Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easiest state to get a driving licence?

Easiest state to get a driving licence?

Old Aug 19th 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

apple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant futureapple3 has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Easiest state to get a driving licence?

Hi all!

Having finally made it here, I'm just wondering which state would be the best for getting a driving licence. I have an Irish provisional licence.

Also, is there any way of getting around having to drive with a fully licenced driver for a year? My OH can't come with me to work. We'll not be working in locations close to eachother and our hours are very different. Are they really that strict about it?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 7:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easiest state to get a driving licence?

Originally Posted by apple3
Hi all!

Having finally made it here, I'm just wondering which state would be the best for getting a driving licence. I have an Irish provisional licence.

Also, is there any way of getting around having to drive with a fully licenced driver for a year? My OH can't come with me to work. We'll not be working in locations close to eachother and our hours are very different. Are they really that strict about it?

You will need to contact the transport department in the state you intend to settle in, as rules can differ in each state. Not having an open licence, you may have to start again on a learners permit. Most states are now going the way of having learners permits lasting at least 1 year before you can take you test. If it is a requirement that you need to have a fully licenced driver with you, you will have to make other arrangements such as using public transport. Have you considered that option.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 19th 2007 at 7:57 am.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

It all appears a bit vague
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:06 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

I reckon it would be easier to get your licence in Ireland first.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely avoid NSW. It gets harder and harder to get a license here.

You now have to:
1. Take a computer-based test to get your Learners Permit
2. Log 120 hours driving on L plates with an experienced driver sitting beside you
3. Take a practical driving test with an examiner
4. Drive for 1 year on red P plates
5. Take a second computer-based hazard awareness test
6. Drive for 2 years on green P plates
7. Take a third computer-based test
8. Finally get your full license.

Not for the faint-hearted - you need to be really keen to do all that....
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

What about WA the oh only has a provisional and we were gonna wait until we got to oz
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
What about WA the oh only has a provisional and we were gonna wait until we got to oz

See here: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1210.asp
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

South Australia:
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...r_learners.asp

Queensland:
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...ing_a_licence/

Victoria:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...GettingYourLs/

ACT:
http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licencelearner.htm

NT:
http://www.nt.gov.au/transport/mvr/l...rspermit.shtml

Tasmania:
http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/lice...driver_logbook

And I know it's been covered but I may as well post the link - NSW:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ex.html?llid=1
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
I've been driving for 28 years and WA wanted to put me on P plates because I had only been driving in Australia for 10 months before moving to Perth. It's only because I bitched and told her to shove her license I'd keep my SA one that she relented.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've been driving for 28 years and WA wanted to put me on P plates because I had only been driving in Australia for 10 months before moving to Perth. It's only because I bitched and told her to shove her license I'd keep my SA one that she relented.
Someone else had trouble last week with WA. I wonder if it was the same person behind the counter
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:35 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Easiest state to get a driving licence?

Hi all!

I found Victoria to be the easiest. Try Vicroads Dandenong and I am sure you will get it. Then you can get your VIC license transferred to NSW, very easily.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Given how strict the Australians are on road traffic law I would not even think about driving solo on a learner permit

- it is not in the least bit like driving in Ireland where the requirements for learner drivers are not enforced - poorly trained drivers on provisional licences driving without a qualified driver is one of the reasons why the death toll in Ireland among male 17-30 year olds is one of the highest in Europe.

The chances of being stopped at a checkpoint for a breath test are relatively high compared to Ireland and if you get caught at one of these checkpoints on a learner permit it is more than likely the car will be impounded and you arrested and charged with god knows how many traffic offences

- for example while in Oz for eight weeks earlier this year myself and the OH met three checkpoints one in NSW and two in Vic - at two of them we were breathalised and we had to produce passport and licences to show that we were tourists (the hire car we were in had WA plates which made the cops suspicious) and as an example of how strict they are at the checkpoints they also checked that our two girls were in booster seats and they spoke directly to the children when checking their ages !!! to ensure that they were entitled to be using booster seats and not 5 point restraints as required for younger children.

To sum up its not worth the risk - get yourself onto public transport while you see out the time on a learner permit! or get a scooter.

Mark
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:29 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Irish provisional licence will mean you start at the very beginning in NSW.
If you have a full licence for less than 1 year you go on to P1 plate for 12 months then do a test and go on to P2 plates for 2 years.
If you have full licence between 1 - 3 years you go on to P2 plates for 2 years.
greater than 3 years you get full licence.