Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Education UK/Aus/Canada - Transition

Education UK/Aus/Canada - Transition

Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:27 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education UK/Aus/Canada - Transition

My daughter is in final year for GCSE's, expecting her to do well...

We have a job offer to go to Australia in the summer on a 457 visa, great opportunity to see more of this fantastic world, in the background our PR for Canada is bumping along slowly, begining to think that it will not come through until after Jul/Aug 12, so unless I get TWP for canada, K11 &12 education in canada will not happen. Wondering if A level equiv in Aus will travel to canada and secure Uni place? Is International Bacculaureate readily available in Aus and is it readily accepted in Canada for uni places.

Quite concerned that I might mess my daughters education up. Looking for solutions, not opinions...thank you.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education UK/Aus/Canada - Transition

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Looking for solutions, not opinions.

Okay.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for solutions, not opinions...thank you.
As someone who has raised and educated kids in both Australia and Canada IMO her A levels means jack. Neither country cares about them and I think you would be hard pressed to find a Canadian school that knows what it is. My neice who's been a senior high school physics and chemistry teacher for 14 years had no idea what an A level was when I asked her and neither had a friend who has worked nearly 20 years in a high school in my home town.

Solution? Don't mess with your kid's education by moving her to 3 different systems during her last years of high school. That's an opinion, and if you don't like it then perhaps you should find another way besides open internet fora for your information needs.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As someone who has raised and educated kids in both Australia and Canada IMO her A levels means jack. Neither country cares about them and I think you would be hard pressed to find a Canadian school that knows what it is. My neice who's been a senior high school physics and chemistry teacher for 14 years had no idea what an A level was when I asked her and neither had a friend who has worked nearly 20 years in a high school in my home town.

Solution? Don't mess with your kid's education by moving her to 3 different systems during her last years of high school. That's an opinion, and if you don't like it then perhaps you should find another way besides open internet fora for your information needs.
Thanks for replying, she won't be taking A Levels in the Uk because we will be in Aus or Canada, so your information is pretty irrelevant. What is the Aus equivalent of A levels and are they recognised in canada? I now know 5 schools in WA do IB, it seems quite limited really.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying, she won't be taking A Levels in the Uk because we will be in Aus or Canada, so your information is pretty irrelevant. What is the Aus equivalent of A levels and are they recognised in canada? I now know 5 schools in WA do IB, it seems quite limited really.
You have a real way with words. So.......On that note and since my information is irrelevant, I'll be unsubscribing and putting you on ignore.

You're welcome.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness you really are so rude. If the assistance people give to you on this site is not enough - why not CALL a Canadian University and ask them this question.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

You've been able to find out that 5 schools in WA offer IB, can you tell us which ones (just to confirm what I found on searching the internet)?
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Goodness you really are so rude. If the assistance people give to you on this site is not enough - why not CALL a Canadian University and ask them this question.
I may do that, but, no point having a rambling rant about something that is irrelevant, that is my point and I tried to get it back on track. Cheers.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You've been able to find out that 5 schools in WA offer IB, can you tell us which ones (just to confirm what I found on searching the internet)?
Treetops Darlington, Montessori Landsdale, The Intl Sch of WA City Beach, PLC, Perth, Scotch college Swanbourne. Pleased to help.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you only need one school running the IB. The choice of 5 seems quite good. However I count 6. I see there's only one in York.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Presumably you only need one school running the IB. The choice of 5 seems quite good. However I count 6. I see there's only one in York.
WA is quite big, York quite small, it needs to be close enough to where we are going to live. I do not see any outside of the outskirts of Perth. My kids currently go to the school in York, does not seem to be one near Rockingham.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Treetops Darlington, Montessori Landsdale, The Intl Sch of WA City Beach, PLC, Perth, Scotch college Swanbourne. Pleased to help.
Treetops Darlington - somewhere on their website it said that only 2 students have done/are doing it at Diploma level and that the low numbers enrolled meant that there was not a full choice of subjects. This school is in the area to the east of Perth, known as the Hills. You would have to check directly with the school about the number of kids enrolled and the school's success with IB - http://www.treetops.wa.edu.au/ib.htm.

Montessori Landsdale - their IB programme seems more established, but again you would have to check directly with them - http://www.themontessorischool.wa.edu.au/IB.htm.

The International School of WA - I have heard other parents move their kids from this school as there were so few enrolments at middle-high level for high school, so not many kids to make friends with, and again you would have to check the number of enrolments and gender. http://www.iswa.wa.edu.au/ib_diploma...oma_in_detail/ - another IB link on their website IB Diploma Subjects at ISWA says "Other subjects are available to be taken online and are supervised by ISWA staff." and "Subjects offered may vary from year to year, depending on student demand and teacher availability."

PLC (Presbyterian Ladies College) - would be your best bet quality-wise, you would have to check on how long they've been running IB and whether any girls have completed the Diploma - http://www.plc.wa.edu.au/contact.asp...iploma&flag=10

Scotch College - only if your daughter has a gender re-assignment.

Watch out for hefty fees (about $20k/yr at PLC) + possible waiting list to get into the schools. If it was me and I had the money, I'd go for PLC.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Treetops Darlington - somewhere on their website it said that only 2 students have done/are doing it at Diploma level and that the low numbers enrolled meant that there was not a full choice of subjects. This school is in the area to the east of Perth, known as the Hills. You would have to check directly with the school about the number of kids enrolled and the school's success with IB - http://www.treetops.wa.edu.au/ib.htm.

Montessori Landsdale - their IB programme seems more established, but again you would have to check directly with them - http://www.themontessorischool.wa.edu.au/IB.htm.

The International School of WA - I have heard other parents move their kids from this school as there were so few enrolments at middle-high level for high school, so not many kids to make friends with, and again you would have to check the number of enrolments and gender. http://www.iswa.wa.edu.au/ib_diploma...oma_in_detail/ - another IB link on their website IB Diploma Subjects at ISWA says "Other subjects are available to be taken online and are supervised by ISWA staff." and "Subjects offered may vary from year to year, depending on student demand and teacher availability."

PLC (Presbyterian Ladies College) - would be your best bet quality-wise, you would have to check on how long they've been running IB and whether any girls have completed the Diploma - http://www.plc.wa.edu.au/contact.asp...iploma&flag=10

Scotch College - only if your daughter has a gender re-assignment.

Watch out for hefty fees (about $20k/yr at PLC) + possible waiting list to get into the schools. If it was me and I had the money, I'd go for PLC.
Brilliant, you are a credit... Thanks for the inside info, now I need to find out how much it will cost me to rent in the area. I very much appreciate your assistance and time on this matter. Best regards. I suppose I should ask for this thread to be closed before it turns into a "this is how much it will cost to rent there" thread.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brilliant, you are a credit... Thanks for the inside info, now I need to find out how much it will cost me to rent in the area. I very much appreciate your assistance and time on this matter. Best regards. I suppose I should ask for this thread to be closed before it turns into a "this is how much it will cost to rent there" thread.
You could live anywhere to go to these schools, as they will not have catchments - it depends on how your daughter will get to school if she has to travel by public transport, or school bus. There is a service that runs down the coast, think it starts from Karrinyup, that serves the private schools, don't know if it runs to PLC.

You can't really look at where to live until you sort out which school she can get into and get the quality she will need - no point getting her into Treetops Darlington or ISWA if their programme is no good.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 3:58 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You have a real way with words. So.......On that note and since my information is irrelevant, I'll be unsubscribing and putting you on ignore.

You're welcome.
He/she is a real peach isn't she/he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.