Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Economy OZ Vs UK

Economy OZ Vs UK

Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:51 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Economy OZ Vs UK

Which economy is going better at the moment and is best able to handle the financial crisis.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economy OZ Vs UK

Originally Posted by mohogony
Which economy is going better at the moment and is best able to handle the financial crisis.
Probably very similar.

The important question is....which will be better in the future?

I would back the UK to recover quicker.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think statistically the Aus economy will look much better right now, however I also think it's playing catch up as far as the GFC is concerned.

As the UK economy is far more reliant on financial services and non-manufacturing activities it was able to take an immediate hit in the final quarter of 2008 as the sh!t really hit the fan.

In Aus on the other hand significant capital projects would have already been under way, or at such a stage of planning that they would've continued regardless. Many announcements have now been made though regarding the shelving of projects and I think the effects will now start to be really felt.

Also there are some really dire numbers coming out of Australia's major trading partners in Asia....particularly Japan.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Probably very similar.

The important question is....which will be better in the future?

I would back the UK to recover quicker.
And HN51 will be in Aus before the UK.

On your past performance it's looking good for Aus
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

On your past performance it's looking good for Aus
Let's wait and see.

It really makes no odds to me...I am not reliant on a job.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:10 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
I guess it depends on how you define a better economy. Australia is lagging behind the UK and US in terms of how far into recession we are. The fact that Australia is still a few percentage points from a zero base rate is one indication of that.

Unfortunately I believe worldwide we're only starting to see how bad things are. With governments globally borrowing significantly to "stimulate" economies it is only going to mean one thing - higher interest rates before too long - which is going to be bad news for many.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by harrip
it is only going to mean one thing - higher interest rates before too long - which is going to be bad news for many.
...and good news for many others
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:15 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

...and good news for many others
Individually maybe. For the economy as a whole and for people wanting to keep jobs - not.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:17 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
As the UK economy is far more reliant on financial services and non-manufacturing activities it was able to take an immediate hit in the final quarter of 2008 as the sh!t really hit the fan.
if by "reliant" you mean what contributed most to GDP there really isn't that much difference between the two:

GDP - composition by sector: (UK)
agriculture: 0.9%
industry: 22.8%
services: 76.2%

GDP - composition by sector: (Aus)
agriculture: 2.5%
industry: 26.4%
services: 71.1%

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...orld-factbook/
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by harrip
Individually maybe. For the economy as a whole and for people wanting to keep jobs - not.
see post #5
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
if by "reliant" you mean what contributed most to GDP there really isn't that much difference between the two:

GDP - composition by sector: (UK)
agriculture: 0.9%
industry: 22.8%
services: 76.2%

GDP - composition by sector: (Aus)
agriculture: 2.5%
industry: 26.4%
services: 71.1%

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...orld-factbook/
Depends on what the composition of the 'services' number is really?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:29 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's wait and see.

It really makes no odds to me...I am not reliant on a job.
Nor me.

I bet on some level you actually do care
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MartinLuther;7333582]Nor me.

Bully for you.

I am reliant on a job, well at least for the next 15 years when we have paid our mortage off.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jond;7333669]
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Nor me.

Bully for you.

I am reliant on a job, well at least for the next 15 years when we have paid our mortage off.
Same here and make that 25 years for us.

Oh to not need a job.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Professional Princess;7333676]
Originally Posted by jond

Same here and make that 25 years for us.

Oh to not need a job.

I like my job, not my mortgage though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.