Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easy life in Victoria in the construction game

Easy life in Victoria in the construction game

Old Sep 10th 2004, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easy life in Victoria in the construction game

What a day today,pouring down and only 12 degrees,worse day since ive been here[3 months].Wish i was working,we get sent home if its raining up until 11am with full pay and sent home in summer if it gets to 35 degrees .Didnt get that in England in the construction buisness.Also get every other monday off[RDO day] a day off for Queens birthday,also the Melbourne cup horse race and a picnic day,plus loads of other days.On top of that you get your 4 weeks holiday,3 weeks at christmas.Its a hard life over here.Must go, and carry on with my decorating at home.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easy life in Victoria in the construction game

Originally Posted by thfc
What a day today,pouring down and only 12 degrees,worse day since ive been here[3 months].Wish i was working,we get sent home if its raining up until 11am with full pay and sent home in summer if it gets to 35 degrees .Didnt get that in England in the construction buisness.Also get every other monday off[RDO day] a day off for Queens birthday,also the Melbourne cup horse race and a picnic day,plus loads of other days.On top of that you get your 4 weeks holiday,3 weeks at christmas.Its a hard life over here.Must go, and carry on with my decorating at home.
we are in Queensland, my husbands a brickie and he got sent home the other day cos it had rained and he had wet boots, it wasnt even raining heavy ! the union says you cant work with wet boots on !! he thought it was funny cos england hes worked in rain and snow but just got on with it, he also gets full pay for days when hes rained off !!

lucy
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat
we are in Queensland, my husbands a brickie and he got sent home the other day cos it had rained and he had wet boots, it wasnt even raining heavy ! the union says you cant work with wet boots on !! he thought it was funny cos england hes worked in rain and snow but just got on with it, he also gets full pay for days when hes rained off !!

lucy
Im a steel fixer,last week it was raining we was told to sit in the sheds by the union,we was working inside but cause there wasnt a covered walk way to were we was working[about 15 foot away] we wernt allowed to work.The job was behind,so the union said we could walk across to where we was working, but only if we were paid double time and we got it,work that one out.Cant work in the rain unless we are getting paid double time,at over 50 dollars an hour,i love the unions here.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thfc
Im a steel fixer,last week it was raining we was told to sit in the sheds by the union,we was working inside but cause there wasnt a covered walk way to were we was working[about 15 foot away] we wernt allowed to work.The job was behind,so the union said we could walk across to where we was working, but only if we were paid double time and we got it,work that one out.Cant work in the rain unless we are getting paid double time,at over 50 dollars an hour,i love the unions here.
yes the unions really help out the workers but they must be a real pain in the arse for employers !

lucy