British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Education on 457 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/education-457-a-754750/)

Mummy3 Apr 13th 2012 8:28 am

Education on 457

OH read this today in Australia magazine:

"If your employer is prepared to wait you can apply for the permenant visa before you arrive in Australia, which means you can enjoy all the benefits that Australian residents have, such as government subsidised medical care and government education for your dependant children"

Its this last statement in bold that worries us, will we struggle with schools in Melbourne? I hadnt read on any enrolement policy about 457 children refused entry. Can anyone clarfiy any of this? any experiences?

NickyC Apr 13th 2012 10:13 am

Re: Education on 457

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10003501)

"If your employer is prepared to wait you can apply for the permenant visa before you arrive in Australia, which means you can enjoy all the benefits that Australian residents have, such as government subsidised medical care and government education for your dependant children"

Its this last statement in bold that worries us, will we struggle with schools in Melbourne? I hadnt read on any enrolement policy about 457 children refused entry. Can anyone clarfiy any of this? any experiences?

It's probably referring to the fees that 457 holders have to pay for their children to go state schools in NSW and the ACT. State schools are free to 457 holders in the other states.

elice_in_oz Apr 13th 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10003501)

No extra fees to be paid in Victoria for children of temporary residents.:thumbup:

You will still have to pay for uniforms and the "voluntary" contribution and books lists and whatever else the school decides they need.

Our costs for a prep this year were about $275 (you get a small discount for subsequent enrolled children) all up for the school and about $300 for the uniform (including school bag). Not sure if those costs vary according to grades. You can do uniform cheaper by shopping around and going second-hand. Our school is one of the cheapest around apparently as a friend's son goes to the school down the road and their school costs (not including uniform) were over $400 I think, maybe more.

quoll Apr 13th 2012 7:14 pm

I believe the local school may be able to knock back a child in their catchment area if on a temporary visa and the school can justly say that they are full. Vaguely recall reading that somewhere but cant remember where just now. However they will provide a place in a school - and if you are in Victoria it wont cost you other than the regular "voluntary contributions" and other add ons

northernbird Apr 14th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 10004394)
I believe the local school may be able to knock back a child in their catchment area if on a temporary visa and the school can justly say that they are full. Vaguely recall reading that somewhere but cant remember where just now. However they will provide a place in a school - and if you are in Victoria it wont cost you other than the regular "voluntary contributions" and other add ons

Not here in WA, if you are on a valid visa and you are in boundary you get a place.

quoll Apr 14th 2012 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 10005565)
Not here in WA, if you are on a valid visa and you are in boundary you get a place.

Yes, I cant remember if it was NSW or Vic I read that - probably NSW given their fees etc