Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Economy stalling

Economy stalling

Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economy stalling

Originally Posted by astera
Look what happened when market sentiment went south in mid-2008. Aussie Dollar went from high 90's to like 65c without as much as blinking. Lay over the same chart of the NASDAQ100 and it's a perfect match - both going into free-fall at the time.

Fast-forward to recent times and American stock indexes are at a historic high, so not exactly shaky times in terms of investor mood if new records are being set.

I would expect both to follow suit in case of any trouble. If US markets go into disarray then the AUD will be punished badly.
The perception of the Aussie has varied over the last few years. Traditionally it was a global "growth" barometer, but this nexus doesn't necessarily apply these days. The world economy is increasingly distorted with all the money printing, ZIRP and asset bubbles popping up left and right. Nobody really knows how it will all end - except badly.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:17 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

One can only hope for another round of $900 stimulus plasma package!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Too true

Originally Posted by chris955
Its what I always get shot down for saying, if you are working in a downturn/recession I doubt you see or feel the effects.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We dont personally know anyone who is unemployed here or in Australia and everyone seems to be doing just fine, of course that doesnt mean many arent struggling in both countries as they clearly are. I agree though with the way things are going I wouldnt be making the move even with the exchange rate heading in the 'right' direction. It just seems as though things are catching up to the economy.

Originally Posted by verystormy
I agree, if you aren't unemployed, then a recession is meaningless. Friends in the UK don't know what the fuss is about. All have done well, best made received his biggest bonus this year he has ever had, brother in law launched a restaurant which has been booked solid for a year.
Also, if you are retired, semi-retired, and have accumulated wealth.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Not an odd 'theory' at all.

I didn't say the UK doesn't produce 'anything', I'm saying it relies heavily on the export of services to help plug the Balance of Payments.

The UK in 2012 had a £106 bn deficit on visible (goods) trade. A surplus on trade of services is needed to help plug this gap but it was only £70 bn in 2012 so that's a trade gap of £36bn, twice what it was the year before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/e...dismal-reading