Reload this Page >

Education for 4 year old in Perth

Education for 4 year old in Perth

Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Alex Lush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education for 4 year old in Perth

Hi there

We're moving to Perth in January. Going on a tourist visa, and waiting out there for our residency to come through. So won't be able to use the state education system for a while.
We have a 4 year old boy, Jasper, who I'm keen to get into a pre-primary but I'm really not sure what the options are for this age. He was born 30/8/99, so is just four.

Basically I need some advice as to
A) What's available for this age...and how many sessions do they attend a week
B) Any recommendations as to private schools in Perth. We're going to be living in the Applecross area.

Thanks chaps!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to live in applecross you won't be short of a bob or two!! so there areplenty of private kindies that will take him. kids have to be 4 before june 30 of that yr (ie turn 5 within the school year) for pre-primary.

there are also numerous day care centres to choose from and you can choose as many or as little number of hours you want, most are open from 8am-6pm.

my daughter is 5 and presently at pre-primary, her older brother done the same year in UK (reception)and I definately think they treat them more like babies here for longer, most of her day is spent playing (they still have a lunchtime nap!) only just getting round to simlple words. maths etcc..

suppose they do finish later so they all catch up in the end.

Good luck Lynn
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Alex

Unfortunatley he needed to be 4 before end June this year to get into Pre Primary which is full time education (if you can call it that).

He will be able to go to Kindergarten though which is either 4 days 1/2 days or 2 full days.

Private schools may have different regulations but I doubt it.
I don't have any reccomendations of them cos we are state, sorry.

Good luck
Diane
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Lynn - my son is in Kindy now and will be in the same class next year for pre-primary so he will just be doing the same things again. Like you say, all they seem to do is play and sleep! They have quite a few incursions at our school though which is good.

Di
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys - that's really helpful

I guess the day centres might be better than just kindy for him. He's used to going to at least 6 or 7 sessions a week....and seems to need the stimulation. Maybe it's a boy thing, but he's really lazy at learning at home!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Alex - have a good look round at daycare, they vary vastly. You will probably be best with a Montessori one cos if your are looking at "learning issues". Although my son loves his daycare, they mainly play and do puzzles etc. A lot of centres are just huge businesses here and I don't think the ethics are quite the same.

Enjoy your trip
Diane
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Ah, ok! Thanks for the warning.

Can they go to two different places? ie a kindy and a montessori?
to increase the amount of hours?

Alex
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I should think so, I have found them to be very flexible here.

Di