British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Earthquake due? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/earthquake-due-280149/)

Grayling Jan 26th 2005 3:06 pm

Earthquake due?

This is a bit of a worry. :scared:

If it happens

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...15-421,00.html

G

bridiej Jan 26th 2005 3:09 pm

Re: Earthquake due?

Not a worry really, after all you could get hit by a bus tomorrow! ;)

sophia Jan 26th 2005 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
Not a worry really, after all you could get hit by a bus tomorrow! ;)

You are absolutely spot on there girl! Life is WAY too short to be worrying about "what ifs"...there's enough stresses in everyday life without bringing something that "might" happen into the equation!! :rolleyes:

Just enjoy your life!! And...just supposing it did happen...would all that worrying have prepared you for it in any way? Nope...so just don't worry. ;) :D

Love sophia xx

worzel Jan 26th 2005 3:29 pm

I am reading Bill Bryson's latest book trying to explain science to the masses. I read last night that Yellowstone National Park suffers thousands of earthquakes everyday, it is just that no one notices.

5hit happens from time to time. You are just very unlucky if you happen to be in the toilet at the sametime.

moneypenny20 Jan 26th 2005 3:32 pm

The news guys really are scare mongers though. That article is all "might" and "could" and the every thirty year bit, where are the figures? Just jumping on the fears of people who obviously still have Asia Tsunami on their minds.

Just out of interest, how many people do die by being hit by a bus every year :confused:

worzel Jan 26th 2005 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just out of interest, how many people do die by being hit by a bus every year :confused:

My brother, my best friend at school's brother, the mother of the old lady who lived opposite my mum, someone in Croydon this weekend... :(

Not your fault but my blood still runs cold anytime uses that phrase.

moneypenny20 Jan 26th 2005 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
My brother, my best friend at school's brother, the mother of the old lady who lived opposite my mum, someone in Croydon this weekend... :(

Not your fault but my blood still runs cold anytime uses that phrase.

:eek: sorry :(

worzel Jan 26th 2005 3:45 pm

:eek: sorry :(

No offence taken :) . Just don't run for a bus in Chester

Carl B Jan 26th 2005 4:05 pm

The news guys really are scare mongers though. That article is all "might" and "could" and the every thirty year bit, where are the figures? Just jumping on the fears of people who obviously still have Asia Tsunami on their minds.

Agree about the scaremongering. Some UK papers recently ran a story that IF there was a volcanic eruption in the Canary Isles, this MIGHT trigger a tsunami which COULD hit the UK.

sula Jan 26th 2005 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling

If it happens

G

The Prophet of Doom has spoken! :scared: :eek: :(

Merlot Jan 26th 2005 4:15 pm

It is just another news article, either read it or don't.

I think Graying placed it as a topical conversation?

M :D

willmore Jan 26th 2005 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling

If it happens

G

Sorry for intruding. We live on the west coast of Canada, on Vancouver Island. We are constantly under the same threat that we are "overdue" for at least a 9.0 earthquake at any time, and this has been happening for a good number of years now. We get inundated with the same type of info from the radio and newspapers.

All I can tell you, is that we are a little concerned, but except from moving to another location, there isn't much you can do. If it happens it happens, and we have just decided to live our lives and not worry about it......

I know this probably won't help you much.....but truly try not to worry to much about it......because if it happens it happens....

Geordie George Jan 26th 2005 4:23 pm

It's a good philospohy, Willmore. There isn't a lot of point worrying about things you have no control over. :)

GG

Originally Posted by willmore
Sorry for intruding. We live on the west coast of Canada, on Vancouver Island. We are constantly under the same threat that we are "overdue" for at least a 9.0 earthquake at any time, and this has been happening for a good number of years now. We get inundated with the same type of info from the radio and newspapers.

All I can tell you, is that we are a little concerned, but except from moving to another location, there isn't much you can do. If it happens it happens, and we have just decided to live our lives and not worry about it......

I know this probably won't help you much.....but truly try not to worry to much about it......because if it happens it happens....

cadman Jan 26th 2005 5:07 pm

You think that's bad? anyone see the programme "Horizon" in the Uk the other week about "Global Dimming" ? :scared: :scared: :scared:

Grayling Jan 26th 2005 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Merlot
It is just another news article, either read it or don't.

I think Graying placed it as a topical conversation?

M :D

You are right Merlot.

Perhaps I should have put something on about Sun, beaches and bbq's :rolleyes:

This forum is not about lifestyle really

It is about dreams.

G