Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eastern Distributor to North Sydney Without Exiting to City

Eastern Distributor to North Sydney Without Exiting to City

Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

daylesford will become famous soon enoughdaylesford will become famous soon enough
Default Eastern Distributor to North Sydney Without Exiting to City

I am new to sydney and will be driving from the sydney domestic airport to north sydney. May I know that once I have merged into the eastern distributor, it will lead me directly to the sydney harbour tunnel via the cahill expway without the need to exit to the city ?

Also, the eastern distributor is a toll road and i do not have an e-tag, how can i make payment after using the eastern distributor ?

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Eastern Distributor to North Sydney Without Exiting to City

Originally Posted by daylesford
it will lead me directly to the sydney harbour tunnel via the cahill expway without the need to exit to the city ?
Once on the Eastern Distributor and follow the signs for Cahill Expressway then yes there is no need to exit into the city. If you are looking to get off at North Sydney Do not go via the tunnel, go via the Cahill Expressway. Stay on the ED and follow signes for Cahill Expressway.

The Cahill Expressway leads to the Sydney Harbour bridge. The Tunnel goes under the harbour, both end up roughly in the same place. But you may miss the North Sydney exit depending which one you need.

Once on the ED you can't go wrong to get to North Sydney, well signed posted.

Originally Posted by daylesford
Also, the eastern distributor is a toll road and i do not have an e-tag, how can i make payment after using the eastern distributor ?

Thanks
No need for an etag, you can pay cash. Make sure you have a $10 or Max $20 dollar note (change is prefered). If you hand over a $50 the toll person can refuse to accept it. They give you a form and you have to pay via post + an admin fee. If you do manage to go through the eTag lane DO NOT WORRY. in a hire car they will charge you the toll fee+an admin fee. You won't get any points or anything like that.

As I understand it the TUNNEL will be going cashless (requires etag) soon. So just keep to using the bridge.

Forgot to mention, once on the bridge keep in the left 2 lanes. The exit for North Sydney come up very quickly.

Last edited by shorrock; Jul 5th 2007 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If it's possible for you to use the tunnel, then you should use it in preference to the bridge every time. The tunnel is faster - the only disadvantage, as Shorrock has said, is that the lower North Sydney exits are not available from the tunnel.

And if it's a trip you'll be doing regularly then get a tag ASAP. The tunnel will be cashless from this Sunday (July 8th), but bear in mind that you only pay for Harbour crossings (tunnel and bridge) going south - there are no tolls travelling north.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:53 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update on this!

If you want to use the tunnel from Moonday (July 9th) you will need to have an etag (or, as an option, you have 48 hours to pay the toll online after the journey).

There will be no toll on the bridge for northbound traffic (you only pay the toll southbound) but even for this the NSW gov't will be getting rid of the cash toll booths in the next few months in favour of an entiure electronic tag system for all toll roads in Sydney (places like the new M7 are toll only now anyway)
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NickyC
there are no tolls travelling north.
Just to clear things up for the OP. If you are traveling from the Airport on the ED, you will be hit with the toll for the ED and.

If you haven't driven on the bridge before then go via the bridge. It's a fantastic view of the bridge, opera house and Sydney City.

If you are planning on getting an eTAG get and RTA eTAG

They don't charge you for not using it and if you forget your tag when using the tolls, you can still drive through. The other companies will charge you and admin fee for doing that + the toll cost.