Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrians already done arrival TRA and working

Electrians already done arrival TRA and working

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:13 am
Oxygen Pig

TRIMIX will become famous soon enoughTRIMIX will become famous soon enough
Cool Electrians already done arrival TRA and working

Hi have spoken today to the TRA for SA they have advised me to go for Electrical mechanic rather than electrical fitter what does the two mean and are there more trades than this. The guy said stress your installation side and there will be no problems. I know for pre migration we are classed only as general electricians.

Buts what the difference in the trades, and does it make any difference on the jobs front.

I have posed this question on Adelaide Brits but not had any sensible replies as yet.

Does anyone know as the guy from TRA did not know either. For all I know he could have been reading from a crib sheet.

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated as I will be in SA from the 1st December and the forms are being posted to me now in the U.K.

Thanks

Neil
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrians already done arrival TRA and working

Originally Posted by TRIMIX
Hi have spoken today to the TRA for SA they have advised me to go for Electrical mechanic rather than electrical fitter what does the two mean and are there more trades than this. The guy said stress your installation side and there will be no problems. I know for pre migration we are classed only as general electricians.

Buts what the difference in the trades, and does it make any difference on the jobs front.

I have posed this question on Adelaide Brits but not had any sensible replies as yet.

Does anyone know as the guy from TRA did not know either. For all I know he could have been reading from a crib sheet.

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated as I will be in SA from the 1st December and the forms are being posted to me now in the U.K.

Thanks

Neil

Hey Neil,

My hubby has just been issued his licence for South Australia, so all this info is quite new.

Electrical Fitter can't connect to the mains, but an Electrical Mechanic can. You definately don't want the fitters classification.

To gain your licence here in South Australia, you also need to attend a wiring rules course and pass the exam to get the "A class" licence. This can be done at either TAFE or a place called PEER training. TAFE hasn't got a course running until February though and the cost is around $250. This one takes 18 weeks (3 hours, one night per week)

PEER do them most of the time. I'll dig out the cost in a while and let you know what it was. This course is done over 3 and half weeks and is 2 days a week from 8am to 4pm (although they are really flexible). The guy will make sure you pass. Definately reccomend them.

Anything else you need to know ask away

Also check out this section of the site http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Last edited by Wendy; Nov 3rd 2006 at 8:26 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:24 pm
Oxygen Pig

Thanks Wendy I am already booked in at Peer Tec and know about the OCBA, is there any other trades apart from Mechanic (electrically) and is your hubby installations biased.

Thanks again

Neil
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:42 pm
Oxygen Pig

Ignore the above post Wendy just ready the link you gave me and it has answered all the questions for me.

thanks

neil
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRIMIX
Ignore the above post Wendy just ready the link you gave me and it has answered all the questions for me.

thanks

neil

Great