Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electric plugs sockets and fuses

Electric plugs sockets and fuses

Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

smithg22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electric plugs sockets and fuses

I'm just considering all of our electrical goods for suitability for transferring to Oz, and would be grateful for any advice from those of you who are already there...
Are Oz plugs fused in the same way as UK ones - I gather there are different types of plugs/sockets for 10 and 15amp circuits? Are they just fused at the distribution board via circuit breakers or is each appliance fused individually? Should I be looking to bring loads of UK adaptors, wander-leads, and a bulk supply of fuses, or just accept the inevitable and cut off all UK plugs and replace them with Oz ones?

Thanks all,
Graham
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

The plugs aren't fused at all and are about half the size of a UK plug which can make re-wiring a squeeze.

Aussies don't seem to put as many power points in as UK homes so extension blocks (often with overload protection) are standard.

If I were you bring a load of UK extension blocks and a selection of fuses.

Obviously you can change the plugs (about $3 each) on most things but bringing the UK blocks can be more convenient and the only option were transformers are concerned.

Cheers

Nick
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs
The plugs aren't fused at all and are about half the size of a UK plug which can make re-wiring a squeeze.

Aussies don't seem to put as many power points in as UK homes so extension blocks (often with overload protection) are standard.

If I were you bring a load of UK extension blocks and a selection of fuses.

Obviously you can change the plugs (about $3 each) on most things but bringing the UK blocks can be more convenient and the only option were transformers are concerned.

Cheers

Nick

Following on from that, I'm in the process of packing a couple of chandeliers in the US (120v)

The bulbs are the little "candle" like ones - Edison screw with the screw-in part only about 1/2" across, not the full-size ones.

Can I get 240v bulbs with this fitting in Oz, do you know?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

That bulb is available here in England, should be in Australia too.

Our childrens night-lights use the same bulb.

Phil.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

On the subject,

How about the 2 point plugs used in Uk Bathrooms. I believe its a different voltage too? How can I go about changing this to use a Oz socket? Is my only solution 2 adapters, on to tranform it to a UK plug and voltage and then another to an Oz plug?

I want to bring my electric toothbrush you see!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by philj6969
That bulb is available here in England, should be in Australia too.

Our childrens night-lights use the same bulb.

Phil.
Thanks - set my mind at rest : having packed it up I didn't want to see it useless!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

This is sad, all I know about is light globes (not called bulbs here!)

Rog, Small ES fitting are available

Cornish, Bathrooms are fitted with normal plug sockets here. Always found that strange : you can use a hairdrier in the bathroom but you're not allowed to fit a new socket??? Anyways I use an Aussie 2pin to 3 pin converter. My stuff works fine so voltage should be OK.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:34 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>Cornish, Bathrooms are fitted with normal plug sockets here. Always found that strange : you can use a hairdrier in the bathroom but you're not allowed to fit a new socket??? Anyways I use an Aussie 2pin to 3 pin converter. My stuff works fine so voltage should be OK.<<

Weird in the US too, with their litigious society: you have electrical sockets REQUIRED above the sink!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

smithg22 is an unknown quantity at this point

...If I were you bring a load of UK extension blocks and a selection of fuses...
Thanks for that Nick - sounds like good advice.

Following on from Rog's query, do Oz light fittings follow the same patterns as UK ones - i.e. the two sizes of Edison Screw fittings, and the two sizes of 'bayonet' fittings, or is that another 'little' job I'll need to do on arrival - change the fittings in all our lamps?

Thnx, Graham.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by smithg22
Thanks for that Nick - sounds like good advice.

Following on from Rog's query, do Oz light fittings follow the same patterns as UK ones - i.e. the two sizes of Edison Screw fittings, and the two sizes of 'bayonet' fittings, or is that another 'little' job I'll need to do on arrival - change the fittings in all our lamps?

Thnx, Graham.
You get all the same light fittings, and bulb sizes here.

Its just the plugs that need changing.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:42 pm
Goodpubmisser

In Australia they use a Star configuration for the wiring. This means that each power point is wired in series to the source.

In England they use the Loop configuration which means that each socket is in parallel with the source.

What this means to the consumer is that each plug in England has a fuse so that if the eg electric fire blows then you only lose one fuse and not all the power points on the loop.

Putting in a star configuration when you build a house is more expensive than a loop configuration.

I ran my British pin Philips electric shaver for many years in Australia until I finally bought a new one. I used a British- to- Australian conversion plug that you can buy in most tourist shops in Australia.

I think the main reason why pins vary a bit from country to country is to help protect the electrical outlet manufacturing industry.

Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

This is sad, all I know about is light globes (not called bulbs here!)

Rog, Small ES fitting are available

Cornish, Bathrooms are fitted with normal plug sockets here. Always found that strange : you can use a hairdrier in the bathroom but you're not allowed to fit a new socket??? Anyways I use an Aussie 2pin to 3 pin converter. My stuff works fine so voltage should be OK.

Thanks Nibbs, could i just clear up my confusion. I have a 2 pin UK bathroom plug for my elec. toothbrush, Do I get a 2-pin to 3 pin uk plug converter and then a 3 pin uk to Oz 3 pin converter? Is there an easier way to do this than 2 converters?

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:57 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by CornishPasty
Thanks Nibbs, could i just clear up my confusion. I have a 2 pin UK bathroom plug for my elec. toothbrush, Do I get a 2-pin to 3 pin uk plug converter and then a 3 pin uk to Oz 3 pin converter? Is there an easier way to do this than 2 converters?

Thanks!
This'll solve all your worries:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M7323
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CornishPasty

Thanks!
Yep - get false teeth
Old Mar 4th 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, one final question, probably wrong, but I had the impression that the UK 2 pronged plug was not 230v like normal sockets and rather 110v?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.