Earthy Taste?

Old May 1st 2011, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Earthy Taste?

The one big thing we have noticed since arriving here is the taste of some vegetables, especially spuds and carrots?
Is this the norm or is it a seasonal thing, all of the items in question come from either woolies or coles, so it's not a supply (shop) issue, so what is it?
Anyone else noticed the strong earth like taste to the veggies?
Thanks.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthy Taste?

Originally Posted by deb68
The one big thing we have noticed since arriving here is the taste of some vegetables, especially spuds and carrots?
Is this the norm or is it a seasonal thing, all of the items in question come from either woolies or coles, so it's not a supply (shop) issue, so what is it?
Anyone else noticed the strong earth like taste to the veggies?
Thanks.
They're not artificial.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else noticed the strong earth like taste to the veggies?.
You do wash them before you cook them, right???

I also buy my veggies from Woolies - not noticed any odd taste, earthy or otherwise - but I do wash mine before I cook them .
Old May 1st 2011, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Yes the veggies are all washed, even the spuds before peeling
It's just an observation of the slight variance in the taste of things over here. The frozen mixed veg as the same earthy taste?
Old May 1st 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

The veg might be different varieties, grown in different soil, with different minerals, and no doubt different fertilizers. The veg might have been in cold storage for a long time. Yes, always wash before using and I peel some veg that Australians might not, such as pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots. Milk can vary greatly in taste too, as the different breeds of cows munch on grass (or hay) that grows in different soil with different mineral content, etc.
Old May 1st 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the veggies are all washed, even the spuds before peeling
It's just an observation of the slight variance in the taste of things over here. The frozen mixed veg as the same earthy taste?
Well, since the frozen veg comes from either NZ or China, then it's unlikely.

I've only seen Aussie grown frozen veg at Coles.

I've not noticed any earthy taste to the veg...the tap water on the other hand...