Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Education Uk v Oz

Education Uk v Oz

Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education Uk v Oz

If you look at the VCE scores you will see that very few independent schools are at the top, and usually they are the ones near the CBD. When I looked at the public vs. private schools in the eastern suburbs I found they were scoring similar. Plus, the public schools had their own playing field on-site - a luxury to me because I got used to getting the bus when I were a lad. In my mind, I couldn't fathom paying the $20k, but that's me.

Some people go to private school for connections. These sort of connections? Ties that bind prove a private education has its awards. I think the old boys' club does exist but in the sort of school where money begets money: the established private school near the CBD that is very expensive. Connections involves keeping in-touch, maintaining the alumni. Does the school have an active old boys' club, e.g., Home If not, what connections are you buying?

My daughter mentioned that when she was out with work colleagues they got around to talking about which school they went to. She told me that some were amazed that she went to a public school. Didn't stop her getting into Melbourne. I think it's the uni that you went to that is far more important.

The key thing to remember is that we are lucky to have a choice between a good public or a good private school.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
If you look at the VCE scores you will see that very few independent schools are at the top, and usually they are the ones near the CBD. When I looked at the public vs. private schools in the eastern suburbs I found they were scoring similar. Plus, the public schools had their own playing field on-site - a luxury to me because I got used to getting the bus when I were a lad. In my mind, I couldn't fathom paying the $20k, but that's me.

Some people go to private school for connections. These sort of connections? Ties that bind prove a private education has its awards. I think the old boys' club does exist but in the sort of school where money begets money: the established private school near the CBD that is very expensive. Connections involves keeping in-touch, maintaining the alumni. Does the school have an active old boys' club, e.g., Home If not, what connections are you buying?

My daughter mentioned that when she was out with work colleagues they got around to talking about which school they went to. She told me that some were amazed that she went to a public school. Didn't stop her getting into Melbourne. I think it's the uni that you went to that is far more important.

The key thing to remember is that we are lucky to have a choice between a good public or a good private school.
Yep, I agree.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
But there's private schools and there's private schools. Good connections might come from some of those that charge $30K (or whatever) per annum. But then there's the Catholic private schools (and others of their ilk), that charge nothing of the sort. They don't have the same sort of connections and there's no real difference between those and public schools. (IMHO obviously.)
Yes this gels with my experience locally.

My local state school near the city has a higher ICSEA rating than many/most private/catholic/christian schools in the suburbs.

I went to a mid tier private school and no-one at my work cares (rightly so). It is achievement based. It also offered me far less facilities/extra curricular activities than the local state school currently does. It has an amazing array of options and life experiences (travel, dance, music, sport, social, societal, elite programmes etc) without the down sides of snobbery, religion and single sex.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 16th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
On the other hand, not long before I left, the Group CFO of my employer revealed in a staff town hall that he went to state school. Wouldn't get a reaction in the UK, in fact you wouldn't even mention it, but it was something that drew audible gasps of disbelief in Australia! Most of the audience were amazed that it were possible to reach these dizzy heights with a state education.
While not doubting your experience this does not match what I have noticed. Many in senior positions in all facets of life had public schooling and it is not seen as that unusual from my experience.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allymac29
Any good advice on how different the Oz system is pls
Basically all you need to know is that both countries have excellent education systems and the end product is roughly the same

Saying that, I'm glad that my son is being educated here and not in the UK

Hope this helps
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

8 of the top 10 high schools in NSW are State schools.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
8 of the top 10 high schools in NSW are State schools.
And every single one of those 8 are selective schools.
So they're not exactly populated by your average Australian High School student.

In 2015, the first non-selective state high school comes in at number 49, I believe. All the higher ranked schools are either selective state schools or private schools.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a question I ever really understand. If you're here you won't use UK education and if you're in the UK you won't use Aus education. You don't decide on whether to live in a country because of the schools. Generally speaking.

However as it's not the question the OP asked it doesn't really matter.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:27 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's not a question I ever really understand. If you're here you won't use UK education and if you're in the UK you won't use Aus education. You don't decide on whether to live in a country because of the schools. Generally speaking.

However as it's not the question the OP asked it doesn't really matter.
I feel the same way when threads about costs of doctors visits and prescriptions pop up. Do people really decide whether to move based on the costs of doctors visits? I'll join you in the corner I guess...
Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Perth the only people that ever ask me which school my children attend are fellow Brits. When I told a group of brits at a function that I had taken my eldest out of an OK private school to send her to one of the worst schools in my area you could hear the tumbleweed for miles!!
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
So they're not exactly populated by your average Australian High School student.

In 2015, the first non-selective state high school comes in at number 49, I believe. All the higher ranked schools are either selective state schools or private schools.
Surely being in the catchment takes precedence...as in Victoria ?

university high a state school in Parkville Melbourne is rated 8th in Australia on female education.....catchment comes first in all Victorian schools afaik...as for business look up uni highs alumni.

The only state school in melbourne that i know of as selective is victoria college of the arts.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 19th 2016 at 7:13 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC

It would also be good to see the standard deviation on those results. If you are bright you are going to get the marks no matter where you are. But if you are average like the majority of people you are looking for that little bit extra, that may help nudge past the rest.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

At the weekend I spent some time with some of the guys I went to Aussie public school with. Top guys and very good old mates. 2 of them are plumbers and I was chatting to them about plumbing and who they work for and what their aspirations were. We got on to the topic of owning your own business and neither were interested in following that path and thought it was such a foreign idea. We also talked about the idea of doing an overseas holiday ..... again a very foreign idea .... one said he didn't even have a passport.

There are a few guys who I went to private school with who weren't the brightest sparks and ended up being tradesmen. All of them now run their own plumbing and electrical businesses, and are my regular ski buddies in Europe and the US.

Of course this scenario doesn't apply to all, but as someone who attended both, whilst private school education may not assist the brightest, it does give the average population a little bit extra beyond an education.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Here in Perth the only people that ever ask me which school my children attend are fellow Brits. When I told a group of brits at a function that I had taken my eldest out of an OK private school to send her to one of the worst schools in my area you could hear the tumbleweed for miles!!
Same with my kids. People on here like to slag off the school they went to but I can say that my daughter got an excellent education. (Son of course not so much but it would not have mattered where he went to school)
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Surely being in the catchment takes precedence...as in Victoria ?
No, not in NSW. Only prerequisite is you need to pass the entrance exams. The ordinary high schools have catchments for the non-selective students.

There are a few dual selective/non-selective schools. These are schools which have two streams; the selective stream and the normal stream.

All the Sydney selective schools are very popular with Asian parents who tend to look only at the final year exam results when choosing a school. They support a huge industry of coaching colleges which exist only to get primary school kids into these selective schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.