Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education tax refund?

education tax refund?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default education tax refund?

Hello,

I forgot about the education tax refund for 2010.
Think the deadline says October 31 2010.

Have I missed it, or can I still do it via an accountant/tax return agent?
e.g for a normal tax return (salary) if you use and accountant you can do it until May.

Kicking myself if Ive missed it, as bought a couple of computers last year.

Thanks
Gems
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:45 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education tax refund?

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

e.g for a normal tax return (salary) if you use and accountant you can do it until May.

Thanks
Gems
If you've not done your tax return then you can still get it included.

If you have done your tax return you can just redo the calculations and submit the changes (differences) to the ATO. You normally just write a list of the tax return item numbers that are changed and their new values.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I dont work, so dont do a tax return.
Hubby does one.

But the education refund has to be in my name as I get FamilyBenefit A.

Gems
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Relax! You haven't "missed it"!
Two scenarios:

1. You have already lodged your tax return for the year ended 30 June 2010. In that case you need to lodge an Amendment. You can do this electronically, or download the paper form from www.ato.gov.au, or do it through a registered tax agent. The section of the original tax return that you'll be "amending" is the section of the Education Tax Refund - previously $zero and now you'll be putting some numbers in there ...

2. You have not yet lodged your tax return for the year ended 30 June 2010. In that case you go off and lodge your tax return and claim the ETR through the tax return. You can do this electronically, or download the paper form from www.ato.gov.au, or do it through a registered tax agent.

Couple of other points to consider:

(a) You need to be the recipient of FTB Part A for the child in question (or the child in question is getting youth allowance, or disability support pension, or ABSTUDY living allowance - there are a couple more exotic allowances but they probably would not apply to your situation).

(b) The child needs to have been in full-time primary or secondary school education. Doing seconday school education at TAFE is fine, but doing any other kind of study at TAFE or uni means the expense does not qualify for the ETR.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont work, so dont do a tax return.
Hubby does one.

You can do a standalone lodgement just for the Education Tax Refund (if you do it through a tax agent).

If you do it yourself: You complete the full tax return form for the year ended 30 June 2010. All boxes are $zero except the tax offset section for the Education Tax Refund.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks,

Now understand will sort it out this week.

Gems
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:41 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Gems
I'm not sure that is true. I think as long as you share the care of the child then either of you can claim it.

However it is probably easiest to submit your own tax return. I wouldn't bother with an agent. I lodged a personal return at the end of May (because the tax agent was fugging up) and all I got was a letter saying naughty boy don't do it again. They owed me money.

Last edited by Rambi; Mar 13th 2011 at 4:46 am.