Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

eek! camping up north! scared!

eek! camping up north! scared!

Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default eek! camping up north! scared!

Aw, hubbie asked if we can go camping up by Dantree in the new year. I don't like camping, give me a hotel room anyday.

The thought of all those creepy crawlies and things is really starting to bother me. O.K so we live in Cairns but I am in a house, with screens and a very good can of Mortein spray! :scared:

Is camping here really as bad as I imagine or am I being a bit of a drama queen?

Mandy
Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:24 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: eek! camping up north! scared!

Originally Posted by scrawni
Aw, hubbie asked if we can go camping up by Dantree in the new year. I don't like camping, give me a hotel room anyday.

The thought of all those creepy crawlies and things is really starting to bother me. O.K so we live in Cairns but I am in a house, with screens and a very good can of Mortein spray! :scared:

Is camping here really as bad as I imagine or am I being a bit of a drama queen?

Mandy

You are not alone as I have refused to camp too!! But saying that our relatives go with 2 small kids and the only drama they have experienced is being chased by a wombat!!

Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:28 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

The thought of all those creepy crawlies and things is really starting to bother me. O.K so we live in Cairns but I am in a house, with screens and a very good can of Mortein spray!

Mandy

I've camped down here (Brisbane) quite a lot, never seen more than the normal bugs.... however (and don't read this if you're looking for reassurance ) I did camp at Ayres Rock/Kings Canyon; ended up with a scorpion under my swag, several big ugly spiders crawling over us, and a tiger snake on my leg We were in swags though, a few people slept in tents and they had no worries at all
Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:29 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends.
Mozzies and leaches are certainly going to be a problem.
Wear closed shoes, leaches between toes is not nice....

I guess don't camp near still water, or any water for that matter, CROCODILES!!!!!

Have fun!
You'll be right
Old Dec 15th 2004, 6:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I've camped down here (Brisbane) quite a lot, never seen more than the normal bugs.... however (and don't read this if you're looking for reassurance ) I did camp at Ayres Rock/Kings Canyon; ended up with a scorpion under my swag, several big ugly spiders crawling over us, and a tiger snake on my leg We were in swags though, a few people slept in tents and they had no worries at all
Remind me never to take a trip with you outside th city limits :scared:
Old Dec 15th 2004, 7:53 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
You are not alone as I have refused to camp too!! But saying that our relatives go with 2 small kids and the only drama they have experienced is being chased by a wombat!!
l hope l gave them a fright.
Regards Wombat42.

Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to be doing the same in the new year ( when our tent arrives - longggg story) and are looking forward to it.

Make sure you take plenty of 'anti venom' :scared: and a good hefty mallet to bash the crocs over the head ( if you're camping near water!!!).

Will discuss this further with you on friday!!!! A beer or two between us and we'll be raring to go!!!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:13 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Try PK's jungle village (just north of Daintree), i was there a few years back - it is a sort of cross between camping and a hotel - i mean you stay in huts - but you are in the out doors. plus it was a cracking laugh, then again i wasonly 25 then and willing to rough it a little more than i am now !
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Leigh, what time tomorrow?

Mandy
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Am resurrecting the old thread - see you there in a minute!!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We love camping here in WA. Have been to a few places here north and south and never had any major problems. The only thing that freaked me one night was the shadow and sound of munching by the side of the tent one night. Sent hubby out to inspec, to find it was just a Roo Well it looked quite scary through canvas you know
We are off on boxing day up north to Denham, so will be spending one night in a tent en route, and the rest in a cottage, thought we would treat ourselfs this year. Go for it, its a great experience and lots of fun.
Joanne
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mmmm, not sure if i feel reassured by some of these posts or not, especially the one from mlbonner.

Anyhow, I will give it a go, but my tent is going to be the master of all tents and will be protected from anything that moves!
:scared:

Hubbie has even said that i can sleep in the car if i want. He just wants the tent to himself!

Mandy
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
It's great fun...give it a try and I bet you'll love it. I have camped in the NT & FNQ and it was brilliant. The worst bits have to be some of the toilet facilities that I've had to use, rather than the tent itself. One place I camped in Mary River, the showers were in the end of a cow shed. (Then there were the sandpit toilets.....) Yuk! My husband had this anoying habit of getting up at 5.30 every day to wipe the bat crap off the side of the tent before it stained. Men..

As well as the advice given by others, make sure you do not leave any traces of food in or around your tent - the monitors will sniff it out in no-time and with their claws, they can easily get through the side of a tent! Ditto for the dingoes - they'll run off with your shoes too!

Have a fab time, would love to read about your trip afterwards
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Have a fab time, would love to read about your trip afterwards
Yeah right, as if she's going after that post!
lol
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Yeah right, as if she's going after that post!
lol
oops! I thought I was trying to be encouraging! (Sorry Scrawni!!)

At least I never got cockroaches while camping, unlike some Aussie motels I've stayed in! Give me a frog in the cow shed over a cockroach in the bathroom any day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.