education

Old May 26th 2003, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

kellyuk03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education

hi everyone does anybody know if an application will be refused if you have had cancer which is curable, also what is the education system like in oz thankyou
Old May 27th 2003, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: education

Originally posted by kellyuk03
hi everyone does anybody know if an application will be refused if you have had cancer which is curable, also what is the education system like in oz thankyou
Sorry to hear about the first issue, but can`t help on that one.

With regards to the education system over here, I`m afraid I`m going to be negative and say from my experience (primary school) it`s pretty dire if you want your children to have a good academic education. They concentrate far more heavily on sports, arts, etc. and leave very little time for the basics of English. I think the private schools are better in this respect, but can`t really comment as I have no personal experience of them.

The discipline in the school my children attend is pretty good, and the children seem to be happy, which of course is very important. However, my 8 year old`s maths homework last night consisted of questions (and this is the God`s honest truth here) such as what is 0+0, 1+2, 2x2 and 2+2. She learnt that in Reception Class in England!!!

Teaching is not regarded as a "Profession" here - and I know a lot of UK teachers will probably say "well it isn`t here either", but this does lead to a lot of changes of staff which can be very unsettling for the youngsters.

Also, the further education system is in a real mess over here. Universities and TAFEs crying out for funding and more qualified teachers etc.

Sorry to be so negative, it`s just my personal experience of state primary education in Brisbane.

Whilst I do like Australia, we will probably be returning to the UK shortly as I fear for my childrens` future here...
Old May 27th 2003, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: education

Originally posted by Rosy
Sorry to hear about the first issue, but can`t help on that one.

With regards to the education system over here, I`m afraid I`m going to be negative and say from my experience (primary school) it`s pretty dire if you want your children to have a good academic education. They concentrate far more heavily on sports, arts, etc. and leave very little time for the basics of English. I think the private schools are better in this respect, but can`t really comment as I have no personal experience of them.

The discipline in the school my children attend is pretty good, and the children seem to be happy, which of course is very important. However, my 8 year old`s maths homework last night consisted of questions (and this is the God`s honest truth here) such as what is 0+0, 1+2, 2x2 and 2+2. She learnt that in Reception Class in England!!!

Teaching is not regarded as a "Profession" here - and I know a lot of UK teachers will probably say "well it isn`t here either", but this does lead to a lot of changes of staff which can be very unsettling for the youngsters.

Also, the further education system is in a real mess over here. Universities and TAFEs crying out for funding and more qualified teachers etc.

Sorry to be so negative, it`s just my personal experience of state primary education in Brisbane.

Whilst I do like Australia, we will probably be returning to the UK shortly as I fear for my childrens` future here...
I tend to agree with Rosy...we don't have kids in school, so granted we don't have first hand experience, but from what we've seen its one of the factors influencing whether we stay or go...a definite concern for us.
ps Rosy will pm you when I have a touch more time. All the best!
Old May 27th 2003, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Further education costs a fair wedge in Oz and obviously that can be a deciding factor in keeping educational levels down. TAFE courses don't seem to be cheap. I am FE Lecturer and it is free to students under 22 and to a certain extent this is all taken for granted over here. However, my cousins in Adelaide were fairly worried about meeting costs of 2 kids going to TAFE even though they had previously been to private schools - it was working out dearer. I visited a couple of the private secondary schools in Adelaide and they seemed quite strict on uniform and the like, however I didn't get the impression that the education was particularly rigorous or challenging. Lots of good sports facilities though, netball in particular was vereeee popular in Adelaide with lots of tournaments going on (being a former basketball player, always thought it a bit of a wusses game)

Elaine
Old May 27th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Unhappy very worrying

Oh Dear! I was headed to Queensland as I thought that the education would be much better for my children. MAybe I will have to think about private schools. Surely university education cannot be anymore expensive than in the UK? Are children encouraged to go onto FE?
Old May 27th 2003, 5:52 pm
earlswood

You've worried me a bit!!

Although doesn't alot depend on the area? i.e alot of schools in UK are in special measures yet in the next town the kids are doing great!!

I came back from Albany Creek in Brisbane four weeks ago and my friends who live in Bunya said that the local schools (none private) were great? and they've been there 20 yrs.

Earlswood

Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:56 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Earlswood, I have sent you an e-mail.

Dawn
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto the above, we're not too impressed with primary school so far. My 8-year old also gets sent home with similarly easy homework and last year my 9-year old learnt nursery rhymes!! It's hard to get into some private schools, long waiting lists, try and apply from the UK if you know for sure what area you're settling in.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed your first question re cancer - I know someone over here who had breast cancer and she got her visa ok.
Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:49 pm
Badge

of course - the other side of the coin is - what use is academic education if it all it does it create a nation of stressed, unhappy, competing, individuals - and teachers!?

The education levels may be lower in Australia - not what I noticed - but the kids social skills and happiness were much higher I found. On a cattle station I was working on the 14 yr old daughter acted and behaved like a woman in her mid twenties and had a composure and all-round ability I've never seen in a teenager in this country.

"All work and no play made jack a dull boy"

Old Aug 14th 2003, 3:58 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

I was made an ex-pat at the age of 6 when my family moved to Australia. I was educated right from primary, through to secondary to tertiary level.

I was also educated in Queensland, and the standard of schooling and dedication of my teachers were faultless. Like any country Australia has some public schools to be wary of, but the vast majority are excellent.

I live and work in the UK now, and my sister whos also working here is now a teacher at Secondary level. She believes the Australian system of education is superior to the British, and she says alot of there modern methods and practise of teaching have been adopted from Australian systems from WA, NSW and QLD. Her school has just got electronic report cards, I was recieving these 10 years ago in Australia. I work in IT, and I would say the tertiary computer degree I did far surpassed what my cousin was being taught here during the same time. England is slow on the uptake, always has been, its why Australian IT people are in demand and do so well over here.

Also my father is a Professor, and now working at a university in America. Hes worked in England, Australia and America and believes Australia has the best overall university system in the world. Sure Australia universitys have had there funding cut, just like British universitys, this is a trend of modern times. However they are looking to international students, industry, and different programs to make up the funding they need.

So don't believe everything you read here. Do your research, go to the school, speak to the staff and students, and you'll be assured of getting your kids the best education from the state. No doubt Australians encourage sport, but they also encourage good education. If you have a look at most job requirements in Australia you'd notice the educational requirements are very high.

Last edited by mcjimbo; Aug 14th 2003 at 4:21 pm.