Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Elderly relatives flying over

Elderly relatives flying over

Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Elderly relatives flying over

Are any of you worried about your old relatives flying out on their own?
My Father-in-law has said he will visit but, I have no idea how he would manage to catch the correct flight or connection etc on his own. He gets lost driving from Heathrow Airport home!
How would he get to a hotel from the airport if he had a stopover - any ideas?
Have you had experience of your old relies flying out on their own??

TIna
Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Elderly relatives flying over

good question!
my biggest fear is that my dad won't be allowed to travel. he had a heart attack 2 years ago at 65 and my sister (whos likes to through a negative slant on most things i do) keeps informing me that people with heart problems are not advised/allowed to fly long distance, or that if he did go it could seriously damage his health!

obviously i don't want to be the reason he has another heart attack but does anyone have medical advice on this or other conditions which might hold our elders back from travelling. from a recent thread on mother-in-laws there will be some hoping this list is long!!

anyway i too would appreciate suggestions
Old Jan 18th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I didn't realise that heart conditions would pose problems. My father-in-law had a triple bypass 3 years ago and he has diabetes.
I really hope he can visit though as he is close to the children and he/they will miss each other.
Old Jan 18th 2003, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Hi

My hubby had a triple heart bypass in January 1999 and we went on holiday in January 2000 to Australia and he was still recovering really. It all depends on what your doctor advises. It actually did him the world of good spending 8 weeks in the sunshine and we are hoping to get back over there this year, fingers crossed. So I would just suggest that they enquire with their doctors first.

Hope this helps

Jan
Old Jan 18th 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We took my mother-in-law to Adelaide Dec 2001 she was 72, she has got high blood pressure, diabetes, she's over weight and on all kind's of tablets, her doc told her that when she was on the plane to move about and do some leg exercises. But for the whole flight (no stop over) she stayed in her chair (only getting up to use the loo).
She was fine.

Sue
Old Jan 18th 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My Granddad is 73 and is coming to visit us next week. When he booked his flight with Malysian airline he asked for their 'Meet and Assist' service. Basically they offer it to elderly people to make sure thay they get on the right plane! An assistant will get him off the plane and take him to the correct gate, stay with him and put him on the plane. They even deliver him to me at Perth airport! If they have walking difficulties they usually get a ride to the right gates on a cart thingy. They will also check him in at Manchester and then book him onto his connecting flight so he can go straight to the gate, no messing with baggage until he reaches Perth. Singapore Airline also offer the service.

Claire xx
Old Jan 18th 2003, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Claire sounds a fantastic service, just what I was hoping for. Do they charge extra for this and do you know if any other airlines do it?
Old Jan 19th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina

There is no charge for the service but you do have to request it. I know Singapore and Malysia offer the service but I haven't flown with anyone else so don't know. I'm sure the travel agents would know though.

Claire xx
Old Jan 19th 2003, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Excellent, that has cheered me up as they both fly to Brisbane.
I must tell my Sister-in-law, she has been trying to find a solution to this.
Thanks again