EaSy PeAsy!! =)

Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:20 am
Just Joined

BimboBenjy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile EaSy PeAsy!! =)

Hey Guys!!

We are new to this site and have found to it absolutely bursting with brill info but for some reason am still struggling to find the exact answers to my questions

I think it may be just me as I may have my questions wrong?

Anyway..........I was hoping you helpful guys may be able to help us with some questions that may seem to easy and make us look dumb!!

We are bf & gf, 22 yrs old and have been talking about going to Aussie for a while now (Ideally Melbourne or Gold Coast) and just want to make the move asap. We would ideally like to apply for Working Holiday Visa's and after a yr of being there and like it, apply for a further Visa to stay.

My bf is Metal Sheet/roofer (Roof Plumber) & I am a PA for large Construction Co.

Do you know....

1. How long it will take for our Working Holiday Visa's to arrive once we have applied?

2. Can we still rent a property out there with only having WHV's? If so, what do we need i.e Month upfront, Bond, References etc.

3. Can we use our UK driving Licenses?

4. Is the hire of a car expensive?

Am v.sorry for all the boring questions as you have probably heard them a million times over and probably more than likely heard this line over and over!

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated as like I said, we really are hoping to be out there as soon as possible.

ThAnK YoOoOu
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

famousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nice
Default Re: EaSy PeAsy!! =)

Originally Posted by BimboBenjy
Hey Guys!!

We are new to this site and have found to it absolutely bursting with brill info but for some reason am still struggling to find the exact answers to my questions

I think it may be just me as I may have my questions wrong?

Anyway..........I was hoping you helpful guys may be able to help us with some questions that may seem to easy and make us look dumb!!

We are bf & gf, 22 yrs old and have been talking about going to Aussie for a while now (Ideally Melbourne or Gold Coast) and just want to make the move asap. We would ideally like to apply for Working Holiday Visa's and after a yr of being there and like it, apply for a further Visa to stay.

My bf is Metal Sheet/roofer (Roof Plumber) & I am a PA for large Construction Co.

Do you know....

1. How long it will take for our Working Holiday Visa's to arrive once we have applied?

2. Can we still rent a property out there with only having WHV's? If so, what do we need i.e Month upfront, Bond, References etc.

3. Can we use our UK driving Licenses?

4. Is the hire of a car expensive?

Am v.sorry for all the boring questions as you have probably heard them a million times over and probably more than likely heard this line over and over!

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated as like I said, we really are hoping to be out there as soon as possible.

ThAnK YoOoOu
Hi guys, i can only give you my experience of the above, but i'm sure others will be along to give you more concrete answers ! it took me 4 months to recieve my w.h.v but this was several years ago, it shouldn't stop you from renting a house especially if you are wanting a long term rental (check out www.realestate.com.au for a rough idea of prices etc), i got myself an international driving licence as i travelled thru a lot of countries, and i think it's valid for a year in oz, can't even guess at the cost of car hire long term as i bought a very clapped out van from the local backpackers!!
good luck with your plans, and you'll find loads of info on this site, every one is very helpful
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:22 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EaSy PeAsy!! =)

1. don't know anything about WHV (im a dual citizen)

2. Should be fine renting for a shorter period - people do it all the time!! Standard in Aust is 4-5 weeks rent as a deposit - sometimes if they are concerned you may not be able to pay (if you don't have a full time job, for example) then they may be nervous but there are ways to deal with those issues. You usually will need some references from previous landlords etc (the more stuff like that you have the more chance of getting the place you want!)

3. yes, you can use your UK licences for a certain period (think its up to 12 months in NSW) - however, if you are looking at making the permanent move then why not upgrade your licences whilst you are here?? In NSW you simply walk in, fill in the form, pay the fee (about $150) then walk out with your NSW licence (and you get to keep your UK one so you can have both!!!)

4. look up places like hertz, avis etc and geta quote from them to see how much hire cars are to get an idea - it might actually be worht buyiong one then selling when you leave (depending on how long you'll be here and how much travelling etc) If you just want a cheap runabout you can get one for $2,000-3,000. The other day I saw a clapped out old car for sale for $500 with 8 months road tax!!!!!! Surely that would be a bargain - even if you used it for 6 months then gave it away!!! If you want something that will take you on loger journeys I'd suggest spending a bit extra to get something more road-worthy and comfortable! (prob about $6,000-7,000).