Reload this Page >

Electircal Equip

Electircal Equip

Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

gowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electircal Equip

Help,

What can and can't you use in New Zealand. I'm looking at bringing all leky equip eccept tv/video cause there nacked. Also can i use my current BT phone????

Cheers.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

UK phones will work fine in NZ, they even use the same connection at the wall socket to connect to the phone line. In OZ they use different sockets and so you have to get convertors to get the phones to work.

Forget TV and Videos as they use VHF and UHF in NZ and sound reciever is different. I brought an expensive Video from the UK and it didn't recieve on the VHF range and so I couldn't pick up one of the main channels. It did recieve on the UHF range ok but you couldn't hear it cos the sound was screwed.

I binned if eventually and bought a new one.

DVD players could cause a problem if they are UK region only as we are different region down here.

All other electrical goods should be fine once you change the power plug to the NZ standard
Old Mar 21st 2003, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
UK phones will work fine in NZ, they even use the same connection at the wall socket to connect to the phone line. In OZ they use different sockets and so you have to get convertors to get the phones to work.

Forget TV and Videos as they use VHF and UHF in NZ and sound reciever is different. I brought an expensive Video from the UK and it didn't recieve on the VHF range and so I couldn't pick up one of the main channels. It did recieve on the UHF range ok but you couldn't hear it cos the sound was screwed.

I binned if eventually and bought a new one.

DVD players could cause a problem if they are UK region only as we are different region down here.

All other electrical goods should be fine once you change the power plug to the NZ standard
The TV situation sounds crazy and very annoying, having bought a new widescreen TV last year. However, I guess it could be worth bringing your "old" TV and video if you have tapes recorded in the UK. Would the tapes play on NZ videos, through NZ TVs?
Old Mar 21st 2003, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Ross Davis is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a BT phone from the UK, but have been unable to find a convertor plug of the correct type.

Do you have any idea where a convertor from UK BT socket to a Australian phone socket (RJ45 or RJ10) can be purchased from??

Many thahks
Old Mar 24th 2003, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You cannot get the plug type converters here. I had a phone cable that plugged into the body of the phone, so I just unplugged it, binned it and bought a new cable that fitted the wall sockets here and plugged into the phone as the adapters on the phone itself are universally standard.

Videos I recorded in the UK played fine on my NZ Video and TV. I believe if you buy a NZ video connect it up to a UK TV, that should resolve the sound problem if you watch the TV through the NZ video recorder. Just what I've heard so no guarentee.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Videos I recorded in the UK played fine on my NZ Video and TV. I believe if you buy a NZ video connect it up to a UK TV, that should resolve the sound problem if you watch the TV through the NZ video recorder. Just what I've heard so no guarentee.
That sounds reasonable, Paul, especially if a SCART connection is used. Can anyone confirm that this works?

Tony