Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical appliances short term rental

Electrical appliances short term rental

Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Electrical appliances short term rental

Jaz came up with what i think is a really good idea today

I want to know if any of you guys still in UK would be interested in such a service when you first arrive, and are waiting for your washing machine, fridge and other items to be shipped over?

Would you consider that as an option, or will you be buyng new as soon as you get here?
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:06 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

TOP idea - wish I was moving to Adelaide!!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:09 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical appliances short term rental

Originally posted by podgypossum
Jaz came up with what i think is a really good idea today

I want to know if any of you guys still in UK would be interested in such a service when you first arrive, and are waiting for your washing machine, fridge and other items to be shipped over?

Would you consider that as an option, or will you be buyng new as soon as you get here?

Great idea , but isnt this already being done, or are you aiming at those who use this website ??

Why not also offer a complete EXPAT health check, ie TVS, white goods, how cookers work < pmsl ok im a bloke

In fact a complete welcome service with everything from fuel watch to connecting a new computer to the internet in oz !

Good idea Podgy
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I not sure if anyone doing it..we only talked about it today...but i do know that places like Radio Rentals only do it on the 12mth contract...so if you are only waiting a matter of weeks till your stuff arrives its not much use to you.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:18 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I not sure if anyone doing it..we only talked about it today...but i do know that places like Radio Rentals only do it on the 12mth contract...so if you are only waiting a matter of weeks till your stuff arrives its not much use to you.

Why not consider doing a welcome pack that you could distribute to migrants, you could then distribute your welcome packs as giveaways at realtors etc...

Short term rental is a very good idea, when you arrive in oz you will need a BCN number so that you may trade , this is fairly straightforward but requires that you have a taxation number, costs for me was $106.00 for 1 year and $220 for 3 years i think..

good luck
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

we ae going to do a welcome pack, but obviously it is going ot take time to gather it all together and sort things out. We are going ot be very busy!!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:29 am
Banned

we ae going to do a welcome pack, but obviously it is going ot take time to gather it all together and sort things out. We are going ot be very busy!!

sure will be , but cool idea, and perhaps run it by everyone on here and get POLL to edit it , apparenttly shes a JOURNALIST you know lol
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:35 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Are we going to put some wine in the welcome pack?

I think we'll need it!!!!

Trayla

Old Jan 19th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just bumping this up to get more feedback... need to know if it would be worthwhile. Maybe not, as theres not much response so far. Would like to hear some negative points if there are any!!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:05 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
sure will be , but cool idea, and perhaps run it by everyone on here and get POLL to edit it , apparenttly shes a JOURNALIST you know lol
OY!

You taking the michael?
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:09 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bumping this up to get more feedback... need to know if it would be worthwhile. Maybe not, as theres not much response so far. Would like to hear some negative points if there are any!!
I can't see the ROI working on this with, purchase, storage, delivery, installation, pick up, return to inventory maintenance.

Can you show some breakeven figures on say a typical automatic washing machine. You would also need to understand the point of resistance where the renter will just say 'oh a new one is only x dollars more, and we own it'.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good point Florida...i shall bring that up at the meeting.

It wont start off as anything major. We cant run before we walk, but we intend to beg (not steal )and borrow to start with, and see where we go.
I have a large enough shed for storage to start with.

The service would not be there to serve people who want a new washing machine or whtever, it would be a very short term rental agreement until their stuff arrives from abroad.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:24 pm
Kiwified member

Couldn't you persuade a renatl pace to do short term ones for the group?

That way you would avoid all the hassle and licences and that sort of thing.

Or what you could do - getting a bit daring now - is chuck some dollars into the pot - buy a washing machine or two - rent them out for a nominal charge, pay yourselves back with the rental then amass some more cash to buy more if you need it.

Might need an obliging chap or chapess with a ute or something to transport and install tho'.

Hmmm might be trying to sprint and do hurdles before anyone can walk here.

Just an idea !!!
Attached Thumbnails Electrical appliances short term rental-pollflames.gif  
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

My soon to be landlady tells me that you can rent washing machines short term in Perth. I hope so because I really have a disproportionate hatred of launderettes.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollster
Couldn't you persuade a renatl pace to do short term ones for the group?

That way you would avoid all the hassle and licences and that sort of thing.

Or what you could do - getting a bit daring now - is chuck some dollars into the pot - buy a washing machine or two - rent them out for a nominal charge, pay yourselves back with the rental then amass some more cash to buy more if you need it.

Might need an obliging chap or chapess with a ute or something to transport and install tho'.

Hmmm might be trying to sprint and do hurdles before anyone can walk here.

Just an idea !!!
Its a good idea - hopefully people will look after the borrowed items but you will always get those who don't. I for one would be interested in such a scheme. You could also ask the settled expats to remember how it felt being brand new and donate old items whenever they bought something new.

It could quite easily grow as I know I would have preferred to have gone straight into an unfurnished place and borrow the bare necessities until my stuff arrived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.