Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh to Sydney

Edinburgh to Sydney

Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edinburgh to Sydney

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Project Management support in finance/banking
As a contract rate I can't help but think you've dramatically undersold yourself.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Well I found on Seek etc, they were all paying around the same rate. Yes its not ideal, but I wanted something to get started on before Christmas, as will be into my savings soon, so its better than nothing, and its for a prestigious bank. They already said I can manoeuvre within their company in due course. So its a reasonable move, yes could be better but will do for now. Or I can always leave as soon as something better presents itself
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Project Management support in finance/banking
I am an accountant in financial services and recently sponsored a major project for my company. I was not in charge of what the project team were paid, but I did look at overall budget and I would estimate that our very, very lowest level of project admin support were on $75k. So unless you believe you are a very low and unskilled level of admin support (which would beg the question how you earned more than GBP50k in London), I would say you have undersold yourself. Good news being there is lots of upside for you.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

I haven't completed my project management exams yet and I career changed into project management in the last six months from a desktop publishing background in the UK, so no, I'm not a fully fledged project manager or have that expertise yet. I'm well-skilled but not in that line of work. I have moved into PM work for the money I will most certainly make in the next year or two, more than I would ever make in my old line of work. So I consider six months on less money a small sacrifice.

It's still not that low. Other recruiters have said it's normal and so have other banking staff.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't completed my project management exams yet and I career changed into project management in the last six months from a desktop publishing background in the UK, so no, I'm not a fully fledged project manager or have that expertise yet. I'm well-skilled but not in that line of work. I have moved into PM work for the money I will most certainly make in the next year or two, more than I would ever make in my old line of work. So I consider six months on less money a small sacrifice.

It's still not that low. Other recruiters have said it's normal and so have other banking staff.
No really, it is low as I mentioned above and my comments are not theory, they are fact. Maybe recruiters are incentivised to provide cheap labour. I don't have one now as I changed role but I previously paid my pure admin assistant (she booked my travel and arranged meetings) what you are earning.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Like I said, I have my reasons and for six months it's okay. Nobody else has mentioned it to be low to me. I'm happy with it
Old Nov 28th 2013, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Dudlg0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the helpful advice. The take home message seems to be negotiate and aim for x2.5 UK salary.

Does a weekly rent of around $500-600 seems reasonable? I have had a look on a few rental websites and this would include a lot of properties in the eastern suburbs. Other posts have mentioned that this area contains the best locations, does everyone agree? Is it possible to be near a beach for this amount of money?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dudlg0
Thanks for the helpful advice. The take home message seems to be negotiate and aim for x2.5 UK salary.

Does a weekly rent of around $500-600 seems reasonable? I have had a look on a few rental websites and this would include a lot of properties in the eastern suburbs. Other posts have mentioned that this area contains the best locations, does everyone agree? Is it possible to be near a beach for this amount of money?
Well you say you have looked in the rental websites, so if you saw things it must be ok?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Yep, it possible to see pics of the flat, but not get a feel for the locations!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:10 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Which university medical school are you wanting to be near to? US, UNSW, UWS, MQU? And how long are you prepared to commute?

The eastern 'burbs are nice. But there's a lot of nice areas in Sydney (there's a lot of money in Sydney!). If you were needing to get to the west or north shore, I'd not choose to be based there.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We own a large 2 bed flat directly opposite the beach at Coogee. The current rent has just risen to $640 a week.

I'd say that you'd have no trouble getting a flat near the beach for $500-600 a week. It might not have water views but it would be close.

Check out Coogee. Bondi is probably a bit more expensive. Clovelly is nice but it's smaller and quieter and doesn't have so many flats.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Which university medical school are you wanting to be near to? US, UNSW, UWS, MQU? And how long are you prepared to commute?

The eastern 'burbs are nice. But there's a lot of nice areas in Sydney (there's a lot of money in Sydney!). If you were needing to get to the west or north shore, I'd not choose to be based there.
Sorry, ill be at the University of Sydney!
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:58 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, ill be at the University of Sydney!
So for US, I'd be looking at the inner west, rather than the east. (But I hate commuting and when we first moved to Sydney that's where we settled, so I'm biased!) While there's no beaches, you can get waterfront places - for a premium. And the beach is pretty accessible. I'd take the trade-off as I think the cafes/restaurants/nightlife/access to the city is better from the west compared to the east. You will, of course, find someone with the exact opposite opinion. There's also a good number of expats in the inner west (have a look at the Thursday night social threads in the meet-ups section of the forum - introduce yourself to Swerv-o). There's lots of great places in the inner west, Glebe, Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle ... Have a few nights accommodation booked for when you arrive and then hit the streets and explore when you get here - it's the best way to get a feel for the place and what will suit you best.

Salary wise, I'd say that's pretty average - not terrible, but not brilliant either. But that's my social circle, my circumstances and is completely irrelevant to you.

Sydney's what you make of it. Throw yourself into life out here, know it's different, not the UK with sun, and you'll have a ball. Good luck with it.