Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Effectiveness of job hunt while staying in your home country

Effectiveness of job hunt while staying in your home country

Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Dani_Zoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Effectiveness of job hunt while staying in your home country

Can anyone share his/her experience in regards to the job search in Australia after the visa grant while staying back in your home country?

It would be somewhat risky to let go your current job and travel to Oz as compared to searching the same job miles away.

A friend of mine in Oz got a job and he told me that only after a telephonic interview, the job letter was issued and for most of the jobs it happens to be the same, if you are in a distant location. If telephonic interview is all that one needs to get pass the company doors, it would be worth a shot if one does this while being in ones home country.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

oz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really nice
Default Re: Effectiveness of job hunt while staying in your home country

Originally Posted by Dani_Zoom
Can anyone share his/her experience in regards to the job search in Australia after the visa grant while staying back in your home country?

It would be somewhat risky to let go your current job and travel to Oz as compared to searching the same job miles away.

A friend of mine in Oz got a job and he told me that only after a telephonic interview, the job letter was issued and for most of the jobs it happens to be the same, if you are in a distant location. If telephonic interview is all that one needs to get pass the company doors, it would be worth a shot if one does this while being in ones home country.
Its not impossible to get a job from overseas, depends on the actual demand for your profile in the market. It will however be definitely more difficult than being present in oz. 9 in 10 employers will ignore you, but you still have that 1/10 chance. Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

I'm in the same boat since we got our PR.
I'm about to finish a masters degree in the UK and applying in both London and Sydney. For some reason in Sydney they seem to be more interested, but they have reached me asking to contact them as soon as I arrive.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

Not effective at all. Take the plunge.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ineffective. Some do, vast majority don't. Yes it's foolhardy to drop a job and a life on the offchance that you may get a job on the other side of the world but the majority of us on the Aus boards did just that and lived to tell the tale.

Employers have a large amount of prospective employees here on the ground, why would they ignore them (in effect) and take on someone who's not even in the country, let alone in the city concerned? Some do though, just not many.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Waiting Room will become famous soon enoughWaiting Room will become famous soon enough

I haven't done this, but you could get an Australian Skype number. Put that on your resume with no address and leave your PC turned on in case there is a Skype call.. you can tell them you are in the UK when they call but say you have a PR visa and can be in the country in (ie) 3 weeks.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I know a number of people who recently have secured jobs from the UK before arriving in Oz. This is in engineering fields which has a real skills and experience shortage in Oz. Throw your CV at as many companies as you can, if you are good and your skills and experience are in demand, they will bite. The job market is good in Oz at the moment.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

nixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nice

The skype idea seems good! It is VERY hard to find an employer who will even get back to you if you arn't in Australia at the time of your application. I am still in Belfast but am moving to Sydney at the end of the month. I have heard back from some employers but the word on the street is that you actually have to be in the country!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:50 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

From the employers point of view: I have had nearly 20 cv's dropped on my desk in the last 4 weeks for 1 position, Some were easy to filter out, missing skills, not enough experience etc, but I was left with 7 possibles. 2 of them were off shore so were the next to go in the bin...

If they were the only 2 with the skills then they might have got a call, but when there are bodies on the ground that can come in and meet me face to face and start soon, why should I consider the other 2? There is a big risk the offshore applicants might not turn up in the country anyway.

I think you are only likely to get a chance if you have niche skills.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Cant be anymore difficult than looking for a job when you are here!! OK its not that bad but stick to the Cities.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

One option might be to take a holiday, job hunt with a vengeance and make it clear you are in a position to pack up and move out within a month. We pretty much did this on our validation trip and so both had jobs to go to when we moved out.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Best advice I can give is to use a recruitment agency. Ideally one with offices in UK and Australia.

However, if you aren't an 'in-demand' position over here, then it will still be difficult.

I get about 50 CV's a day for people wanting to move to Perth and I work in a very niche part of the Oil & Gas Engineering sector. Of those 50, perhaps 1-2 a day will be of the calibre the companies here want...

Feel free to PM me and I'll put you in touch with the right people at Hays, otherwise you can always try your local Manpower, Adecco, Randstad or Michael Page as they all have a presence here and in the UK.

Best of luck
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

i have just been contacted ( they rang me out of the blue) and want to interview me by phone next week.

I hadnt been actually looking to hard but they had got a hold of my cv.
Now it may still come to nothing..so we will see

i'm in the environmental sector.. which i gather is short on people at the moment.

So if i get the job.. then its definitely possible
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dani_Zoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeepSix
i have just been contacted ( they rang me out of the blue) and want to interview me by phone next week.

I hadnt been actually looking to hard but they had got a hold of my cv.
Now it may still come to nothing..so we will see

i'm in the environmental sector.. which i gather is short on people at the moment.

So if i get the job.. then its definitely possible
Good Luck with that and post us an update once accepted. This will boost our confidence ;-)
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

If i get it.. it going to boos my confidence no end as well..

just got to see how it pans out..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.