Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Effective Non-Prescription sleeping tablets?!

Effective Non-Prescription sleeping tablets?!

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Effective Non-Prescription sleeping tablets?!

Just curious, are there any decent 'non-prescription' sleeping tablets here in Australia. I'm asking for a mate who doesn't post on here and I suggested I start this thread as you lot are always a wealth of information. I just feel so bad for her, it takes her ages to get over to sleep when as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out cold, let's hope it stays that way eh!

Thanks BE'ers! xo
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effective Non-Prescription sleeping tablets?!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Just curious, are there any decent 'non-prescription' sleeping tablets here in Australia. I'm asking for a mate who doesn't post on here and I suggested I start this thread as you lot are always a wealth of information. I just feel so bad for her, it takes her ages to get over to sleep when as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out cold, let's hope it stays that way eh!

Thanks BE'ers! xo
Do you get tylenol PM..or advil pm over there.? they are both pretty effective, as they contain Benadryl that helps you doze off..
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni

Thanks BE'ers! xo
Hey Jen

Im exactly the same as your friend unfortunately.... Recently I bought a tablet called DOZILE capsules... they are in a purplely pink box... They didnt particularly help me get over quicker but I did sleep all night.... Or tell her to take 2 mersyndol tablets before bed... I would take these if I have a really bad migraine and I sleep all night....
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Dolosed, also known as Mersyndol night version. Some chemists also produce their own brand but they are often difficult to split in half. It has a muscle relaxant in it. You only need half, or one, and it gives me a good night's sleep. I take it as I suffer from an old whiplash injury and get a muscle knots in my neck if I don't use it, which then means I wake up about 3am from the discomfort, but the muscle relaxant definitely sets you up to sleep well. Some people do say it's addictive but when I've read those reports we are talking about people who take them by the handful, but better to be aware of the risks first.
Also bear in mind that when you go to sleep your digestive system shuts down, so if you haven't completely digested the tablet then your body will start processing it again in the morning and you will feel groggy. Not good for driving etc. this can be avided by taking the tablet an hour before going to bed.
I've tried the herbal types but never found anything that worked.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:51 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks folks, that's great info so far. I once, a few Christmas' ago, suffered from a few nights 'insomnia' due to a really bad chest infection, it was the most debilitating thing I have EVER experienced so I feel really bad for my mate and just want to be able to help her!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I tried Mersyndol some years ago for migraine and found them to be really heavy-duty, knock-out pills. I didn't like how they made me feel, so only had them a few times. I wouldn't think them a good idea for regular use.

There are various herbal remedies available, such as Valerian, and Bach also do a sleep spray. There are all sorts of other things to try, such as yoga, or making a new night-time routine, changing the bedroom setup or furnishings, etc. Lots of info on the web, eg http://www.abc.net.au/health/library...21/2797098.htm
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:08 am
ABCDiamond

I have found that Polaramine 2mg anti histamine Tablets work wonders for sleeping, and for the hayfever that they are designed for.

I often use them when I get bitten by stinging ants or mozzies, as I am allergic to those things. Took one at 6pm last night, asleep by 8pm, woke at 7am.

They are a Pharmacist Only Medicine, so you just need a chat with the Chemist.

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I have found that Polaramine 2mg anti histamine Tablets work wonders for sleeping, and for the hayfever that they are designed for.

I often use them when I get bitten by stinging ants or mozzies, as I am allergic to those things. Took one at 6pm last night, asleep by 8pm, woke at 7am.

They are a Pharmacist Only Medicine, so you just need a chat with the Chemist.
We keep Polarmine syrup for the kids for bee stings or any other nasty reactions to insect bites. It is available over the counter. There are other hay fever medications available OTC.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:18 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

That'd probably be a good starting point as she already suffers from Hayfever like symptons and takes non-drowsy versions of those medications. Will let her know!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

As with most things, she'd be better off trying to find the cause of the problem rather than treating the symptoms.

I am a permanent insomniac but it's worse when I'm stressed (no-brainer, that one, but I have adrenal fatigue which obviously gets worse) and also if my hormones are out of whack, or my thyroid is playing up.

Magnesium is a good muscle relaxant that can help ease you into sleep.

This is my theme tune (and what a fine tune it is, too):

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HelenTD
We keep Polarmine syrup for the kids for bee stings or any other nasty reactions to insect bites. It is available over the counter. There are other hay fever medications available OTC.
Most of the other hay fever medications we have used are non drowsy, so only good for their original intention.

My daughter had a bad flu type illness recently, and I switched her from Telfast to the Polarmine at night time. She had a few excellent nights sleep, and never knew why

Hmm that's a thought, she's been having some very late nights recently... maybe time for Polarmine again

Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

NB Be aware of the potential effects of magnesium on the heart muscle.

Malatonin works for us some of the time, particularly with jet-lag. I don't know if it's available OTC in Oz though.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
NB Be aware of the potential effects of magnesium on the heart muscle.

Malatonin works for us some of the time, particularly with jet-lag. I don't know if it's available OTC in Oz though.
It's not, but I brought a shit-load back with me from Canada. I'm an insomniac and find that after a week or so of taking melatonin regularly (every night) I get a much better quality of sleep.

Jen, your friend can ask her GP for a presciption for melatonin or better yet, for a referral to a sleep clinic to find out why she's unable to sleep. It may be that her problem is something easily remediable without using chemicals.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I've used valerian capsules which were moderately effective. The only reason I joined the gym was so that I could fall into a deep sleep at night and it really really works. Other times I use Painstop ( a tad unorthodox ) but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a homeopathic version of melatonin available:
http://www.bioglan.com.au/vitamin.asp?productID=70

Another article about its use in insomnia:
http://www.nps.org.au/health_profess...2010/melatonin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.