Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education aus v uk

education aus v uk

Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education aus v uk

hi wondering what people think of the education system in aus compared with the british education system. from juniors up to college
many thanks in advance
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education aus v uk

Originally Posted by railman2404
hi wondering what people think of the education system in aus compared with the british education system. from juniors up to college
many thanks in advance
I'm a product of both. Both are fine in my books.....if you choose the right location/suburb etc and culture for your child.

I don't believe that there is a difference between the countries per se.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm a product of both. Both are fine in my books.....if you choose the right location/suburb etc and culture for your child.

I don't believe that there is a difference between the countries per se.
Agree. It all comes out the same at the end.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

From my children's perspective there is no difference but from what I can gather from others on here, it definitely depends on where you are - much the same as the UK. Unless you're move over is dependent on education, any differences you may find are immaterial as it's not as if you can choose between the two. That's a you general not particular.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

WA's education system with regard to what is currently mandated to be taught (and how it is assessed) at primary level and what was planned to be taught at Y11 and Y12, is appalling.

I'm probably a well-known campaigner aganist WA education on this site but having said that, I am very pleased with how my children are turning out in terms of their characters and self-confidence. I think the school does a brilliant job in developing self-confidence and whole-person aspects of children.

Unfortunately this does not excuse the inconsistencies between schools - especially in terms of academic issues - and the complete lack of teacher accountability - especially at primary level - and the absolutely dreadful, unprofessional way in which the Department for Education in WA operates.

I don't believe that because the wider aspects of child development is good, that this means we forego other aspects of education which, through bad curriculum planning and assessment, happens in WA.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Unfortunately this does not excuse the inconsistencies between schools - especially in terms of academic issues - and the complete lack of teacher accountability - especially at primary level -
3 kids, 6 years, covered pre, primary, high, private and state couldnt agree more, qld currently, cant say victoria was much better.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:30 am
Just Joined

motlyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Here in Adelaide i think its fine albeit similar to the UK.
The main benifit i think is that they are laid back and children can be children and not constantly pressurised as in UK to meet targets etc.

Colin
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:37 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it all depends really if your kids only ever know the aussie system it would be fine i think its harder for kids that come from Uk schools to Australian one and find they have done a lot of the work already it must be boring for them.

My daughter is in Kindy here and is doing great its really good for her the school is a nice little community school not overrun with kids like a lot of them are.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

thanks all who replied
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Vidal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kez81
i think its harder for kids that come from Uk schools to Australian one and find they have done a lot of the work already it must be boring for them.
I agree. My kids (teens) were doing very well in the UK with plans for Uni etc

16 months in a state school in Queensland and my eldest who is currently in year 11 is ready to leave school without a qualification to her name :curse:

Complete U turn since coming down under
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

what age do they leave schooling in aus
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by railman2404
what age do they leave schooling in aus
It's different for different states/territories.

Vic - allowed to leave at 14yrs, 9 mths.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

My eldest started high school here in Sydney a few weeks ago and for him I think the system here will suit him better. He has gone from being the youngest in year 9 to being one of the eldest in year 8. I was really panicking about the idea of him starting GCSEs next year in the UK then being "on his own" after that as his school didn't have a 6th form college, here he will have 6 months to settle in before he starts his School Cert, then he will stay in the same place for his Higher School Cert, so 4 1/2 more years before he finishes. I also loved the fact that, when choosing subjects for next year the kids were actively discouraged from choosing things with careers in mind - they were encouraged to choose subjects they found interesting (bearing in mind the core stuff is compulsory anyway). If they really regret dropping something they can pick it up again in year 11.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It's different for different states/territories.

Vic - allowed to leave at 14yrs, 9 mths.
Since 2006 the minimum leaving age in Vic is now 16.

Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Since 2006 the minimum leaving age in Vic is now 16.

Aha - thanks A much better age IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.