Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easy electrical question but I need an answer !

Easy electrical question but I need an answer !

Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Easy electrical question but I need an answer !

Hi everyone - in my house its approaching DEFCON 1 (see Wargames film - it means the highest state of readiness/alert/panic).

Anyways - we are now sorting out quotes for a container and wondering about what electrical items to take.

Vacuum cleaner - our current one (Dyson cylinder) is a bugger - good to pick up but you empty it every 5 minutes. So, we want to buy a new one (heard that uprights are better) and so given the sales on right now we think yeah buy one and ship it out. Question is, can I just cut the UK 3 pin plug off of it and put a Oz plug on it ?

This question goes for any electrical item really - can I just put an Oz plug on my UK electrical items - computer, HI-FI, radio, table lamps, drill, freezer, etc and it won't blow up the house electrics ?

TV's
I understand from other threads that you can take UK TV's and they will work in Oz if you run them through a video or digibox......or if they are very new and have both versions of PAL you'll be fine....either way they could be used for playstations games.........which leads me on to....

Sony Playstation II
We have ones of these bloody things and as much as I would prefer my boys to be outside playing some time they will want to play Star Wars Battlefront, so can you take a UK PS2 and play PS2 games bought in Oz ?.....they have lots of UK PS2 games to take but it will mean that that they can't buy any new ones or we have to buy a Oz PS2 machine

Thanks for any help........

Last edited by Olibeneli; Jan 4th 2006 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easy electrical question but I need an answer !

we brought all our UK electricals with us...and yes we just changed the plugs, even though officially you are meant to get a qualified electrician to do so.

However with our Dyson, we just have the UK plug into an adaptor- just being lazy and we are used to it now! (and we always know where to find the adaptor for our English visitors )

TVs- ours did not work, but some will and people have posted on here that a digital set top box helps.

PS2- think they are country chipped and you can change them, but then would be unable to play UK games! As a non-player I could be talking rubbish here.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:12 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Hi everyone - in my house its approaching DEFCON 1 (see Wargames film - it means the highest state of readiness/alert/panic).

Anyways - we are now sorting out quotes for a container and wondering about what electrical items to take.

Vacuum cleaner - our current one (Dyson cylinder) is a bugger - good to pick up but you empty it every 5 minutes. So, we want to buy a new one (heard that uprights are better) and so given the sales on right now we think yeah buy one and ship it out. Question is, can I just cut the UK 3 pin plug off of it and put a Oz plug on it ?

This question goes for any electrical item really - can I just put an Oz plug on my UK electrical items - computer, HI-FI, radio, table lamps, drill, freezer, etc and it won't blow up the house electrics ?

TV's
I understand from other threads that you can take UK TV's and they will work in Oz if you run them through a video or digibox......or if they are very new and have both versions of PAL you'll be fine....either way they could be used for playstations games.........which leads me on to....

Sony Playstation II
We have ones of these bloody things and as much as I would prefer my boys to be outside playing some time they will want to play Star Wars Battlefront, so can you take a UK PS2 and play PS2 games bought in Oz ?.....they have lots of UK PS2 games to take but it will mean that that they can't buy any new ones or we have to buy a Oz PS2 machine

Thanks for any help........
* Hoover - My opinion is, give it a good clean, and take it with you. Most of the surfaces in your house in Oz will probably be tile/vinyl, and I would think there won't be as much gunk to hoover up.

* Plugs - it's fairly straight forward to change them, but it's the law that you need to get a qualified sparky to do it (although I've heard a lot of people just go ahead and do it anyway)

* PS2 will be fine in Oz as they are both PAL machines, and so are the games.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
* Hoover - My opinion is, give it a good clean, and take it with you. Most of the surfaces in your house in Oz will probably be tile/vinyl, and I would think there won't be as much gunk to hoover up.

* Plugs - it's fairly straight forward to change them, but it's the law that you need to get a qualified sparky to do it (although I've heard a lot of people just go ahead and do it anyway)

* PS2 will be fine in Oz as they are both PAL machines, and so are the games.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move
Qualified electrician to change a plug ?............how would anyone know they did or did not change my plugs?........if a qualified elctrican did change my plugs, does he leave a mark or something on all his work ?......

Are you sure on PS2 games.......I thought they were region coded like DVDs ?
Good news if you are right!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:27 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate,

you are on my list to ring, trouble is my list seems to keep getting bigger from the top

I will try to give you a ring tomorrow.

Is it the 19th they are off?

Kevin
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:30 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Qualified electrician to change a plug ?............how would anyone know they did or did not change my plugs?........if a qualified elctrican did change my plugs, does he leave a mark or something on all his work ?......
I think they put a tag on it.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:32 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly...silly isn't it. Don't know if they leave a sticker...and I don't think they'll go to every house checking all the plugs

Are you sure on PS2 games.......I thought they were region coded like DVDs ?
Good news if you are right!
My husband has worked in the games industry for 20 years, and he is definite about the U.K games working in Oz
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinl
Hi mate,

you are on my list to ring, trouble is my list seems to keep getting bigger from the top

I will try to give you a ring tomorrow.

Is it the 19th they are off?

Kevin
Hiya

Hows the nerves?........yes they go on 19th......I'm in tomorrow night after 7 for a call......Wife and boys are at in-laws up north for a good bye session.....everyone says we are doing right thing......easily said but bloody stressful to do it !.....
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly...silly isn't it. Don't know if they leave a sticker...and I don't think they'll go to every house checking all the plugs

My husband has worked in the games industry for 20 years, and he is definite about the U.K games working in Oz
Bloody brilliant !........I just googled on this subject and the newer PS3 box apparently will be region free to avoid the geeks doing homebrewed games copies and buggering things up.......something like that anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

You got the wrong thread mate?
No.........he's got the right thread........we're mates who can't be arsed to pick the phone up!!!!!.........least not tonight anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:40 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

cacking it mate :scared:

Shippers coming on Tuesday, out of the rental on Wednesday, fly on Saturday week.

I'll ring you tomorrow, must go to bed I'm knackered!

Kevin
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:41 pm

No.........he's got the right thread........we're mates who can't be arsed to pick the phone up!!!!!.........least not tonight anyway.
LOL! I'm pleased you knew what he was on about
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL! I'm pleased you knew what he was on about
No worries....
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:24 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We have UK xbox and ps2 both work fine with Aussie games, if we had believed harvey norman staff we would have had to get a chip but turned out didn't need.

PSP we have works fine with Aus games but needs regional dvd's unless you redo it with some online download or chip it somehow.

Child has far to much..lol.

TV works through DVD recorder which can pick up the band width the TV can't with our Toshiba has nothing to do with pal it is the band width it can recieve...TV's is to low for Aussie signal.

PS/ when santa came by he put all the new plugs on we needed, turned out he was electrician.

Last edited by annqldau; Jan 5th 2006 at 8:25 am. Reason: addition
Old Jan 5th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Think the thing with the qualified electrician relates to risk of fire. If you have a fire and it can be traced to an electrical item that you wired - you may find that your home insurance will not pay out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.