thats the excuse to upgrade to a home cinema system i hope
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:33 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
We're gonna take our tv,dvd and video. Got loads of discs, videos, playstation games etc. Don't want to get there and find everything we have can't be viewed properly. My son won't be best pleased if all his playstation/gamecube games won't work, life would be made hell for the rest of us. We will still have to buy an Aus tv but thats the excuse to upgrade to a home cinema system i hope
Will the playstation 2 work? We've just bought a new one
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
Will the playstation 2 work? We've just bought a new one

we have been told they won't work on Aus tv's......thats why we were advised to take our TV. at least the electric is the same. For the amount of space a tv, dvd and video takes up, it's worth putting it in the container. Don't forget to take a couple of extension leads, replace the main plug with an Aus plug. You can then leave all your existing plugs on your appliances.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
we have been told they won't work on Aus tv's......thats why we were advised to take our TV. at least the electric is the same. For the amount of space a tv, dvd and video takes up, it's worth putting it in the container. Don't forget to take a couple of extension leads, replace the main plug with an Aus plug. You can then leave all your existing plugs on your appliances.
There has been several threads on this subject, so just search this forum. As far as i know, PS2 will work OK. Dont sell it yet
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:33 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
There has been several threads on this subject, so just search this forum. As far as i know, PS2 will work OK. Dont sell it yet
SELL EM.. There's lots of cheap t.v's and dvd's available in Aus. Just like the UK.
CORKER
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:16 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I understand it Aus and UK are both on PAL (as opposed to US NTSC) so the technology is the same. However Aus uses PAL B/G wheras the UK uses PAL I which is why you get pics but no sound.

I sold my UK TV and didn't have a DVD player so bought both of those here. I brought my UK VCR as I have tons of films etc on Video I didn't want to bin, got a video capture card for the PC and will aim to record them to the PC and burn to DVD so I can watch them here.

Once I got everything set up, Aussie TV, Aussie DVD, Aussie digital TV box (free to air channels, not Foxtel) I connected my UK video up using SCART from the Digital TV Box to the Video, and connected the VCR to the TV using a SCART to RCA plug adapter and found the VCR now will record TV fine and all my UK Videos play on the Aussie TV fine.

Just as an aside SCART is not widely used here, my TV has no SCART plug, it has a composite video input, two sets of standard RCA connections (like aerial connectors coloured red,yellow and white) and an S-Video Input.

As I understand it some newer decent TV's will be able to switch automatically to different PAL standards so would work over here. You'd need to check your manual or contact the manufacturer and see if it works on PAL B/G
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Bring some UK 4/6 way plug adapters with you.
Then change the plug on those leads when you get here.
That allows you to use all your UK plugged appliances immediately without having to change ALL your plugs straight away.

As others have said, some TV's will work, some won't.

If you do sell, then here are some example prices over here:

Samsung DVD/VCR (6 head) combo $199 (less about 12% for cash)
LG DVD Recorder $499 (less about 12% for cash)
Philips 106cm (42i) Plasma TV $2999 (less about 12% for cash)
www.thegoodguys.com.au post code 4165

34cm TV Audiosonic
www.Kmart.com.au

Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:03 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Question A New Beginning (I Hope!!)

We Have just started filling in the vast amounts of paperwork required for migration (skilled) Russ is a head chef so we are hoping tthis is our way in
What we are skightly worried about is the health screening cos i have high blood pressure.... will that stop us from immigrating