British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Electrical Contractor prices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/electrical-contractor-prices-501156/)

Reasonable Dec 22nd 2007 3:29 am

Electrical Contractor prices

I am having a renovation of living area and courtyard. Does anyone have a cost guide for electrical contractor's services - e.g. $x per power socket, light fitting etc?

Also if anyone could recommend an electrician in Melbourne Albert Park area?

Many thanks

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 25th 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Electrical Contractor prices

Reasonable;
you will find the costings of a spark for the basic stuff is $65.00 per hour i would get them to quote for the job NOT per hour some people will go slow or sit on the Arse's for ever on the hourly rate.
also depending what you require will govern the price, some people think albert park is posh and they increase there rates.

when you ready message me & i can come & have a look for you, i live in Rowville near Knox City thats about 30 mins drive from my place. may i ask what work are you requiring.

h2oskineil Dec 26th 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 5704244)
Reasonable;
you will find the costings of a spark for the basic stuff is $65.00 per hour i would get them to quote for the job NOT per hour some people will go slow or sit on the Arse's for ever on the hourly rate.
also depending what you require will govern the price, some people think albert park is posh and they increase there rates.

when you ready message me & i can come & have a look for you, i live in Rowville near Knox City thats about 30 mins drive from my place. may i ask what work are you requiring.

I had a sparky in my workshop the other day, to look a small water heater that had stopped working. He diagnosed it was not worth repairing and needed to be replaced. He disconnected the wires for a plumber to change the unit (20 mins max) I asked him to change 3 fluorescent tubes (which he had on the van) another 20- 30 mins if I'm generous...... the bill was $750.00!

Haven't paid it yet as I have asked for a full break down of the bill including the hourly rate and how long they estimate they were there for.
The moral of this post... get a quote up front!

steve`o Dec 26th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil (Post 5705560)
I had a sparky in my workshop the other day, to look a small water heater that had stopped working. He diagnosed it was not worth repairing and needed to be replaced. He disconnected the wires for a plumber to change the unit (20 mins max) I asked him to change 3 fluorescent tubes (which he had on the van) another 20- 30 mins if I'm generous...... the bill was $750.00!

Haven't paid it yet as I have asked for a full break down of the bill including the hourly rate and how long they estimate they were there for.

robbin barsturd;)

The_Pom_From_Aus Dec 26th 2007 9:21 pm

h2oskineil;5
The cost of $750.00! is just pathetic how the F**K can they sleep at night thats just not on i would not pay them, asking for a breakdown wont actually help you, once you have actually asked them to do the job your legally bound to pay them im sorry to say..

it does not give any confidence at all for the customer to employ a so called trade person to do any job for them. i live in melbourne if you ever need any work done message me i dont rob people, the costing of work just depends an the actual job, meaning if its a pig of a job then the cost is a little more NOT great amounts, the disconnection of the water heater is a doddle of a job as is changing light globes, if the person was there for say 2 hours + travel a cost of about $250.00 inclusive of cert of electrical safety is more than enough for them.

if you live in Qld then ask Stev'o he is a decent bloke who shall also look after you

sparky77 Dec 28th 2007 11:18 pm

(The cost of $750.00! is just pathetic how the F**K can they sleep at night)

sorry about this comment

On a tall mattress, he may need a new ladder to get into bed.

if a sparky getting $750 for about 2hrs work sponsor me plz.

tony_russell Dec 28th 2007 11:57 pm

a conscious is nice but business is business rodney.....

Bobcat Dec 29th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil (Post 5705560)

I've just had a sparky on site for the last two days hooking up power and fixing new lights to our extended patio........... total of 16 hours so far. He still has to run 3 phase power to my new shed and install lights and power outlets.

I am very impressed with him so far .......... he is from the old school and takes pride in his work.......... plus he is a nice bloke too. I will be very surprised if we get taken for a ride with his bill as he seems to be a decent and genuine bloke.

We got him out of the Wanneroo Times so didn't know anything about him? My usual network of tradesmen can't fit us in until well in the New Year ........ this bloke bent over backwards and juggled his other jobs around so as to fit us in whereas others didn't even bother turning up to give a quote.

I'll let you know how we fared price-wise............ I don't think there will be any problems with the bill?

woody1974 Dec 30th 2007 9:44 pm

I've just had a sparky on site for the last two days hooking up power and fixing new lights to our extended patio........... total of 16 hours so far. He still has to run 3 phase power to my new shed and install lights and power outlets

$750 dollars seems very steep to me, he may re think his bill now you have enquired about it. i am a spark in the northern burbs and i think a fare rate for gpo's is around 100/120 per outlet and changing light fittings depends on how much of a pain the ass they are.

but always get them to run through the costs before they start, not meaning to judge anyone but your job seems like there is a fair bit to do so ask how the price is working out.
sparkies will much rather work in one place for a few days more than traveling around doing single power points or one light overheads and all.

ATB

andy

northernbird Dec 30th 2007 10:13 pm

We recently had a new kitchen fitted. Our very nice scottish sparky was quite reasonable. He charged by the job rather than the hour. He charged $99 for a new plug socket. $150 for disconnecting old oven and reconnected new one. We needed a whole new line from the fuse box to the oven, he charged $250 for that. Total bill for about 5 hours work in total over 2 visits was $800.

Mumfords Dec 31st 2007 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 5716429)
I've just had a sparky on site for the last two days hooking up power and fixing new lights to our extended patio........... total of 16 hours so far. He still has to run 3 phase power to my new shed and install lights and power outlets.

I am very impressed with him so far .......... he is from the old school and takes pride in his work.......... plus he is a nice bloke too. I will be very surprised if we get taken for a ride with his bill as he seems to be a decent and genuine bloke.

We got him out of the Wanneroo Times so didn't know anything about him? My usual network of tradesmen can't fit us in until well in the New Year ........ this bloke bent over backwards and juggled his other jobs around so as to fit us in whereas others didn't even bother turning up to give a quote.

I'll let you know how we fared price-wise............ I don't think there will be any problems with the bill?

Being nosey here but why 3 phase in the shed!!!:eek: mind you OH is looking to do the same for business venture